Microsoft EMET v4 review & extensive tutorial

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a very long, extensive review & tutorial of Microsoft Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit v4, including installation requirements and setup, the first-time wizard, overview of basic functions like import/export, applications & certificate trust options, profiles, reporting, system status and the mitigation levels - disabled/enabled, app opt in/out, always on, application setup using full path and wildcards, default action, mitigation settings, mitigation types, certificate trust setup with protected website and pinning rules, protection profiles overview and XML format howto, group policy templates, safe practices, recommendations, additional reading, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-emet-v4.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thanks for the Review & Tutorial.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Nice to have a new non-beta of EMET.

However does anyone else think having skins is kinda cheesy for a security application, especially one by Microsoft?

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

sounds interesting but there's no way i am installing 2 GB of .NET 4.0 just to install EMET.
    not to mention its Windows Updates which take forever to install. :thumbd:

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I don't know that it's cheesier than skins for any other security application :) Seriously though, skins are somethings useful because they can improve contrast/readability in the UI. I wish Microsoft would add skins/themes to their current Office products for this reason.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks, I'll have a close look at this. I've played with EMET in the past and eventually gave up because I found it too difficult to figure out which features were breaking various apps. MS has to make that process easier somehow, perhaps by including a pre-configured database of commonly used apps.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I'm with you moontan.. I found that out the first time I installed it. Never again...

8. Mrkvonic

That's what the first-time wizard does.
    And you can apply the same mitigations for other apps.
    Mrk

9. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Mrk,
    Nice review, as usual. I've been using EMET 4.0 for quite a while now, but your review did teach me a thing or two.

Thanks again.

Later...

Bob

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Nice review. It will be nice to pass on to others to save me from having to explain it myself. :thumb:

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Mrk is a bit late to the party but overall a good review and tutorial. He should have mentioned things like updating your ATI drivers if you want to test ASLR at Always On setting.

12. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

In this case, I find it very welcome considering the default all-white theme that I find annoying.

13. TheoPaulis

TheoPaulis Registered Member

I have a basic question about EMET and Microsoft Security Essentials...

Should MSE be added as an application under EMET?

Should any real time AV be added?

I have seen the question asked, but no definitive answers either way.

Thanks...

14. Mrkvonic

I would not do that. You don't what can happen if a kernel driver gets stopped by a mitigation. You might end up with a bsod. I would restrict the use of emet to user-space apps only, e.g. browsers, office, im, media players, etc.
    Mrk

15. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've been tempted to give EMET a try, but I'm not sure I need it and even with the tutorials I don't fully understand it.

Avast 2014, Webroot Secure Anywhere and Chrome browser seem to be handling things well - and I've got Shadow Defender that I use occasionally although with Google Chrome not sure that's needed.

16. an2tex

an2tex Registered Member

I added all of the exe files in my program files (both x86 and 64 bits) directory - there are really all of the software - lots of them. All the exe's mean even uninstall files, whatever are there. Because it does not occupy system resources that would not be a problem I believe.

However as the time comes some software starting to crash - I will modify the settings of the ones that crash.

I added Antivirus and Firewalls to Emet - would this create a vulnerability to their protection?

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

18. an2tex

an2tex Registered Member

Oh - Ok I remember reading that but forgot it when setting up EMET.

Thanks for pointing that out again.

I can revert to normal default settings with daily programs added.

But - well, now I think I will keep on trying to do what I do (keeping all software added).

This way I would be a guinea pig :oops: but would share my experience here.

However, I do not use many software, most of them are for occasional use - I am just a daily surfer and a bit MS office, kind of regular computer guy, nothing more. But putting all software in the settings of EMET would give some insight on the settings I made with EMET.

One more thing - today Firefox crashed with EMET error. It was in Sandboxie. I read elsewhere that that somewhat relatively complicated combos would have higher possibility of error in EMET - is that correct?

EDIT : I Read Above Again. And I will put all software except for security software. Appreciate for notifying.

19. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

When I double click EMET icon in taskbar, it gives an error "Admin Privileges Required", although I can open EMET through start menu. Is this a bug ? I have logged in as administrator with UAC disabled.

20. an2tex

an2tex Registered Member

This setup (adding all software in program files folder, without adding Antivirus and Firewall among them) works very well until now - I am giving this update for those who are reluctant to do so. As I read in many places, EMET is one of the most efficient tools for security, but not mentioned in too many places because it is not commercial and more effective than most commercial products. Most of you here know this I guess - but I am learning these newly.

Using with Sandboxie full, Avast, Comodo, and will be adding Malwarebytes Pro.

21. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Do you recommend disabling EAF when setting up Chrome under EMET 4 ?

22. an2tex

an2tex Registered Member

23. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I checked and saw that I still have an older version of EMET installed. Should I install the latest version over the top or do a fresh install?
    edit - nevermind, I did a fresh install

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.