BEST Apple anti-malware test as of yet- BIG pdf

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Blueshoes, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I need an electron microscope for this!

3. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

eScan generally does well on various platforms, and in this test its column looks rather similar to those of both Bitdefenders. Does that mean it (also?) uses BD's engine on every platform (unlike some others licensing it only for Windows etc.)?

PS. @ Blueshoes, Blackcat: I zoomed in on the PDF just fine.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

List is insane . . . they should have created a list with the percentages. :D

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I think you scrolled over the "303 Samples" row. ;)

6. Blueshoes

I think they did up top next to the name??

7. blasev

blasev Registered Member

thx for the info

8. Blueshoes

There will be a new updated pdf coming out late tonight or tomorrow with some updates to Dr Web.

The author of the test has now included FortiClient for Mac and it DID NOT do good at all I guess. Look for that added test in the new pdf. Some easier to read features have been added to the pdf too.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  9. blasev

blasev Registered Member

any update?

10. Blueshoes

11. blasev

blasev Registered Member

thx again for the info :thumb:

12. SecurityChef

SecurityChef Registered Member

It was updated again just now :)

13. Blueshoes

Looks like my phone call to Intego to ask them some questions on this test sure helped!!! Check all those MD5s and write some definitions.

Can I assume SecurityChef your are the Author of the test? If so, can you double check if they fixed VirusBarrier X6??

14. blasev

blasev Registered Member

wow I really like it, they update frequently.

15. Blueshoes

I have emailed the author of the test. He is a nice guy and right on top of any testing he can do. It looks as if he is going to retest VirusBarrier X6 again and see if they updated it. The last version he tested of VB X6 was 10.6.17 and my VB X6 is now at 10.6.20. He said he may test it tonight. I

It looks as if the author keeps updating and testing alll the programs when new Mac malware strains come out. It looks as if he will be testing all again with the new "Leverage" strain that just came out hitting the Mac. This guys site is a site to keep watching!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  16. SecurityChef

Yes Blueshoes, he is I and I is he :) I've just added the X6 results and updated the PDF, also added some notes in the comments of the post. Thanks for the love people, this is why I started it and keep doing it :)

17. blasev

blasev Registered Member

then I'll give you my thanks once again :D

I wonder why did you test forticlient 5.04? not 5.05, although I suspect the result should be the same.

18. SecurityChef

I just double checked. Version 5.0.4.116 is the latest version I could get from their website. Ran updates again too but only definitions were downloaded. If you have the URL to version 5.0.5 or the changelog I'll be happy to check it out.

19. blasev

blasev Registered Member

5.06 is out
    -http://www.forticlient.com/downloads/FortiClient_5.0.6.131_Installer.dmg-

they usually update the change log days after newest version, not right away.

so here are the 5.05 changelog :
    -http://docs.fortinet.com/fclient/forticlient-admin-505.pdf-

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  20. SecurityChef

21. blasev

blasev Registered Member

new result is out, forticlient 5.06 got 14%, and 5.04 got 12% LOL, what a bad result.

and WOW intego 2013 got 100%, even the free version got better score than avast or sophos.

many thanks to securitychef for making mac malware benchmark/test, I haven't seen anyone that come close to this. :D :thumb:

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes it's great to see that SecurityChef continues with this. :thumb:

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

One thing I miss that no of the big testing Orgs have done yet, is a performance test on the Mac AV's. To see if/or how much they affect the system performance.

But I don't know if that is doable for you or anyone else. :doubt: It's more of a question/suggestion to you SecurityChef to see what you think. :)

24. SecurityChef

Testing impact on system performance was always part of the plan but it has just proven to be too much work (if done properly). I've only finished a few of these tests so far for Avast, ClamXav, Dr.Web and Sophos and I don't think there will be any more. Hoping to keep these performance tests up for the top 3 or top 5 at least but for now they will be a little outdated.

Was hoping to see AV Comparatives step it up and do these tests as they have more man/machine power but unfortunately they haven't.

Just updated the PDF again, put Panda AV 1.6 back on the list. The new Panda version (Intego VirusBarrier clone) will not be tested and as even the old Panda version has identical results to Intego it's safe to assume they have been using the Intego database all along. So I'm not sure if I will keep including Panda in future tests.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see, no worries, you gave it a shot anyway :thumb: Just continue with the tests you currently do and we will be happy :D

Edit: I will check the above tests out too.

Yeah same here, but they didn't do one last year, and not this year either. Even if the report was detailed, It would have been nice to see a real proper performance test too. Yeah it was the "horse powers" that I was suspecting would be an issue when it's made at home so to speak.

Really, wow I have thought all the time that Panda had developed their Mac AV in-house AV engine and all. :blink: But I guess not, thanks for the info, good to know :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.