What's A Good Light Antivirus & Firewall For Older Laptops On A WIFI Connection!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by highbids, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highbids

highbids Registered Member

I've got a older laptop a Hewlette Packard Pavillion DV1000 with a 1.5 Mhz CPU & 1.2 of Ram.

What would be a good & light anti virus & firewall to use for this laptop that won't slow my
    wifi connection download to a snails pace.

2. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

More detail please. Such as your OS. How much experience do you have? There are a million options. Are you look for free or paid? For a free av you can use Avast,AVG,Panda Cloud. For a firewall you can use Online Armor,Comodo,Private Firewall.

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I have had excellent results using Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials on netbooks and other low-powered systems. Just my $.02 worth...:)

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

If its windows XP use the windows firewall and you can try Kingsoft Antivirus free its very light.

5. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

If you are willing to pay and want a suite Avast Internet Security is a good option.

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Sandboxie and WOT, MBAM on demand.
    If the idea is lightness forget about FWs and AVs, you don't really need them.

7. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

The most light weight AV that I ran was Kingsoft AV. It's a could solution, I still have it installed on my Pentium III windows XP.

8. DX2

DX2 Guest

Comodo FW with D+ is one of the lightest...

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Roboscan Internet Security free :thumb:

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

hmm how does that perform as a free suite?
    Is it any good.?:ninja: :ninja:

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

roboscan is actually very good for a free suite. many will say eset or avast. to be honest here i find as light as both are i dont think they work as well on older / low ram systems. a relative of mine had a old xp system with only 512mb ram and had avast free and asked me why the browsing was so slow. i did a remote session and checked it out, besides being old i fixed a few things and browsing did get faster, we then just for a test removed avast for him to see the difference and it was night and day on that system. i actually installed roboscan for him and he has told me the system is much more responsive now though a bit slower to start up initially. im not knocking avast i use it but i find it shows far more system impact on older systems than you see on newer ones with additional ram and cpu power.

and as someone said webroot is probably the lightest thing you could run on there but not free.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  12. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I highly recommend avast! Free Antivirus it's free, very good detection rates, good on the resources, and has an auto sandbox feature that kicks in as soon as you run a suspicious file isolating the file from the OS so it can't do any harm! avast! free Antivirus even rivals the paid ones!

Eset's virus detection rate is very poor according to the latest virus test results I've seen I lost all faith in them and their products even though I own a 3 year / 3 user license, I stopped using them and bought myself a Kaspersky Internet Security License

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.