What linskys router model to buy

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by the mul, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a model of linsky to purchase, as I am going to have broadband installed in about a months time, I am looking to boost my defences with a router as well as using my software firewall, any help would be appreciated.
    It does not have to be this particular make, but I have read It is very good.
    I have windows xp pro installed and live in the uk.

Many thanks.

The Mul

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have been using a Linksys BESFR11 for several years now. I think the BESFR41 is the most popular wired model.

4. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I would recommend the BEFSR81, that's what I have and havn't had a single problem with it. I had a BEFSR41 and had problems with it, so much so that I returned it and paid a little more for the BEFSR81. I can't speak at all for any wireless model as I know wired is faster and more secure. I also know the BEFSR41 has problems still. Check out this recent article http://www.flexbeta.net/main/comments.php?catid=8&shownews=7912
    You can also read similar over at warp2search.net

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

6. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Many, many thanks for all your help in this matter and I will read all the info u have given me and look into what model I will purchase very soon.
    Have a nice day.

The Mul :D

7. In The Know

In The Know Guest

the mul

Whichever one you decide upon please make sure you use the full security features it has and make sure the router has WPA compatibility. Upon installing of the security make sure you use at least 21 digits for your security code and the letters A-F and 1-9 only (not case sensitive).

Also you may wish to post your choice just before purchase in case someone has any specific opinions regarding it.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

the mul,

I use a Linksys BEFSX41 and it's been fine. More recent firmware versions are improving - there's hope for those needing the advanced features. If you're like me and only use it as a NAT/SPI router, you won't notice the difference - they (the various firmware versions that is) all work fine.

Check out the hardware forums over at DSLReports for more information. They're segregated by brand and have lots of information and opinions.

Blue

9. quack(s)

quack(s) Registered Member

i like D-link!! Seems 2 b more reliable!

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

been useing linksys for a while now, absolutley no problems.

11. controler

controler Guest

If you are going to use Linksys which i do and is same model you should use wallwatcher with it. I use that at my lake place. At home I use an Actiontec which I really like. I have the Actiontec running hard wire and wireless.

controler

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Does anyone have some SIMPLE instructions on how to make the Linksys BEFSR41 and ZoneAlarm Free version work together? Thank you.

Acadia

13. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

What issues are you having? The only configuration you would want to make in ZA is to add the local network to your trusted zone.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.