Strange PG Windows...

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by A884126, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

Attached Files:

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi A884226, Looks like your pguard.dat has got corrupted, several users have reported this animally. It has been suggested that is is a hard disk problem such as a bad file or defragmentation issue.

An easy way would be to use a recent system restore point - This will not effect any of your work files since the restore point was created.

If that does not work try this, disable Process Guard and kill DCSuserprot with Task Manager
    Go to windows\system32\ and delete pguard.dat - If you backed up the file re-instate it.
    Also do this, Start - Run - type chkdsk /f You will be asked if you want this to occur at the next reboot - Yes
    Reboot
    If you did not have a backup reboot and PG should create a new pguard.dat - Re-enter your protected list.

BTW - Save backup and re-install within Process Guard is already on the wish list :D

Pilli

3. A884126

What I just did was to uninstall & reinstall PG. Unfortunately I found again all these crap lines.
    Then I removed them one by one.
    About pguard.dat I did not know that I should save it. This file is now in my GenieBackup app.

I hope everything will be back on the block.

Pete

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi again A884126, I have pghash.dat & pguard.dat in a zip file just in case I lose my settings for whatever reason.
    You will have to do this in safe mode or with Process Guard completely disabled as both are protected files.

5. A884126

Thanks for the tip. Everything is back to normal!

6. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hello, Pilli! I don't see these two files in my PG directory. I'm assuming this only applies to the full version, not the trial version?

7. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Take a look in *:\WINDOWS\System32 for pghash.dat and pguard.dat (full version, not sure about trial).

Nick

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi D & C, See my post 2 where i mention the folder name :) as Nick S has also described.

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Sorry. I missed that. Thanks!

10. ReGen

ReGen Registered Member

Just adding to the reports you’ve already had about the ‘Program protection list’ losing all its information.
    I’ve just recovered from my second loss of this list, (I keep the 2 .dat files backed up) and in my case, both times this has happened whilst logging out of my wife’s account and then logging in to mine, but only when my wife’s account was the first one to be logged into after booting the PC. If I log into my account first (from which PG was installed) and then to my wife’s and then back yet again to my own, everything works OK. (I don’t use fast user switching.)

It may just be coincidence the above has happened twice while doing the same actions, but I’m sure every bit of information can only help aid the fixing of this problem.
    Ps: I’m using 2 new 120GB hard drives which are maintained by Diskeeper 8.

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi RegGen, You may have a point, because of the way that XP works and Process Guards low level diver ie. attaching to the first logged on (Admin) user although I thought this was just a Process Guard GUI / faste user switching problem.

Hopefully Jason will respond tomorrow with more definitive information.

Cheers. Pilli

12. ReGen

ReGen Registered Member

I repeated the same steps again as above. PG crashes when logging into my main account having previously booted the PC into a secondary account (both accounts have Administration rights). Restarting PG opens it with the list cleared. So I now have to remember to reboot the PC rather than just logging out. (After this happened the last time above I set Diskeeper to ignore the .dat files used by PG just in case - so unfortunately not the problem).
    I don't know if anyone else is having a similar problem with user switching (of the none fast variety)?

13. A884126

I found out that everytime PG lost its configuration it is due to a Windows crash (BSOD). It seems that PG cannot handle it.

14. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

CRAP!!!! this just happened to me too... and I had spent HOURS setting it up! I do NOT accept that this is due to a "bad file" or "fragmentation" that is total b.s. My machine did NOT BSOD/crash/etc I just did a nice calm reboot and when it came back up my PG settings were HOSED!!

When I booted up, I noticed a bunch of my tray apps didn't load, so I tried opening the PG console, and I got the Windows Error dialog box (such-and-such.exe has caused an error and will be closed...etc). Nooooooo!

This is a very serious bug that needs immediate attention.
    I am on XP SP2 with all the latest patches etc, a 3.4ghz P4 and 1gb RAM. If my machine can't handle this program, then what can??

/edit: here's my pguard.dat file (had to add .txt to the end to attach here) if DCS wants to look at how it might have gotten corrupted

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  15. LuckMan212

and here's my procguard.log.......

Attached Files:

16. A884126

PG crashed again but this time it was not related to BSOD.
    Actually I found it very unstable on my system. Then I have to uninstall it definitively. I am kind of upset as I paid for a prog that I cannot even use....

17. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

The newversion of Process Guard does address many of these crash bugs and is close to being released.

18. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I am pretty certain this issue has been removed from the next build. I think it has something to do with some miscommunication between the service and GUI application, possibly caused by a crash or BSOD.

19. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Luckman, A884126 - we're truly sorry to hear about the problems youve encountered, but as has been mentioned a brand new version with a lot of code changes is very close to release - a public beta may be available this week, so we'd encourage you to try that when it becomes available as I'm sure it'll fix the problem. All registered users will be able to upgrade to the brand new version absolutely free of charge.

20. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I had this problem a few times but I had new hard drives too so I can't really use PG until this and the user switching problem is fixed and the buttons disappearing when PG popped up if I switched accounts. Mine would work for a day or 2 and then these problems would occur so I just hope that these problems will be fixed with the next version.

One other problem I had was that when PG was effectively disabled due to corruption the icon did not warn me so I don't know how long I was using it unknowingly without being protected. It could be a really effective tool if these bugs can be ironed out.

Dave

21. LuckMan212

DCS guys thanks for your response. I understand that PG is a new technology and that we are all in some way "beta testers" -- I do not hold a grudge and will definitely try the new beta/release as soon as it is ready :)

looking forward to it.
    I feel "naked" without PG!! :'(

22. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The new version does have no problems with multiple user accounts, switching, logoffs, etc :) We will try to get that beta/full release to you soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.