Uninstalling Outpost Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hogndog, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Go to settings you'll see where it says General, open it and look halfway down the window at "enable self protection" that box has a tic in it by default. I don't know if anyone has attempted this so I'll ask the question, has anyone tried removing the tic and at the same time added Revo Uninstaller to "Exclusions" Outpost is using that self protection to prevent any attempt by malware to monkey with its settings, and that may be the reason I've heard people were having problems uninstalling it.. I'm not recommending this approach, just say its when all else fails. That is to say there are recommended ways to uninstall an application, be it any software, and especially security software, i was just curios is all..

Thanks..
    Hogndog

2. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I think the best way to uninstall a product is to use the original uninstaller. I think the developers of that program know better how to uninstall their own software, which steps to do, in which order. I heard many times people complaining that programs are not uninstalled correctly when using 3rd party uninstallers.

3. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

I am guessing that is why Agnitum wants you to run clean.exe from it's program folder while running in safe mode so that it's self protection would not get in the way.I have only ever tried clean.exe in safe mode and it worked perfectly for me.

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Clean.exe is recommended to run if the standard uninstaller fails to remove the software properly. But not the way around. Always better to go with the normal procedure before proceeding with emergency solutions. :thumb:

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I do a clean install each time I do an upgrade with OP. I just click uninstall and that's it. At some point you're asked if you want to save settings, and then you're done. ;)

6. hogndog

Thanks guys, the reason i wondered was that i tried uninstalling the Pro trial with Revo Uninstaller and i had one big mess on my hands, then i saw this option after the fact, and that's why i included the last two sentences.. Just wondered if anyone had tried that method to uninstall OP

Thanks again..
    Hogndog

7. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

To answer the OP.....I guess it could not hurt to take these extra precautions prior to using
    These two posts refer:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2186369&postcount=14

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2186613&postcount=18

My impression is that if you are updating to a new version - just do a normal uninstall.

But If you want a clean uninstall with all traces of OP gone inorder to install something totally new, use clean.exe here...... http://www.agnitum.com/support/kb/article.php?id=1000159&lang=en

For what it's worth, it makes sense to me to disable any running processes of the program that one is trying to uninstall....like disable it starting with windows, and disable self protection.

-cheers,
    feandur

8. hogndog

Thanks for that Feandur, after i uninstalled the pro version i installed the free suite, and I'm impressed with the way the firewall interacts with the user.. :)

9. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Thats the way I do it also!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.