Avira 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by darts, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

doh... reinstalled windows clean. 7 x64. updated it fully. installed office 2010. updated fully. installed avira 2013 chose custom no toolbar installed because i do not want it. selected everything but games at additional items. otherwise everything left at default.

tested on 2 different laptops. set sleep to 10 mins so i didnt have to wait forever to try it. screen goes out to black and starts to go to sleep then stops. nothing.

keyboard still responsive though you can press caps lock and num lock etc but no screen will come on. only thing to do is power it off.

windows will come on and of course say it was not shut down properly etc.

can reproduce many times. same result BOTH laptops totally different specs.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Z, just an idea, but has Stefan, of has he suggested that maybe someone from support might want to remote in to see it.

Avira, this would really be something i would think you would want to do.

4. zfactor

cant really remote in because as soon as the screen goes out thats it system needs to be restarted nothing can be done to bring it back. so there will really be nothing to see once it starts to happen

5. Amin

Amin Registered Member

Zfactor.. why don't you try a x86 OS...?

6. zfactor

because i dont want to run x86...o_O i will not go back on my machines...they are MORE than capable of running x64 and so without any other issues with any other av up till now.

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Well said :thumb:

8. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

This is 2012 and the latest release is (officially) 2013.
    I remember my use of Avira 2009 but that won't help me or others.

9. m0unds

m0unds Guest

does event viewer indicate a driver preventing the device(s) from entering their normal sleep state or anything else? does windows provide any post-shutdown telemetry? (e.g. windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown, etc)

10. zfactor

since i posted over at the avira forum and have had zero help at all except someone telling me to redownload and reinstall which DOES NOT help this will be a long post and i really hope i will hear from stefan or the other person he had contact me. lots of things in event viewer stating avira in them and also yes i have the dump from after it happened. when checking the problem it only happens AFTER installing avira. i have the log file for avira but i need somewhere to send it to and have not heard back from stefan or the other person yet. the two repeated event viewer items are:

DETAIL -
    1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-2751836321-822307673-2522683321-1000:
    Process 2020 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2751836321-822307673-2522683321-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

and

Application 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe' (pid 2580) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..

and i see this which im not sure yet is releated but it only happens after avira is installed.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa80024d3e30, 0xfffff80003c3c518, 0xfffffa800261be10). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 101512-16738-01.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT BSOD INFO:

101512-16738-01.dmp 10/15/2012 7:46:25 PM DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 0x0000009f 00000000`00000003 fffffa80`024d3e30 fffff800`03c3c518 fffffa80`0261be10 ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+7efc0 NT Kernel & System Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 6.1.7601.17944 (win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333) x64 ntoskrnl.exe+7efc0 C:\Windows\Minidump\101512-16738-01.dmp 2 15 7601 1,011,048

again this only happens AFTER avira gets installed, im thinking its coming from a filter driver from avira read below for more info.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT AGAIN: i just went very slowly with a fresh install checking the entire time after EACH update for any errors or anything out of the ordinary and nothing was. i installed win7 x64, reboot, sleep no issues made backup, updated, reboot checked sleep again no issues, made backup, installed office 2010, reboot checked sleep again no issues, made backup, reboot and know each time not a single issue in the event log except the normal wlan message that it shutdown properly. then installed avira and the first message it caused was:

Name resolution for the name teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

second event viewer message AFTER installing avira:

The IP address lease 192.168.1.x for the Network Card with network address 0x0016EA044068 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

third message:

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
    1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-3724118457-778765782-4280361920-1000:
    Process 1708 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-3724118457-778765782-4280361920-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

these messages ONLY come after installing avira is 2013 NOT before and now i also after letting it sleep on its own am seeing the normal errors as above from the event viewer again have yet to have a bsod but it did HANG on sleep it started to go to sleep and then screen went black and that was it had to be restarted to be used again. but no bsod error yet. will update as i see anything

sorry to keep adding to this but im trying to post everything i can one thing i notice is after the screen goes black PRIOR to actually trying to sleep there is a crazy amount of hard drive activity going on i can not see the screen of course but looking at the hdd light its flashing like crazy for a long time prior to it locking up and or actually sleeping (if it ever actually does), i have no idea why this is happening and its starting to get frustrating REALLY bad to the point where if i cant get it fixed ill simply have to try to get refunded for ALL my lic's this does not make sense. also note hybrid sleep is turned off and it is set to sleep not hibernate.

now when i click start and actually click sleep i dont seem to have the issue as often or if at all so far its only during the system being set to sleep on its own.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can post bsod info as well but the issue on BOTH laptops is 100% caused after installing avira prior to that it does not happen at all. i have tested it many times REPEATEDLY with the same results.

same laptops with fresh install and ess v5 and v6 both tested as well as avast is 7, and bullguard all work fine without any sleep issues at all. something has to be going on with avira

i even went asfar as clearing the event viewer totally of ALL ERRORS i fixed every one that was pre existing from a fresh install all of which ms says does not matter anyway like a event 10 etc made sure that over and over again the only thing showing was the wlan would shut down and start up. other than that NOTHING in even viewer UNTIL i install avira then i start getting the event viewer errors and sleep issues.

first laptop is a lenovo core 2 duo, 4gb ddr2, 750gb wd black, intel gpu, intel atheros wifi card, atheros bluetooth, micron sd card reader, enc ir reader, realtek audio.

second laptop is a custom built msi (same as gx series just a whitebook that i buy and build), intel i5, nvidia 600 series, 8gb ddr3, intel 5300 wifi, realtek audio.

so the only two common things are the intel chipset drivers (though they are DIFFERENT CHIPSETS) as well as the realtek audio drivers. ALL drivers are the most current ones available from all manufactures even the jmicron and cir drivers. this is baffling me i do this every day and i have pretty much exhausted everything except literally complete hardware changes.

ran memtest on both laptops each for more than 12hours. both passed, ran chkdsk /f /r on both systems both tested fine. swapped wifi cards between the 2 no change, swapped hard drives out to test with different ones same results, swapped ram out fully put 4gb totally different ram in the lenovo, 8gb in the msi again tested fine. and without avira everything works perfectly for now i am running essv6 on the lenovo because i cant have this issue happening as thats my carry around laptop i have to use daily.

will post bsod results in just a bit but BOTH laptops are resulting in the SAME errors and showing the same files at fault after recovery in the dmp file. as well as the same 9f code and everything. no way this would happen with how different both of these laptops are hardware wise with ONLY a win 7 x64 install and all the different hardware to be showing the EXACT same registry error in event viewer as well as the same fault codes etc in the dmp files. both show the error result from the exact same thing....o_Oo_Oo_O?? this sucks.

i want to run avira on these and im doing everything to diagnose this as i can but have had no return contact from stefan or the other person yet in the last couple days.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  11. zfactor

http://forum.antivir-pe.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1139642

one of the same issues i have from back in 2011 STILL not fixedo_O after doing some googling im not the only one that has had this issue its even on the avira forums in the past same issue i have and they also got no where with it.

i thought i had it fixed see below. but this only works till the systems are restarted once restarted same issue again without the 2 items checked. back to square one. this is 100% ridiculous.
    it works fine after the first sleep. in other words if i let it start to sleep and i see the hard drive activity (which is A LOT it just sits there and thrashes about for a good 2-3+ minutes before crashing) and i stop the sleep process by moving the touchpad the hard drive thrashing about stops after a min and then every sleep after that is working fine. same situation on both different laptops. sleep will work fine after this until i restart then same thing all over again. this is ridiculous. also note i had this issue with 2012 before i updated i had hoped the 2013 would have fixed it but it didnt.

i can repeat the issue over and over again now. basically it will start to go to sleep TONS AND TONS of hard drive activity an thrashing about then bsod or frozen since it doesnt always get that far to actually bsod out.

upon restart same thing exactly. if i prior to the issue prevented the sleep like the screen starts to go out and i hit a key to stop sleep it will be fine until it gets restarted. and now each time this happens i see a event about the indexing cannot or did not complete and has to be reindexed. this is consistent.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

13. zfactor

already did that did not work. all my drivers are the absolute newest available.

this happens on two different laptops with the same bsod error with different hardware.

14. zfactor

well guess im giving up on avira, have yet to receive any return email no response from stefan or phr3n1c. and while they responded a couple times the forum is useless so far.

i will also add i tried to install this on yet a THIRD laptop today same deal formatted the drive, installed win 7 x64 installed ALL UPDATES through windows, installed office 2010 then installed ALL updates available for it. everything perfect. installed avira same issue, same bsod, same event messages etc. this is 1000% a issue with avira from somewhere. i do not know if it could be a update or one of the avira drivers or what but it has to be something and these 3 systems do not have anything really in common other than being intel and having win7 x64 installed and the settings used for windows 7 so unless its one of those im at a total loss. i guess ill have to request a refund or dispute my credit card for these lic's i dont know what else to do and it sucks because i really love the program and had enough faith to buy all these lic's in the first place.

the only things the three systems have in common besides the intel based motherboard chipsets and realtek audio (which is the most common audio used imo on laptops right now) are the following:

UAC TURNED OFF, windows firewall turned off, windows defender turned off, system restore turned off, the setting allow remote control of this computer turned off, and i also have the power settings to NOT require a password when coming back from sleep on battery or ac plug and the action center is set to only notify of the anti virus and firewall. other than that everything is set to default settings.

i work on pc's every day and i have tried everything i can think of and nothing is working

edit: reinstalling win 7 x64 yet again this time not updating anything. not changing any settings not adding any driver just install and whatever it is is whats installed going to install avira and then *if* it works okay with sleep ill start to disable each thing one at a time and see where it stops then install each update one at a time and see where it doesnt work etc... im so frustrated right now this is my last resort and last time ill give it a chance.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  15. zfactor

question is anyone using avira WITHOUT UAC turned on?? i am almost positive at this point this is where the issue is coming from. system works perfect with uac turned on but i personally run my own systems with it turned off. i will post steps i took to verify this after i do some more testing to make sure what i am seeing is correct...

16. m0unds

m0unds Guest

nope, i don't disable UAC on any machine i use. i do however have avira left on one machine. i could temporarily disable uac and see whether i end up with a bsod when it goes to sleep if you'd like.

17. The Hammer

I'm running X64 also, what version do you have?

18. zfactor

x64. problem comes back as soon as i turn off user account control..... installed a FRESH copy of win 7 x64 DID NOT update it DID NOT install any drivers just left it as it was from right after the install.

first turned off allow remote connection to this pc

worked fine.

turned off system restore

worked fine

turned off windows firewall

worked fine

turned off windows defender

worked fine

turned off user account control

sleep issue returns.

reinstalled fresh win 7 x64 again no drivers added no updates nothing except what it installs. this time turned off user account control FIRST. rebooted sleep issue comes back. just to test restarted again bosd this time. restarted again started to go to sleep and same issue black screen frozen. can repeat this have done so 12 times on the same pc.

system goes to black screen starts to sleep see hard drive activity freezes. hold power button to shut down. restart let it start to sleep same thing. again and again.

problem is being caused by having user account control turned OFF i do not want to use user account control so how do i run avira WITHOUT user account control turned on. please reply as i can repeat this test now over and over.

19. zfactor

yes if you can please try to set the sleep time to like 5minutes with uac disabled.

after disabling it please shutdown and then restart the system and do not do anything once it starts just see if it sleeps. because if i prevent it from going to sleep once it starts the first time it will sleep fine. not sure why. see what happens. mine will go black then lots of hard drive activity for a minute or so then the hard drive activity will stop and it just sits there either on the black screen or i get a bsod. it varies which will happen but one or the other

20. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

If it does turn out to be UAC you could try UAC in quiet mode. This will leave UAC on but it will supress the prompts. Maybe your answer. TweakUAC -http://www.winability.com/tweak-uac/-

21. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

has avira free 2013 been released or is it still in RTC/Beta ?
    because i got an update today from avira to upgrade to ver2013

22. zfactor

its been released for a bit now officially

23. zfactor

the 100% fix for the sleep issue is to turn off dep. but that is not safe to keep turned off imo. but with dep fully disabled everything works perfectly still no response at all from anyone at avira total crap if you ask me.

24. The Hammer

You posted your fix there?

25. zfactor

yes i did but no responses either there or via email. i guess they simply dont care?? there is someone else who posted in my thread there who said they have the same exact problem so i know its at least not just me. back to eset for me i guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.