AV Comparatives Oct 2013 Performance Test for Security Suites

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Inside Out, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

2. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Some interesting results. I never felt any slowdown using Nod and yet it did not get top score.
    It would be interesting to see Webroot tested.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The differences between all of them are so small that in my opinion it is not s deciding factor in choosing a suite. Effectiveness and stability are much greater factors.

4. Inside Out

Also, an AV is tested on either old/used computers (but how much so?), or completely fresh ones, which is the case in this one (far from real world conditions thus irrelevant).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Stupid test.

Example - Default Settings.

Kaspersky at default settings is lighter but could have less detections because of it. Where as GDATA a company that comes with its highest settings already enabled gets a slower score but has higher base detection because of it.

I could install any AV without any of its shields and get top spot, but what good is that? Same principle applies to all.

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Totally agree. The Avira Guard for example is scanning by file extension while other Real-time Monitors in this test are scanning All files!

7. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

For program execution, all files are scanned by the Avira file guard.

8. Inside Out

Don't AVC and AVT largely use the default settings for classic detection and dynamic tests anyway? It's not just performance tests. Despite being the OP, I agree that this test is highly inconclusive, but mostly for different reasons.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  9. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I am dissapointed that I cannot see if Emsisoft improved in regards to the last test. This time the full internet security suite was tested, the last time it was EAM 7 only. Hence I am unable to comprehend if the performance improved file guard in EAM 8.1 would have led to a better result. Now I am just seeing a worse result than last time and I don't know how much the addition of Online Armor factors into that.

10. siketa

siketa Registered Member

A lot, my friend...a lot!

11. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

They can't possibly test each setting so they stick to what most of people "shockingly" use; out of the box settings.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Indeed, unneeded complications for subjective preferences that won't necessarily solve anything or even reach an agreement.

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks for sharing.
    Curiously I'm seeing fewer comments than expected for this kind of tests.
    It seems that people still can't get over his shock after the latest av-c reviews :rolleyes:

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

An interesting read. It's not going to make me change my antivirus, since I don't use any at the moment. But, since for me performance is the single most important attribute for me when choosing an AV, I like to read tests like these.

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Same here, I like to read them but it won't change my opinion about a product. :)

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have always had the perception of Avira V14 being the lightest Avira in my experience, I also mentioned in some of my posts that Avira felt even lighter than Windows Defender on Windows 8, well these assertions are now validated by this test.

17. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Thanks for mentioning that. I had Intelligente Dateiauswahl (no idea what that is in English) which didn't seem to have any impact on performance that I could notice, but I'm trying out file extensions now. Which setting do you think is best?

As a suggestion, maybe the people who do the help file could add that in about scanning on execution.

18. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

same here. :thumb:
    performance comes first for power users who know abt security stuff. Still with WSA

19. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Agree!:thumb: :thumb:

20. Inside Out

Then again, Avira '14 has no in-house firewall.

21. Stefan your signature is incorrect. When Chuck Norris should be into security he only needed to know the hashes of the executable's on his PC to whitelist them to make an Anti Virus redundant (assumed he has implemented a deny by default policy).

As an amateur I have high expectations and respect to professionals like you, please don't spoil that image/imago with a flawed humorous signature.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thanks for the update!

23. ifacedown

ifacedown Registered Member

Yes, agree that effectiveness and stability should be top priorities, but still lightness is a very good factor to consider. The differences might be indeed small.

24. ifacedown

ifacedown Registered Member

I couldn't believe that avast is lighter than eset.

25. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

I have used both.
    Using ESET,I had turned of HIPS,Mailguard,and also webguard(ESET blocks lots of Iranian forums cause they present crack...
    Using Avast,I deactivated browser protection,mail shield and system update service
    Regarding Ram & CPU usage,Avast uses less resources.but about the effect on systems's performance,I ve seen no differences....they are both light

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.