Ad Muncher 50% off

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Seeker, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

From now until the end of the year, Ad Muncher can be had for half price. With version 5 around the corner, now would be a good time to buy.

Link.

2. d0t

d0t Registered Member

Does it play well with WSA? I really want to give it a try :)

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Nice price, Having Ad Muncher now for a few years, I refuse to surf the net without it. :D

Give the trial a spin.
    http://www.admuncher.com/

4. The Seeker

Works fine. In fact, I've been using the two together since the start of the year.

5. The Seeker

Same! Been using it since Jan 2006.

6. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

good offer must have for anyone who uses the internet!

7. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

Perfect timing. Mine was up for renewal.50% off was a steal for such an essential product. I have no problem supporting such a great group of guys like Jeff and Murray. Looking forward to coming improvements.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Why wouldnt i just stick with adblock plus?
    Excuse my lack of knowledge concerning admuncher but dont they both more or less do the same thing and adblock is free.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

AdMuncher can't filter ads through https and, ironically, the sites I'm on the most (checking email, youtube & facebook) use https or will be using it soon enough. AM also has had trouble stopping fly in ads and videos from yahoo the past year or so. So it looks like AM will become useless to me soon enough. And then it's the free AB+ for me.

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Its claim to fame is that it works across all browsers. But that's not such an issue anymore now that we have most browsers being able to use extensions and IE 9 being able to use TPLs. Last I checked, Admuncher was expensive as hell if you wanted to do the logical thing and never pay for it again. I'm certainly not subscribing to an ad-blocker.

11. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

As others have said. It doesn't block all adds. I can get ABP do the same job for free. Perhaps if it was $20 I would have considered.

12. The Seeker

This will be rectified with version 5.

13. guest

guest Guest

Does Ad Muncher get rid of those annoying Skype Ads? - I never bought it so far because I always thought it would be too expensive (being an adblock plus user for years), further I didn't like or didn't feel comfortable with the whole proxy idea (as an online banking user) but always liked the feature to kill ads in any given browser, though I found it strange doing it by size and then leaving text behind instead of ad.

But unfortunately for the developer I do use only Firefox (always latest beta, which gets always faster and snappier on my system! :thumb: ) and in the meantime all my installed (but unused) reserve browsers have something similar to adblock plus installed just in case I need it, so I really hesitate to buy that program even for a nice discount.

But hey, if it could eliminate those pesky flash ads in Skype or maybe kill the whole frigging homescreen I would probably think about it. :)

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Well that's good to know. Blocking those video ads with AM was about the only cure I ever found for them...until the https issue came along.

Can AB+ or any other ad blocker currently block ads appearing in https or in video ads?

15. d0t

d0t Registered Member

I'm testing it right now but I can't answer you because I blocked them in a different way.

I can't find the exact link, but there's an article written by a Wilders member (Mrkvonic) here: http://www.dedoimedo.com, teaching how to block them :)

16. Creer

Creer Registered Member

17. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Even with 50% off the price points are still too high as many in this thread seem to agree.

Adblock w/Subs does essentially the same thing, although not at the port80 level, they are functional enough, and free. Adding in Malware Domain lists for example; https://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions Given ALL browsers now support Adblock or Adblock formatted lists, they do the job well enough for free. Even Maxthon can load ab formatted listings, and I think there is a plugin for IE that can as well. Years go Admuncher was a breakthrough, now it's optional.

I'd snatch up Admuncher in a second if the price point was less. Especially less for multiple PC's in a household. I cannot justify a yearly fee for an adblocker, much less $150-$200 for a lifetime. Based on my research it appears a common theme with this product is that it is too expensive for what it does. Multiple forums and blogs seem to complain about the price point (yes even with discounts). When you can get multimillion dollar products like Webroot for free or cheap, paying $200 for an adblocker is ludicrous. I love supporting small developers, but I also don't like getting ripped off.

18. Bodhitree

I have tested this product, there are things I love about it, and things I do not like.. First what I do not like, or issues I noticed;

1) It seemingly can cause browser freeze. When disabled, things worked fine. Strange, couldn't isolate why and I would need more testing.

2) It has a toolbar that pops up when a popup is blocked. It's annoying, and there is no way to disable it apparently. I do not see any purpose to this thing and it just grinds me to have it pop up.

3) The interface and options are archaic, giving me flashbacks of 1990's programming. It is in serious need of a rewrite away from Visual Basic or whatever they are using.

4) The licensing system is hardware locked.. New hardware and you might be out of luck with your lifetime license. I dislike draconian activation systems and dialhomes, and this is rife with them. Unless they are 'extremely' liberal with reactivations, this could be a serious issue for anyone that changes hardware often. (like me)

5) It appears blind to HTTPS pages. Given that most of us use HTTPS-Everywhere, and the vast majority of my browsing these days is HTTPS, that pretty much knocks this product out. AdblockPlus works with HTTPS, this product does not.

My verdict is, it's got amazing potential but needs much more regular development and resources put into it. It seems to be behind the curve quite a lot! Last revision was in July, and there have only been a couple of versions released in the last 3 years, and only a couple versions back it didn't even support Vista. That's not too comforting to me. In close I see absolutely no reason to buy it, let alone use it. Perhaps in the next major revision it will be up to speed with modern machines, requirements, and situations. They need a 64-Bit version without a doubt, a modern slick interface, better layout of options, etc.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  19. The Seeker

Not sure why this is happening; perhaps contact support.

Clipboard Image.png

The entire codebase is being re-written in C (for porting purposes etc); it was once written entirely in Assembly.

This is untrue. I've used my lifetime license on three different machines now.

SSL support will be introduced in version 5.x.

20. Bodhitree

Hardware authentication data (Activation Info) was provided by Jeff himself to me. Basically he said it 'tags' your hardware.

I do really like the idea of this product, and like it's functionality. I am close to buying a license for 3 PC's even though I think it's quite high in price. Ideally Bullguard would nix their BG graphic on blocked ads and I would use that. But it is what it is.. LOL!

When is 5.0 coming out?

21. guest

guest Guest

"Hardware authentication data"

I have always been able to use my grandfather'ed key
    on any machine I want put it on without a problem

22. Bodhitree

Meh you guys are rough on my pocketbook.

I picked this up after testing it. Can't resist the 50% off even though I consider it still high.. IT WORKS. It frees up my browser plugins/loading, and actually seems to speed loading of pages overall. Also, I tested 3-4 other similar solutions, and each one 'dramatically' slowed browsing to the point it was pissing me off.

Let's hope I don't regret this purchase down the line..

23. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Same here, never any problems.

24. Bodhitree

Love the product, it really does seem to speed browsing. But a couple garbage web pages (such as Times) can freeze it for a second. I will send it tickets. Only other complaint is it replaces background ads on Youtube with a white placeholder or something.

I use Magic Actions in Chromium for Youtube. With AdblockPlus it looks like this; (with lightswitch turned out)

http://www.anony.ws/i/2012/12/25/HX0fd.jpg

Basically the ad is blocked, then blacked out. But with Admuncher it makes it all white; (which defeats purpose of lights out)

http://www.anony.ws/i/2012/12/25/53hl.jpg

Anyone else notice browsing is greatly speeded up with this application? I am surprised. I tried 4-5 similar freeware products, and all of them slowed browsing. This is quite nice. Although I need the HTTPS aspect in ASAP.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  25. The Seeker

I suggest contacting support about this.

This should be implemented early next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.