GesWall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DX2, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DX2

DX2 Guest

Is there a product similar to GesWall for a 64b OS? I really like Geswall, too bad they stopped working on it..:(

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Maybe AppGuard?

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

and also SpyShelter :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  4. siketa

siketa Registered Member

SpyShelter is more like classical HIPS, not policy-based one...right?

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you add your browser to be restricted it will be a similar to appguard;)

6. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Right. Spyshelter is not like GeSWall. Defensewall is probably as close as you'll get to GeSWall; which is also not 64-bit. I used GW foe a long time without anything ever penetrating it. Too bad its dead because in its day it was very useful and strong.

7. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

BufferZone Pro is the most similar by far, but I'd prefer AppGuard.

8. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I think defensewall is the closest sandbox/policy based you can get to.

9. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Not even close jmonge. Learn more about the software you install instead of just installing programs and removing them.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ok let me learn :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is beginning to smell of crisis proportions. It's almost scary now that with the more wide availability of x64 bit systems gradually becoming more mainstream, end user's including myself are finding extremely limited security selections to rely on then with XP and 32bit. Seems some of our most favorite of good security apps which were very effective have been abandoned in one fashion or another.

I find this disturbing indeed. So far x64 has not only drastically narrowed the field but removed many of our once trusted sources which served us well.

GesWall is one of those definitely. There are some very effective HIPS gone either completely dormant or up and abandoned. I'm equally surprised that some of those authors/developer's may have sold off their source codes instead of sitting on them like say a Shadow Defender and resurging interest again by making them compatible for x64 versions.

12. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Gone are the days of interesting PC security IMO. So many companies are gone I know more soon will be.I really enjoyed geswall,I used it for years,and some day when I decide to upgrade my PC,I doubt Geswall with be along for the ride anymore.:mad:

Computer security was interesting with 32-bit systems,now everything is slowly coming to a crawl,with hardly any new software and more and more companies going out of business.

13. siketa

siketa Registered Member

True...but OP wants a 64-bit app.
    ;)

Hmmm....isn't BZ more similar to Sandboxie? :doubt:

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Agree 1001%

I hold out hope against all hope that some of those apps might just come back again at some point. We just don't. know yet but if not where are all the graduates of technology? schools, freelance developers, and even the simple hobbyists who some of them are sharp enough to contribute to producing useful x64 bit security applications.

The x64 platform simply needs more choices as 32bit systems before.

15. GesWall = Policy containment + Virtualisation (redirect), for x64 three there is nothing simular, other programs with can be used to achive simular protections

Policy container with deny execute (paid)
    Closest to GeSWall is AppGuard, only applies a deny execute on user space. With modern OS (UAC) it is very efficient in restricting applications in user space and protecting against memory intrusion of guarded programs (with near zero noise/pop-ups).

HIPS with policy containment (paid)
    Spyshelter HIPS has ability to auto allow (making it very silent), on top of that it has the option for deny all rules and run as restricted. Run as restricted plus deny all rule (for a specific program,) come close to policy containment.

Virtualisation with policy containment (free)
    Comodo's behavioral blocker/sandbox without D+ enabled (system wide),surprisingly D+ enforces the policy containment (e.g. partially limited) for sandboxed programs only. See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339661 should be clear enough to achieve GeSWall like protection for free on x64, make sure to add EMET and keep UAC on. Configured as in the link it should throw zero pop-ups at the user.

Because you exclude the user directories with documents, pictures etc from sandboxing, Panda free 2.2 with data shield protection would complement it nicely (add the directories you exclude from Comodo Sandbox to Data Shield of Panda), with Panda's data shield you will simular protection to GeSWall's Confidential option.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.