Installed Mint, dual boot, but now can't boot into Acronis CD

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by act8192, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Please see Edit: below since I can't delete this post.

Few days ago I installed Linux Mint v13, Mate desktop version. Wonderful thing, but it destroyed being able to boot into my Acronis boot CD.
    I dual boot Windows XP-pro. Grub is used to dual boot, and while the installation was a joy, it's a sad affair Acronis CD won't work. Works fine from Windows, but I need to be able to boot from that CD.

It's a circular problem: I have to validate, using the Acronis CD, an image I just made of the windows system drive (MBR included), because if I mess up that grub thing, it'll kill the computer.
    So I have to make sure I really have a good image of C partition.

I can't find any place to even look how to edit grub's boot options, and if I found it, I don't know how to do it safely anyway.

(1) I need to increase the initial boot delay so I can read the boot options before selecting Windows or Linux.
    (2) I need to somehow tell grub to allow my Acronis CD to boot in addition to Min and Windows and some other things (I can't read that fast).

If that is not possible, then I need instructions how to remove Mint and the grub dual boot thing.

Can somebody, please, help me?

-------------

Edit:User error - it turns out BIOS boot sequence didn't have CD first, so F2 went into BIOS, I changed it, Acronis CD loaded recovery.
    I still could use help with item (1).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Edit the grub file in /etc/default as follows:-

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 (Make sure you have the #; removing it will hide the grub menu)

GRUB_TIMEOUT="10" (Number of seconds for grub to display the menu before booting the default entry)

After editing the grub file in /etc/default run sudo update-grub

Hope that will help.

You can use gedit to edit the grub file. sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

3. act8192

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Sorry can't view the images. I have never ever been able to view images on imageshack no matter what browsers I use. I have no idea why this is. All I see is a frog in an icecube.
    Maybe it is regularly down ?
    Try http://www.imagebam.com/
    You say it's working, but I fail to understand your reference to 3600 sec. That's a whole damn hour ??

5. act8192

Here you go, a replacement for the frog:

grubedit1.png

grubedit2.png

grubedit3.png

This is really only for sanity check whether what I saw is expected or not, since grub and Acronis CD are behaving nicely with your change.

3600 was just a test 1 hour setting, I use 10 minutes at this point :)

This Mint I have is goldious. Much to learn and much to admire. Just scratching the surface, one of the things that makes me happy is that I can do standby, from the menu or timeout, and both methods work flawlessly. The system shuts down internet, comes back, reenables internet, no crashes, no black screens, no issues. I once tried another Linux system and was told someplace Linux is incompatible with my laptop, so I had to give it up!

Thanks again for your help :)

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I don't use Mint, but I see pluma is the default text editor for Mate. Can't really comment on those errors. The update-grub was perfect.
    If Mint has the nautilus-gksu package install that to easily open files/folders as administrator from the r/click context menu. If not avilable as a package from the repos., install nautilus-actions in order to configure adding the command to your r/click menu. Edit: I see that Mate uses Caja FM not Nautilus, but I think one has the 'open as administrator' entry in the r/click menu.

nautilus-gksu.png

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.