Spybot +AV version 2.1 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chachazz, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Spybot +AV not only provides detection and removal of adware and spyware but also antivirus protection. (BitDefender)

The beta version of Spybot +AV 2.1 includes a Professional Edition license valid for 30 days, so you can try and test all the features of the program.

Please note: this is still a beta version that should not be used on live systems. If you are curious about the new version or want to help us with testing you are welcome to use this version. Please use a spare system or a virtual machine for your testing.

New features and changes in Spybot +AV 2.1
    Here are some of the improvements in this new version:

• Antivirus scan (Home Edition and above)
    • Enhanced GUI: a simple view has been added to many components and the number of dialogues has been reduced.
    • Colour coded indicator on dialogue boxes for easy reference
    • MRU Scan: ability to tell Spybot to only scan the Most Recently Used files
    • Added scan mode to only scan for usage tracks
    • Improved rootkit scan, suspicious results can be scanned with our File Scan
    • Multi-core processor support in scan engine (Home Edition and above)
    • Live Protection
    • Internet Security: an integrated proxy server blocks access to suspect URLs (Windows 8 is currently not supported)
    • Improved ‘‘Protected Repair Environment’’ – now has its own easy to use Spybot taskbar
    • Updated Boot CD Creator allows to create your own Boot CD with Spybot 1 and 2
    • Boot sector scanning
    • Extensive white list for system files, now used in more Spybot components
    • Spybot now prompts you to create a white list when installed on newly commissioned systems
    • French and Italian translations now included by default

More info - download:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/private/beta-versions/

Forum announcement:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=68350

Spybot Start Center.png

Spybot Beta About.png

Spybot Beta 4.png

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Thanks, anyone wanna do a review?

3. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

What a horrible GUI.

4. gery

gery Registered Member

the GUI is so ugly

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It's not so much about its ugliness; it's more about its lack of simplicity. Even v1.x was easier to understand for people like my relatives, but this v2 is a heck of a mess. What were they thinking? Spybot v2 GUI should be redesigned from scratch and offer something more simple.

There are lots of antimalware apps with simple and easy to understand GUIs, so they should take those as examples. Heck.

6. ght1

ght1 Guest

+1 :thumbd:

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha lol couldn't they have picked another engine than Bitdefender, do we really need another AV using the BD engine. :D I mean there are so few AV's available that are using the BD engine :rolleyes: :p

8. ght1

ght1 Guest

I guess it's the cheapest AV engine and Bitdefender needs the money! ;)

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Maybe so, but they could still have picked another engine to make the product more interesting, I mean I wouldn't recommend the product without BD, and I still won't recommend the product with BD as there are other free/paid solutions that are using the BD engine already that IMO are a better choice.
    Really, I thought BD as a company was in a good shape?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  10. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Trust me, it isn't ;).

11. ght1

ght1 Guest

I meant money to hire some programmers for BD Free. :D :p

Back to topic: The BD engine is only available in the paid versions, am I right? :doubt:

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Is it secret or you can tell us now what other AV engines were you considering to buy before purchasing BD?

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well in that case I think they have enough people already, they just need to tell them what to do :)

Sorry, someone else have to confirm that. But I guess it makes sense since they are paying BD to use their engine, and they need to get their money back somehow, like from paying customers I figure :doubt:

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

the GUI looks like it was built for a Commodore 64

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Nothing wrong with commodore computers.:cool:

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Wonder if they added any behaviour blocker - AFAIK the BitDefender SDK now gives you the option to use their Active Virus Control.

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

The venerable Spybot that I stopped using it about a decade ago :'(

I love though how, year after year, they keep sending me birthday greetings to my inbox :-*

Long live Spybot!

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

All spybot now needs is a firewall and then we might possibly have a new full suite in the making.
    The basic ingredients are there.

19. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

is that the same as B-HAVE?

20. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

21. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Spybot back in those days was known for it's anti-malware capabilities. One can even say it was the cream of the crop. Somewhere along the line, other tools came about, improved and grew in usage, overtaking it. Just take a look at MBAM. I'd say that is Spybot's main competitor right now.

What Spybot needs is to regain it's popularity and market-share. Convince and regain the trust of the "old-timers". Including a firewall would be a nice addition but that would also mean more work and time devoted to fix problems, bugs and incompatibilities arising out of it. Sure, they can do that but one has to beg the question - why? Do they have the resources to do it and would it be worth the efforts? Being a "Jack of all trades" is nice but they don't want to be a "master of none". Focus on their strengths first - that's where the priority lies.

22. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

No. B-HAVE was a preliminary form and mainly referred to some kind of advanced heuristics that used sandboxing technology as well as generic detections. B-HAVE has been part of the BitDefender SDK for a very long time.

Active Virus Control is BitDefender's own behaviour blocker - they have chosen to provide this to the licensees as part of the SDK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.