Comodo Internet Security 6.xx Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mops21, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

2. pintas

pintas Registered Member

Re: *Comodo Internet Security 6.xx Thread

There are still some features missing and some bugs. There are users who can't install/run it, which is not my case.

The program is very very good and appart from some UI bugs, i have experienced no crashes or any sort of more serious problems.

The only feature i'm really missing so far is the Network Connections View, although you can use Killswitch (very cool addon) to monitor network connections but not kill them.

Regarding the sandbox you can use the following registry tweak to enable full virtualization. Although i love Sandboxie (but never use it) i guess it's fair to say we won't need it anymore. But we do need a 'sandboxed programs' option in CIS.

Full Virtualization Registry Tweak (taken from Comodo Forums):

"How can I enable automatic virtualization? I dont see such an option.
    You need to create a special registry value in order to see it. This feature is intended for advanced users only.
    i. Open Windows registry editor, regedit.exe, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\software\Comodo\Firewall Pro
    ii. Create a DWORD value and name it "EnableDefaultVirtualization"
    ii. Set this value to 1

After following these steps, Advanced Settings Editor will let you choose "Fully Virtulized" as an auto-sandboxing option."

I hope you guys enjoy this release as much as i :)

3. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

First off good luck to Comodo with this update of their software. A lot of effort seems to have gone into it with customer concerns obviously taken into consideration.

However a number of posts here and elsewhere have indicated it not only spells the death of malware but Sandboxie as well.

Firstly malware. As someone quite rightly has in their sig here the most dangerous part of the computer is the bit holding the mouse. All the virtualisation in the world won't prevent the determined installing that 'free' hack or codec to watch nudie videos of their favourite stars. No AV detects everything and HIPS is only as good as the user. Given that I think malware might just survive.

Secondly Sandboxie. CIS6 might 'fully virtualize' applications but Sandboxie it ain't. The beauty of Sandboxie is its configurability, the ability to restrict or open the sandbox in an extremely granular way on an application by application basis and the myriad of compatibility templates to work with other software. CIS6 has none of this and likely won't because its designed to do a single task. I'm sure it will do that well but in reality it is not a replacement for Sandboxie, rather its just a (nother) security application offering to virtualize applications.

Anyway, CIS6 is free and can be a step forward for Comodo but let's leave the hyperbole to Melih and the sales guys.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Why do you need to tweak registry for full virtualisation.is there no way to do this within the program?..o_O

5. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

They are afraid novice users will accidentally play with it.

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Will this change with the final release do you know?
    Someway to toggle the virtualisation within the program.:doubt:

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What is this? A call to reason? :cautious: :) Anyway, since I'm running the v5 Comodo Firewall I'll keep an eye on this. Do they intend to make the v6 firewall available separate from the rest of the suite?

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

After initial enthusiasm i hate the new interface. It's idiotic, designed with some tablets in mind, main interface window is pointless and just full of useless clutter and elements.

CIS 5.x was so much better and you could at least reach useful info on it. here you need to go several layers deep into the settings to find the most trivial info or controls. If they'd only just redesign CIS 5.x interface and stuff it with new goodies it would be awesome. But now, i have doubts about it. Serious ones...

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Screenies?

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I didn't like the new GUI from the first time I saw it. Seemed more gimmicky, than actually built for function. Now that I have actually used the program, I still don't like it. I found everything more accessible in the last GUI.

I do like v6 overall though.

11. pintas

pintas Registered Member

Try this:

Download| (32-bit)

Download| (64-bit)

I haven't tried installing with these installers, but i ran it after installing CIS with the normal installer and this gives you the option to install AV and FW separately. :)

Screenie:

e7a6eb1c72b0790612de.jpg

12. DX2

DX2 Guest

I don't get why people are so hung up on looks. The only thing that should matter if it works good or not....

13. KelvinW4

No, this will probably not be changed in the final release.
    Check the settings.

They are not going to change the interface, just telling you guys. Maybe just various improvements but not much will be made to it. I mean I'm pretty sure you guys don't look at it 24/7 :rolleyes:

14. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Why the hate for the GUI? It's modern, simple, easy to tell what button does what.

15. KelvinW4

Finally my browsing in full virtualization... like sandboxie!

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nice with a green border for browser

17. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

testing it right now

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have the firewall in custom ruleset:thumb:

19. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Firewall Beta. Working great with sandboxie and EAM.

20. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

Version 6 FAILS the Comodo Leak Test. :(

21. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

If I remember correct, if you disable the comodo sandbox then it passes the leak test.

22. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I don't want to turn this into a vs b, but how is its usability compared to Sandboxie?

Such as how easy is it to isolate the browser, and how easy is it to recover files from the sandbox? I never liked Sandboxie from a usability standpoint.

23. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

OA has RunSafer and ZA has offered Forcefield. Every company allows you to run your browser in a secure mode - like for example - online banking. Comodo is no different here.

24. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It certainly looks promising for people looking for an all-in-one solution. This is beneficial to prevent conflicts, especially in regards to an AV conflicting with a FW, etc...

But on the other hand there's the "don't put all your eggs in one basket" approach. And the fact that Sandboxie is so time tested & proven. It would take a lot to move me away from it.

I will install the full version of 6 and give it the opportunity. If I find it's too heavy, or that I don't care for it, I'll want to use just the FW & D+ along with SBIE once again. And I hope there's a granular install to allow me to do that.

Better yet, I wish there were "slim" versions offered. Because even if you uncheck components during install, you still end up with a lot of the bloat/drivers anyway, so that if you ever want to enable the features again you can. A slim version (FW/D+ only) for v.6 would be awesome. It would keep more people using their product that don't want the whole kitten kaboodle, want to keep their SBIE, and want their Comodo as light as possible.

Otherwise I'll probably just keep using v. 5.10 for awhile longer if I don't care for the entire suite.

25. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Will try it.GUI looks fresh and good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.