NOD32 on Windows 8: Broken GUI Fix

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Paul Coddington, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Coddington

Paul Coddington Registered Member

Some of you may be having user interface problems with NOD32 6.x on Windows 8.

Shortly after installation, usually the next reboot or after installing other software, the user interface (especially the advanced configuration dialog) malfunctions. All checkboxes vanish, all buttons become text only with no controls, all tooltips become solid black text-less boxes, and the option selection tree is no longer expandable. Obviously, the user interface is practically unusable under these circumstances.

I suspect that NOD32 is upset with there being different versions of runtime libraries on the system than the one it is using.

I have found this problem can be resolved by making sure that the installation folder for NOD32 (C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus) is added to the %PATH% variable.

This is a tentative workaround I am using on x64, it may not work when more software is installed.

UPDATE: This fix is not holding - after a time, the problem reappears. Playing about some more, it seems that changing the path triggers something which fixes the problem, then something else changes which brings it back. I have posted a support request with ESET and will update this when I know more about what is going on.

Paul Coddington
    http://pinkaxolotl.com/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.