Which Ubuntu installer should I use?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have a Pentium 4 3.4 ghz with 4gbs of RAM. I'm going to install Ubuntu on it, and use that as the only OS on the machine. I currently have XP Pro on it. Ubuntu home page says If you have an older PC with less than 2GB of memory, choose the 32-bit download. Why does it not just say use 32 bit OS with 32 bit processors, and 64 bit OS with 64 bit Processors? Will the 32 bit OS not recognize over 2GB's of RAM? The last I checked it's not possible to use a 64 bit OS with a 32 bit Processor lol If I followed their advice I might try to install the 64 bit OS on my 32 bit machine o_O Should I not use the 32 bit OS on my machine since it has a 32 bit processor? Bare with me here.. I have not used Ubuntu in a long time. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Try to run the command
    Code:
    lscpu
    from the terminal. If you have:

...you can run the x64 version. Otherwise it won't run at all.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

So if the command returns Architecture: x86_64 I should use the 64 bit OS?

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

AFAIK, that means that you're already running x64 OS.

So, bellow you should have "CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit", meaning that your CPU is x32 and x64 capable.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

I don't have the machine in front of me right now that I will be installing Ubuntu on. I'm getting ready to go get it. I tried typing the command you gave me (lscpu) into the DOS command prompt for testing purposes, and I got an error back. Did you mean to type that command in after inserting the Ubuntu disk once the installation begins to see if i'm using the right version? I initially though you meant to type it into the DOS command prompt. Actually I know how to see if it supports 64 bit or not without that command since I already have XP Pro installed on it. I should be good. I'm pretty sure it doesn't though.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  6. Cutting_Edgetech

Thank you for your help!

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

lscpu is a linux command.
    When you've booted the Ubuntu live session, open the terminal and type lscpu (ls stands for list).
    If it returns 'cpu op-mode(s) 32-bit, 64 bit', then you can use 64 bit also if you'd like.

8. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Sorry, i assumed you already installed Ubuntu x32. The command is to be run from Ubuntu terminal. My sugestion: download the x64 version. If it installs, that means your CPU supports x64 :)

Otherwise you can download CPU-Z and google for the precise model of your P4 (probably cpu-z will tell you right away if your cpu is x64 capable or not).

9. Cutting_Edgetech

After it failed I assumed it must be a Linux command. Thanks guys! I will try booting from the 64bit version first to see what happens.

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

cutting edge go for xubuntu 13.10 or linux mint 16 xfce base runs great on p4 you feel like windows xp

ubuntu is quite heavy on old computer also go for 32 bit they are super stable and awesomely great with support of PAE :))

i used 32 bit before it supports 6 gb ram no problem on linux mint 16 i download 64 bit my mistake so i installed it although i like 32 bit more than 64 bit .............:))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.