Windows XP Pro Freezes

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Today Windows XP Pro started to periodically 'totally freeze' requiring me to press the Reset Button. This has happened three times today.

The only change that was made recently was removing 2 X 1 GB DDR2 Memory Sticks and replacing them with 2 X 2 GB DDR2 Memory Sticks of exactly the same Brand and type as the 2 X 1 GB Memory Sticks. This was done 2 days ago. I ran a MemTest86+ Test just after installing the new memory and no errors were found. Today I ran a MemTest86+ Test again with no errors being found.

I ran the Seagate Diagnostics (Basic Test) on all three of my Seagate Internal SATA hard drives with all three hard drives passing the tests.

I used a Linux hard drive diagnostics on all three hard drives with all three hard drives passing the short tests. However, I did notice that my oldest hard drive was showing some sort of errors in a history.

Any suggestions on how to Troubleshoot my problem?

Thanks in Advance.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Probably the first thing to try is putting the old RAM back in, as that is the only change you have made.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. TheKid7

I ran two passes of MemTest86+ again with no errors being detected. I plan to run PassMark's Memory Test all night tonight.

I checked the one backup internal SATA hard drive that had the suspicious errors even though it passed the Short Self Test (GSmartControl).

"The Error Log Tab shows ATA Error Count: 835 (Note: Usually only the last 5 errors are stored)"

If the Memory Test tonight passes, I plan to pull the SATA power from the suspect hard drive and see if I get any more freezes.

I also need to run the full hard drive test on the suspect hard drive with both SeaTools and GSmartControl to see if anything shows up.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. TheKid7

I ran a full Seagate hard drive diagnostics on the 'suspect' backup internal SATA hard drive, and it passed. I have not had time to run a full Seagate hard drive diagnostics on the other two internal SATA hard drives.

I ran Passmark's memory tester for 8+ hours last night (several passes) with no errors being detected.

Soon, I plan to switch out the memory with the old memory that was working OK. If the 'freeze problem' does not come back, I will know that the new memory is the problem.

5. TheKid7

An experienced PC Technician recommended that I remove the RAM and install it again. I thought that this would not do anything since I was sure that the RAM was installed properly. I took his advise two days ago and have not experienced a PC Freeze since.

6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I just received a computer the other day with problems and relating to the RAM not fully in. If I don't feel it and hear the clicking in, I'll pull it back out and do it again .. just for insurance. When the RAM is up against the slot, I place my two fingers on the back of it and 'near' the both ends and push it in evenly. Then even after it is in, I even ensure I do a little push from the very center to ensure good connection always.

Anyways, I'm glad you have it resolved. :)

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm glad the problem is fixed, I'm not surprised that putting the original RAM back in fixed the problem.

8. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

Worth noting. Even if you think you have installed something like RAM correctly is only takes a fraction of an inch to cause an issue. Always, reinsert if its the last action you took.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.