Geswall with Chrome

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Boost, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Anyone using Geswall free with Chrome browser? Geswall works perfect with Firefox.When used with Chrome,Chrome browser crashes.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried briefly on XP and could not resolve the issue even after adding some custom allow rules. Sadly GesWall is already dead.

3. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Have you tried Pro version?

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I used it end 2012 on a Windows 7 installation. No problems with Chrome.

I suggest you save your GeSWall.dat file, uninstall GeSWall, install the Pro version again, use appwizard to get it working and export the rules to text remove Pro and re-install Free with your saved GesWall.dat file, delete the old Chrome entry and copy the rules from the saved text file.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There is no difference in pro and free version regarding chrome.

6. Kees1958

No but the appwizard is a difference. At least I think it is not working in the free version. Therefore the switch to Pro. to generate additional rules

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Will try it.

8. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

For me, GeSWall ruins the newest browsers. I had to remove it from my Mom's computer as neither IE9 nor Chrome would work. Plus, it has not been updated in a while, and is abandoned. It was a great product, but it is dead now.

9. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Will try this later and report back.

10. Kees1958

When using AppWizard, first start chrome using new tab as startpage, then when this works, repeat this (using appwizard) with a real howpage (so it connects out on startup).

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Export the rules to text,where do I find "the rules"? Everything works fine with Geswall Pro,let me know how to export the rules and I'll see if everything then works in the free version of Geswall.

12. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I found the rules,but couldnt export the rules to text,so I decided to just stick with firefox for now.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You need this rule as Allow. No crashes. I tried redirect but that also causes crashes.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      51.2 KB
      Views:
  14. Boost

Boost Registered Member

:argh:

Thanks Aigle,will give it a run later tomorrow during the snowstorm :eek:

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You are welcome. Let us know the result.

16. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

I still do not understand the whole process, how and where do you save GesWall dat. file?
    How do you use appwizard to get it working as well as export rules?

17. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Is there anything like geswall? It was my favourite security program till I started using 64b and they stopped updating it...

18. Kees1958

Your current rules are saved in the file GeSWall.dat. This file is located in GeSWall directory in C:\Program Files\GeSWall. Copy this file to a safe location before uninstalling GW-Free.

When you have uninstalled free and installed Pro, go to the folder where Chrome is located. Right Click on the Chrome executable and an option Application Wizzard should appear, run this several times and let the Wizard add rules to your Chrome section. MAke sure Chrome connects out to the internet by adding a real startpage.

After Chrome rules are added, go to GW console. look for Chrome and right-click to export the rules in a text file. When you re-install the free version again, just after the GW question "do you want to reboot now", you choose NO and copy your old GeSWall.dat file over the new version. After re-boot add the rules manually from the text file (there should be some import function also, but I don't recall it)

I am not using GW, so the above is recalled from memory. Maybe Aigle can help you out, he is still using GW.

19. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Same here. Unfortunately I haven't found that program either. There are some products which do not use the same overall security logic but work, Sandboxie, Bufferzone, Defensewall to name a few.

Ice

20. CoolWebSearch

What do you mean by that? And do you also use GesWall?

21. CoolWebSearch

How about saving Geswall Pro version rules in geswall freeware?
    You said also I need to save geswall pro version rules in dat. file in a safe place, than uninstall pro version than install free version and somehow use saved dat file from pro version in geswall freeware version?

22. IceCube1010

I wish I could use it but all the operating systems that I work on are 64bit. I meant the other programs might work with Chrome is a similar fashion.

Ice

23. CoolWebSearch

But what did you mean by this:
    "Same here. Unfortunately I haven't found that program either. There are some products which do not use the same overall security logic but work, Sandboxie, Bufferzone, Defensewall to name a few."

It sounds like you're saying GesWall is more secure than mentioned software applications (Sandboxie, Bufferzone, Defensewall)?

I have hard time to swallow this.

24. Kees1958

Yes that is the well known trick to use Pro data base (and protected programs) with Free version

25. IceCube1010

No. It means they might not use the same type of security logic as Geswall but work just as well. I have tried Sandboxie and found that very good. Bufferzone I had problems with but I liked their gui and Defensewall I only read about.

Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.