Symantec System Recovery (SSR) 2013

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by cruelsister, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

SSR 2013 was released a few days ago and has Win8 support.

In brief:

Full 32-bit and 64-bit driver support (includes 2 recovery disks).
    The Recovery Disk is built on WinPE 4.0 (Windows :cool:, which has native support for USB 3.0, native support for the new NTFS file system (including dynamic volume creation from the recovery disk), and inclusion of all Hyper-V™ mass storage, mouse integration, and network adapter drivers.
    All-in-one backup and recovery from a USB device you can create.
    Additional flexibility has been added to the customizable recovery disk wizard.
    New 'Smart Reconcile', which eliminates the 'reconciling volume...' lag issue after an improper shutdown. Incrementals are created faster.
    Microsoft-qualified for WIndows 8.
    uEFI backups and recoveries.

It seems much peppier than the 2011 version. Updated rumor has it that Ghost may see version 16 sometime in Quarter 1 of 2013.

Link to Desktop Edition: http://www.symantec.com/system-recovery-desktop-edition

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Apart from Windows 8, WinPE 4.0 and UEFI support, not much changes in its program:oops:

3. cruelsister

USB 3 support also. But otherwise you are correct- but that's a good thing! No bugs, so no bug fixes, and as the program is without doubt tried and true any intrinsic change would be a step down.

4. Gorkster

Gorkster Registered Member

I had been watching for Ghost 16 for a very long time so will find it interesting to see what they come up with. But Symantec waited (far) too long and I moved on and am happy with my current solution.

Thanks for the info!

5. andylau

andylau Registered Member

What Symantec System Recovery changes, then what Norton Ghost 16 changes too.

You can see Norton Ghost 16 as a home version of Symantec System Recovery:D

6. cruelsister

Although I totally agree that it would have been nice to have a new Ghost sooner, Symantec's product development in this area has been the Corporate product first, then the retail. And I really can't fault them for this as they want a rock solid product day 1 (I can assure you that the Beta phase was long and a pain for those testing).

As to being happy with an alternative, that for me is essential. Personally I never will run an important system with only a single Imaging solution in place. Data backup is just too important for one to only rely on a single solution.

7. claykin

claykin Registered Member

As someone else said, Ghost16 will be a feature stripped version of SSR 2013. Their GUI's are identical. Typical differences with Ghost is they strip off VMWARE support, Win Server Support, Remote Management, and restore to dissimilar hardware.

In 2013 restore to dissimilar hardware should be included with Ghost. I doubt Symantec will include it as they like to keep $50 consumer products low cost for their support dept.

That said, just buy SSR2013 desktop edition with 1 year of essential support services and you'll be OK. No need for Ghost.

8. Gorkster

Gorkster Registered Member

Well, I waited far too long for the current version of SSR too; gave up before that was released as well. The company just dragged its feet too long so I moved on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.