New Version of MJ Registry Watcher with Service Mode!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Graphic Equaliser, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphic Equaliser

Graphic Equaliser Registered Member

I have released a new version of MJRW at http://jacobsm.com/mjsoft.htm :-

Changes 1.2.7.9 to 1.2.8.1
    1) Improved interface slightly by making more room for the buttons and rearranging menu items.
    2) Improved "Subkeys" button functionality and made its prompts clearer.
    3) Improved start up methodology to support service start ups.
    4) Implemented service version and stub loader. See help for more details on service mode under section "RUNNING MJ REGISTRY WATCHER AS A SERVICE".
    5) Added exemptions for registry session information being created and destroyed on login and logout.

Here is the manual section on service mode :-

RUNNING MJ REGISTRY WATCHER AS A SERVICE

You will need administrator access rights to set up the MJ RegWatcher Service. You can use the
    item under the Options menu to "Install MJ RegWatcher Service". REMEMBER TO UNINSTALL THE
    INTERACTIVE MJ REGISTRY WATCHER (using Options, Settings, Automatic Startup Options or
    disabling the scheduled task or Startup menu item) before you start using the service since
    they cannot be run simultaneously. Once interactive MJRW is uninstalled, and the service has
    been installed, you can start the service by running services.msc (or Administrative Tools,
    Services from Windows) and going to the entry "MJ RegWatcher Service Stub" and starting it.
    Once running, it will continue to run until the PC is shutdown, surviving logins and logouts,
    and automatically starting up when the PC is started (and before anyone logs in). If someone
    tries to terminate it without stopping the service stub, it will be re-launched automatically.

To remove the service, you have to stop the service running using services.msc (or Windows
    service manager with Administrative Tools, Services). Navigate to "MJ RegWatcher Service
    Stub" and stop it. Then launch interactive MJ Registry Watcher (by running RegWatcher.exe from
    the installation directory) and choose "Uninstall MJ RegWatcher Service" from the Options
    menu. REMEMBER TO INSTALL THE INTERACTIVE MJ REGISTRY WATCHER (using Options, Settings,
    Automatic Startup Options or enabling/creating the scheduled task or Startup menu item) if you
    want MJ Registry Watcher interactive mode to start up automatically when someone logs in.

The service has some important differences from the interactive mode :-

1) Only Accept and Reject modes are supported. Prompt mode defaults to and sets Accept mode.
    2) There is no tray icon or visible application interface. It runs invisibly.
    3) Keys and filespecs prefixed with $ to always prompt, will instead Accept or Reject depending on which mode is set.
    4) The configuration of the service is taken from that used by the normal interactive configuration.
    5) Only one instance of the service can be run at a time, and it cannot be run at the same time as an interactive session.
    6) To be informed about alerts while the service is running, you can :-
    a) Run the application mjrwmon.exe from the installation directory to monitor the service
    b) Use the alert sound set in interactive mode
    c) Use the email settings set in interactive mode
    d) Keep a view open and refreshed on the log file mjregwatchkeys.log

Enjoy!

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

GE: I looked for a thread about the new version but couldn't see any. Must be getting old!!

Anyway, here is my post from an older thread. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2209804&postcount=44 Essentially, I can't unzip the new version. I have tried multiple downloads on 2 different PCs and 2 different internet connections.

3. Graphic Equaliser

Han, try the download again. I did a fresh unzip and rezip of the files with default settings, and uploaded just now. Let me know if that helps.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

tyrying this nice program:thumb:

5. nikgrc

nikgrc Registered Member

I just know about MJ Registry Watcher and currently i' m trying it - Many thanks to the creator!
    However i have two questions:
    1) There are 43 alert sound .wav files in application's folder. Are all these files necessary or after i choose one in "Options/Settings/Set alert sound" menu i can delete all the others?
    2) Which is the default alert sound .wav file?

Thanks

6. Graphic Equaliser

1) Yes, you can delete the other wavs you aren't using.
    2) The sound set for the alert is called mjrwalert.wav, and when you set a new alert sound, the wav file you pick is simply copied over this file.

That means that once you have set your alert sound, you can delete all wavs except mjrwalert.wav

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

That did the trick! Thanks!

8. nikgrc

nikgrc Registered Member

9. Mr6686

Mr6686 Registered Member

Hi, I have a problem since today: at launch of RegWatcher I have a dialogue box saying "Could not launch C:\Program Files (x86)\MJRegWatcher\arwwdwin.exe txt 4180". :doubt:
    Some ideas to resolve this.

10. Graphic Equaliser

Try installing MJRW in c:\mjregwatcher instead of in c:\Program Files (x86)\mjregwatcher. HTH,

11. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

eh, i scooped up all those wav files and placed them in a "Sounds" subfolder. Much easier to find the main EXE now.

good program btw. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.