ClamWin antivirus, new and free antivirus!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zorrozorrito, May 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zorrozorrito

zorrozorrito Guest

I found today this new free antivirus, what do you think about it?
    I see it only integrates to outlook not to outlook express and the on access scanning is diferent.
    I found this free antivirus here:
    http://www.clamwin.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
    It would be good to have your opinions here.
    The database is not too big, but it is new.
    Besides I see this AV is open source.

2. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

I have download it and installed and it is good.it takes 18,980 kb in memory.If you have questions ask me

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To zorrozorrito from Firefighter!

I have just finished my 1344 infected archived files scan with ClamWin 0.35.

Very promising results from a totally unknown av to me. Overall detectection against 128 riskware, 381 trojan like malware and 835 different kind of viruses surprised me positively. Total protection between AVG 6.0.679 and NOD32 v2.0 upd 1.772 with AH. Clearly better than AVG 6 has.

Against trojan like malware: Weak, the same level as AVG 6.

Against riskware: There are weaker, a bit better than Avast 4.1 Home and much better than AVG 6, the same leaque with Panda Platinum 7.05.07.

Against viruses: Overall more close to NOD with AH than AVG. Weakest in my tested av:s against macros. In Win32 viruses near AntiVir 6.25.075 and better than AVG 6. In BAT viruses surprisingly good, better than the whole team, AntiVir, Avast, AVG and NOD, near Panda Platinum. Finally against worms that were mainly I-Worms, IRC-Worms, P2P worms, Win32 worms etc; the same leaque as Avast and AVG, better than NOD.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  4. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

@Firefighter:

For how long is Panda Platinum better than NOD32? :rolleyes:

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Firefighter

To Kloshar from Firefighter!

As the topic was about ClamWin, I'll say only that Panda was clearly better than NOD with AH among trojan like malware (Backdoors & trojans, TrojanDroppers, Exploits), in worms and especially in BAT viruses.

In riskware (Constructors, PolyEngines, VirTools and Jokes) Panda was able to beat NOD only in Polymorphic Engines when NOD beated Panda in this area as a whole clearly. Those detection rates are not so important, when I have tested only 1344 infected archives.

As a summary, my comments are only based on my own tests.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

7. Stephan123

And is this clamwin better dan AVG?

8. Firefighter

To Stephan123 from Firefighter!

In my own tests ClamWin was clearly better than AVG 6 but ClamWin was also weakest against macro viruses, but AVG was even more poor against BAT viruses.

You have to remember that ClamWin has not a realtime scanner too.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. Stephan123

thanks for your answer Firefighter

I don't use macro's.

10. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Thanks for the info Firefighter(and Zorrozorrito of course for presenting it).I like open source programmes :D

Just installed it as my 3rd on demand antivirus :D

11. Firefighter

To Stephan123 and Hyperion from Firefighter!

Thank you! :)

12. Arin

Arin Registered Member

well open source AVs will be vulnerable due to its OPEN SOURCE. i don't think it'll provide extra security than other free AVs. but if you guys are interested then check this one out.

http://www.openantivirus.org/

13. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

Wow Firefighter, I am very impressed with your tests.:)

14. Hyperion

I knew about the openantivirus project,but it's still too unreliable.

Clam seems to have more history on its back ( i found out it has a Linux version too).

Open antivirus like Clam may have some dangers,but on the other hand, it is also more "unpredictable" and since not known yet,it may be a good resource to have.I 'll keep it and see how it behaves.

@Firefighter,we should thank YOU, i prefer any real life test over any "virus bulettin".

15. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

This thing has no resident protection, you say? How does it compare to F-Prot for DOS?

16. Hyperion

Yep,it has on demand scanner and you can also scan a file by right clicking on it and chosing Clam from the menu.Very simple in functioning,has a cosy option to put scan priority to "low" too.Has a quarantine and more configuration options.

17. kmno4

kmno4 Guest

ClamWin is not only a free AV, but also completly Open Source, and it doesn´t have a linux version too - it´s based on ClamAV, a GPL Virus Scanner for Linux/Unix plattforms. But there are 2 weak spots:

ClamAV - the scanner it´s based on - was made for mailscanning and the focus is on mail-worms. It covers many other malware too, but stuff like Sasser don´t seem to have a very high priority.

The second thing is the missing ability to detect polymorph viruses. At the moment it can "only" scan static malware, which seems to work for most mailworms.

However, the developers use to point out, that it is under development - so we have to wait and see. I like the thought of having an open source AV. Was one of the last ressorts for the commercial software vendors. :)

18. meneer

meneer Registered Member

For some 2 years I'm running ClamAv on my sme server (a linux internet server/gateway/firewall,). It integrates neatly in the amavis mailscanner on that box (combined with spamassassin). Since installing it, I received almost no e-mail virusses and worms, it's stopping 99%, just a few reaching my The Bat! e-mail client. Those remaining were tackled by Outpost Pro, so no harm can be done.

Just a word of warning: itś based on an open source virus databse. This means of course that the creating of signatures is an open source effort. The efficiency relies on the avaliability of virusses and experts.
    As far as I can recall Clam was very quick on the blaster signatures (beating most commercial products), but late with sasser (most others beat clam). So, there you have it: a very nice e-mail scanner, recommended. But be ware how and were to apply it.

19. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If you want the best free antivirus there is only one choice and this is avast! Home Edition. Fully functional antivirus with wide customization freedom,very good detection rate and incredible support on their forums. But its nice to see even more free products out there and for now i hear only good things about this AV (its apperantly better than AVG6) :)

21. kmno4

kmno4 Guest

congratulation! you succesfully entered the marx-trap!

ClamWin uses the ClamAV signature database - the reason for beeing slow with the sasser is simple - it´s not a mail-related worm. ClamAV is made for mailservers on unix/linux, a sasser worm is usualy never seen on a mailserver.

By the way - best known for slow definition updates? The first AV that recognized the MyDoom, hours before any commercial vendor released an update - the first that stopped the Netsky.B (Worm.Somefool) - and you talk about slow updates? Sorry - you have realy no idea what you talk about and only repeat what others tell you. That´s poor!

22. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

and posting from a guest account is even poorer.

Sorry, but Clam doesn't perform very well, has one of the smallest defintion databases out there, and is slow on releases. PC'Welts next outbreak observation should clear that up nicely.

23. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Let's keep this civil gentlemen - Different opinions, ideas, beliefs etc. can easily be expressed without the use of personal remarks.

24. kmno4

kmno4 Guest

PC-Welt wont clear up anything - just another test made by Mr. Marx that ignores the facts and wont tell the full story. If you would take a closer look on various mailinglist or on the clamav homepage, you would find out about the real response times. <snip>. Oh - maybe you should take a look at http://www.pcwelt.de/news/viren_bugs/37827/2.html - faster than 18 other commercial vendors....

no personal comments (as stated) - Detox

25. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

Thats pretty good. So apparently they CAN do fast definition releases. But still, I think the biggest issue for them, is their total lack of database to begin with.

http://www.clamav.net/

"detection of over 20000 viruses, worms and trojans "

That to me, seems like very little, or no protection.. But hey, I could be wrong.. Also, thanks for the PC-Welt link, interesting to note that RAV and Norman picked it up before it was defined - and the Norman sandbox works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.