How the heck do I exclude a folder from being scanned? (NT)

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by GrammatonCleric, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

NOFurther Text

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Code:
    Settings>Detection Overrides>Add Override>Select File or Folder

3. GrammatonCleric

Thanks since this is the program that totally interferes with the NOD32GUI along with OA GUI and EAM GUI.

Don't see that option, even when I click Advanced Settings I am taken to the prior version of SecureAnywhere (the non dumified slider version).

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Does that solve the other issues in 2 threads you reported recently?

5. GrammatonCleric

Well I can't find the option you specified above.

HOWEVER, when I kill SecureAnywhere I get to see ESET and it works flawlessly however I can't tell you if it allows for autostart until I am able to successfully exclude the folders from being monitored by SecureAnywhere. i.e. SecureAnywhere starts before ESET does so it blocks it...the only way to find out is to remove secureanywhere...if it gets to that point then I won't be putting it back. That's why I want to solve it first by exclusion.

Don't get me wrong it's a good program but it screws around with my 3 other layered solutions.

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

7. GrammatonCleric

Holly Hell, you mean I will have to list every single exe in the folders? I mean it's not that bad but still a big pain in the arse, especially that I have to list ESET and OA and EAM folders. Let me see, if that doesn't work then Webroot will be coming off my system (it's already off my phone...it's slowed my droid too much).

edit:
    Update NADA, NO HELPIE. ESET still dead in the water in terms of GUI or Icon next to clock. I will attach the picture of what I "excluded" (I am not testing OA or EAM yet I figure I will focus on ONE issue and if that's fixed I will apply the method to others to see if it also fixes those).
    http://i.imgur.com/Onvbs.png

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Marking them individually as "Allow" is indeed how overrides work within WSA. It's possible that there is a deeper incompatibility at play - it may be worth lowering WSA's self protection to Minimum and rebooting to see if that fixes it.

We don't have a conventional "full folder" exclusion as that opens the system up to exploitation - all a piece of malware would have to do is enter into an excluded folder and it would have free reign on the system, so we have it on a per-file basis (and not filename either; it's based on file hash).

Edit as I just noticed your edited reply: It might be worth contacting our support team and having them run their logs/information collecting tool so that they can have a more granular view of what might be wrong here. Let me know if you have any questions!

9. GrammatonCleric

Just submitted a ticket.

10. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Thanks, and I received your PM. I'll keep an eye on it :)

11. GrammatonCleric

I removed the Webroot but it seems to still have issues. I honestly think it's too many low level hooks attempting to compete for resources and whoever gains the low lvl access first wins.
    But I don't know yet. Just removed Webroot and attempting a re-install.

12. GrammatonCleric

Ok problem solved.
    I finally figured it out.
    AS FOR MY CASE, AND MAYBE MY CASE ONLY:
    It appears that Windows 8 have decreased the number of low level hooks that can be had by a security software. So when EAM and WebRoot and Malwarebytes and NOd32 attempted a low level hook, one of them had to be kicked out and which one depended on the order they started.
    So in the end I solved the problem by just removing the ESET NOD32 HIPS module...I know that by doing so this removes the self defense of NOD32 which sucks but it's the only way that this made the GUI of NOD32 work. If ESET folks have any other ideas I be more thank happy to entertain them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.