Latest update ess v6 install fails, leaves a corrupted mess behind

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tommy456, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

Ess v6 alerted me to a new build today , so i selected to install it via the button, the updated version was downloaded, then followed by the un-installation- installation routine which failed to complete fully, resulting in my pc being totally stopped/locked up ,I had to power cycle it,

So nothing has moved on since the first final version then, nice to know that the devs don't listen to us any more, or maybe they would of fixed this non sense
    Here's some screens of the abortion that isn't working at all that it left me with
    Borked esset instal.JPG

borked eset 2.JPG

borked 3.JPG

As you can see it's the older version, no updated files ,So i guess it will be more of my time taken up un-installing this sorry mess, in safe mode using the un install tool and re installing again

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Forwarding this on to our product managers. Just a few questions to help them.

During the initial upgrade installation, how long was it 'locked up' before you powered down the computer?
    Did you receive any error messages during this process?
    I also see in the screenshots that the product isn't activated. Was the product activated when you first attempted to upgrade to 6.0.308.0 through the program window?

3. tommy456

tommy456 Registered Member

No error messages installation stopped somewhere near the end of the process, or what appeared to be , Pc froze /locked up no mouse nothing, left it for 1-3mins before powered down the pc

The product had been fully installed & working , and was activated prior to the upgrade

A similar issue also occurs when you try to repair the product, again it fails to complete locking the pc up, But can be uninstalled , The eset uninstall tool found 2 entries

1. ESS/EAV/EMSX
    2. NODv2

What is NODv2? Both where deleted

4. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

after the update mess from rc to full version I did the following

1. use unlocker to release charon.nb from ekrn.exe
    2. use unlocker to release all those logs from ekrn.exe

Than ran the update - smooth and no problem - restart and 6.308 is running

5. paparcc

paparcc Registered Member

I had a very similar problem. The update from within ESET failed to install properly. I tried to reinstall but could not as the response was the program was already installed. Then I could not uninstall as the system did not recognize v6 as being installed. What a mess! I downloaded from ESET a command line uninstaller....that didn't work either. Took several hours of manually deleting files and registry entries, downloading and reinstalling on a desktop and a laptop.

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The ESET Uninstaller Tool should allow you to reliably remove ESET's software when run in Safe Mode. If you are experiencing problems with this, please restart the computer and allow it to run as normal, run ESET SysInspector to generate a log of the system's configuration, and contact your local ESET office for technical support so they can review what might be causing this behavior.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.