Network Associates warms to behaviour blocking

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bigc73542, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Link to source story: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/04/mcafee_debuts_behaviour_blocking/

2. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Yes, i've been beta testing this, and its STUNNING the way it captures unknown baddies.

Save your pennies folks, this ones gonna be the one you want!

3. bigc73542

Mcafee is pretty good anyway but with behavior blocking also it could be really efficent.

4. Teddy

Teddy Guest

5. bigc73542

If you will, keep us posted on the long term usage. It will be interesting to see how it does after the non beta release.

6. This is going to be for the Commercial Client, right? Not the home user... and I hope it doesn't include the security center...

7. bigc73542

Should be able to use it on the home computer also.

8. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Watch Out guys & gals !

8.0i no work on 9SE/ME only on WinNT/2Kx/XP esp. SP2.

XP SP2 is a watershed release that breaks most AVs you & I use today -
    so if on XP Pro SP1 today, which AV will be first to support SP2 ? Looks like
    that's Mcafee 8.0i ?

Any insiders/beta testers here know which other AVs be already upto
    the formidable task of working well under XP SP2 ?

Thanks to those in the know & willing to share <g>

Ignoramus SKA

9. Can you point me to a link as to where and how much for ONE user..?

10. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Running latest rev of SP2 2142... KAV, Panda, NAV, PCCilin, NOD32, AVK, F-Secure, F-Prot all work fine with it. Some are not recognized by the AV checker in SP2 which is no big deal. All it does is verify if you have an AV insatlled, there is no real benefit to the feature.

Not sure where you got your info about it "breaking" av apps, but you're wrong.

Funny enough VS8.0 beta won't work with ZA 5.0. Getting BSODs when I try to run a scan.

11. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

Taz, that crash with McAfee is *NOT* caused by Zone Alarm.

You know what causes it? KAV products Alternate Data Streams... Seriously, I got the same error, had a suspicion, removed all the ADS's from my box, and it scans perfectly fine and everything is rosey. I don't approve of KAV's usage of ADS's, and its quite annoying to have custom little ADS's plastered all over my PC (100,000+ of them) after running his products..

Anyway, to remove them, get this: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#streams

Then Start:run: streams -s -d C:\

Then you'll not crash in McAfee 8.0i beta, which i've been running for the last day or so now and passing it though a battery of testing.. So far, i'm probably switching to this product completely when it launches, I love it.

12. dietcoke

dietcoke Guest

I thought ~snipped~ was labeled a flip flopper. But it seems Kobra changes AVs daily.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2004
  13. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Hmm... what other crashes did you have? I got some on-demand crashes, but that's it (in a directory previously scanned by KAV5, which I didn't notice).

14. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Maybe he likes testing things? Maybe this new Behavioral McAfee will switch a lot of people? After all, this is brand new thing as of a couple days ago you know. Seems to me the wise thing to do would be to constantly evaluate new products, especially ones with this level of breakthrough and not be afraid to switch to something revolutionary. Wouldn't you think?

Just my opinion, but I think the person that i'd question more, is someone with undying love and devotion to a product, even if a better product shows up. Thats just wishy washy.

15. Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith Guest

Remove the KAV Alternate Data Streams and McAfee 8.0i Beta2 doesnt crash anymore as the man said. That fixed me right up as apparently KAV ADS's create problems with many other programs. I have been running 8.0i since the 28th of May without a crash but I removed the ADS's right away because I don't trust them.

16. Concerned

Concerned Guest

This appears to be a business geared product. I cannot find any info on whether or not single-user versions will even be sold!

17. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Yup. Exactly as you and Kobra said. Removed ADS and everything works fine.

I am having some issues with web pages not loading completely when the computer starts initially and coming out of hibernation on my laptop is an iffy thing.

I'll also be curious to see how the licensing scheme works. Problem with McAfee consumer products is that the use them as a cross/upsell platform and have some fairly useless features built in. A lot of people just want a solid nuts and bolts AV.

Couple questions for someone that has this figured out.

- So does this have an integrated firewall built in? I was under the impression that it might. Trying to figure out the Access Protection module in the Console.
    - Framework Service - does this need to be able to access the net? Got a popup from ZA on it.
    - How often does McAfee issue updates?

System seems to be pretty snappy. All in all I like this beta.

**EDIT - Still getting a more than occasional crash with OD scan. Probably wait for the beta 2 refresh before I play with this again.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  18. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Which is easier said then done for me, since streams crashes before removing any sizable portion. (I'm having a problem with IE crashing with buffer overflow protection on however, which I thought Beta II would fix, but will have to do more digging).

McAfee currently only releases weekly+outbreak (with daily beta dats), they are apparently going to start daily updates sometime (not sure when).

There is no firewall yet, and dosen't seem to be any "behavior blocking" in Beta II besides buffer overflows.

19. Arin

Arin Registered Member

funny feeling, that Teddy sounds a lot similar to a person i know hangs out on this forum. anyway thanks for those informations.

when i uninstalled KAV 5 and used McAfee i didn't find any problem with ADS. maybe that enterprise edition packs some surprises. those ADS weren't harmful, only contains checksum of the file. but if you don't it you can cut it short but be warned that you might lose some legitimate ADS too with that tool.

AV+Firewall+IDS does sound great for a fast beast connected to the Internet.
    but for slower PCs and even worse with no connection it sounds kinda heavy. Firewall is like a wall and IDS is like keeping the door slightly opened so you can hammer the burgler's hand. so i wonder how they'll fare togather. i found that McAfee AV+Firewall can be quite heavy on the system. not that i'm complaining about the AV part but that firewall seems to hog the memory. after purchasing NeoWorks, McAfee lets you enjoy the fun of visual tracing. its a good point about McAfee firewall. i sincerely hope that blasted Security Centre won't be there and the updates will be more regular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.