AX64 restore name poll

Discussion in 'polls' started by Isso, Aug 2, 2013.

?

Best name for AX64 restore

1. DeltaRestore

15 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. HyperStor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SnapRecover

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. SnapReturn

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. TimeRestore

31 vote(s)
    46.3%
  6. Incremental Restore

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Live Turbo Restore

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. HyperRecovery

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good God, what have I started? If I even have Panagiotis and Peter arguing with one another ... AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH ... :D

Acadia

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No argument here. Users will either understand what is going on regardless of the name, or be clueless regardless of the name.

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

@Isso

Well, "AX64 Time Machine" is a hybrid imaging and snapshot program yet there's no mention of "imaging/image" or "snapshot/snap" in the name of the program itself.

Technically speaking, it's a program - not a "machine".

Obviously I can't speak for you but from here, one can sense/deduce that marketing needs overpower technical precision when it comes to the program's naming. If you ask me, that's a wise choice to attract users. To extend that to a feature of the program is only logical. It helps to keep in line with the "image" of the program (pun not intended) - that being "ease of use"

When one looks at the description of the program (the "tagline") on the homepage, one sees this:

Although "recover" and "recovery" were also used, "restore" was used more often down the page. Among the ones listed, "TimeRestore" fits in best with the tagline. Furthermore, it's easy to remember and with only 3 syllables (similar to "TimeMachine"), it's 'speedier' to pronounce compared to the other contesting names.

4. sevenstar

sevenstar Registered Member

TimeRestore for me!!
    Sevenstar:)

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I like SnapReturn because AX64 is a snapshot software and the name suggests that to people not familiar with the program. Also, it makes it sound like it'll return the computer to a previous state in a snap.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Hummm, my least liked name is the one most folks have voted for.

TimeRestore conveys nothing about the speed of the restore method and, as noted previously, would apply to either the on-line or off-line recovery mode.
    In fact, it would apply to any and all restores done by any restoration program.

The name of the on-line restore function should be as unique as the process itself. Calling it TimeRestore undermines the programs unique capability IMO.

Its a shame the poll could not be modified to include all of the suggestions. Perhaps there could be a runoff poll. The winner of this poll verses the other suggestions that did not make it onto this one.

7. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I'm confused by what you mean by "online" and "offline",
    could you please explain. Maybe I'm being a bit "thick"? :doubt:
    I wouldn't like the program to save data on/to a remote online server/repository.
    I like the name that the program has already AX64 Time Machine

Update Thanks for clarification stapp (next post down) and I agree, it is confusing.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Off-line restore (using cd)

Online restore (opening program from AX64 destop icon and doing the restore that way while Windows is running)

I think using the word online to describe a restore is so confusing and wrong. It implies you are doing it online at a website.

9. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

They know what backup is and they know what restore does (the general terms). And when disaster hits, the awareness suddenly takes a big increase, but nobody wants to get into the gears of the engine. Most want to do it, but they don't know where and how to start. We had an Alberta flood event recently here. Many lost all.

AXTM (with an external USB drive) is good at handling the dirty work and managing itself. I already convinced a neighbor to take the steps because they are not doing any backups of any kinds. I didn't mention imaging. I just said complete restore, not just your photo/documents. They understood that and liked the idea.

Something like "Time Restore" is very misleading because 1) It doesn't restore time. 2) Gives no emphasis on what makes AXTM unique. All other imaging apps can restore and take you back in time. That's not unique.

10. login123

login123 Registered Member

This is a suggestion from page 143 of the original topic. Only repeating it here to make sure it doesn't get lost.

"AXRestore Hot, With Windows Running"
    and
    "AXRestore Cold, From Boot Media"
    And there is your trademark, maybe.

Reasoning is this.

Most folks who follow such topics as this are pretty tekkie and have been for so long that they don't even think about it. What seems straightforward to us is completely obscure to many (most?) users.

Most people I know just want to turn the computer on and use it. (Me too, but I gave up on that idea long ago. :)) One of the principles guiding the development of AX64 all along has been simplicity.

Infrequent users might need a reminder that there are 2 restore options available, plus a quick easy description of the one they are about to start.
    Also, a reminder that the software is called AX64 doesn't hurt.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  11. Isso

Isso Developer

Folks,

Thank you very much for voting! TimeRestore is a clear winner, so Kent (puff-m-d) receives the free 4-pack license. Congratulations to Kent and thanks to everyone for participation!

Isso

12. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

You are correct in describing what I intended and correct that I should not have used those terms as they are indeed misleading.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Congratulations Puff-m-d! :thumb:

14. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Congratulations:)

15. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

Thank you Isso for the license (although not expected or necessary)! It is very much appreciated!

Also thanks for the congratulations from other members!

16. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Congrats Kent.:)

@Isso,
    so from now on the name will be TimeRestore?

Panagiotis

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Congrats Winner of the AX64 Restore name.

I been off a week or so and before I even knew this contest was complete, I made my choice TimeRestore then seen the long bar graph favoring that one. Then got on page 2 here and seen the results.

So once again Congrats! puff-m-d :thumb:

18. Isso

Isso Developer

Panagiotis,

I need to discuss this with my team members before we make the decision. We'll go with either TimeRestore or DeltaRestore.

Isso

19. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Make another poll TimeRestore vs DeltaRestore. I would go with the first one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.