Windows 8 will be available on…

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Moosehead77

Moosehead77 Registered Member

Windows 8...OCT 26th

Get it get it....

Windows 8 available October 26th for $40 bucks...holy moly........

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Re: Windows 8...OCT 26th

the upgrade price is very fair, i think.

i paid almost twice that for going from XP to 7, which was also a pre-release rebate.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I hope the reaction from the general public is negative. *Crosses Fingers*
    I'm talking about the GUI. :D

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Re: Windows 8...OCT 26th

I think they realized that it's going to be a hard to sell OS so it had at least better be cheap.

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I stiill think its ugly and will not downgrade from windows 7 to 8 .:p

7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I want my Start Menu back and no Metro.

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I think I will get Win8 at some point, but whilst all of my current software does not offer any advantages to being in Windows 8 I am not going to change my OS yet.

9. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

Power8 works pretty well I use it on my win8 RP
    http://www.addictivetips.com/window...-for-windows-8-that-can-block-metro-features/

But yes, metro apps are not productive and user wil be lost inside 8 :D
    metro Apps for ex start maximized, no way to see tray icon or demaximize/close the window, so if you have some other program un background you can only switch pushing on the right up coner and I dont found a way to close de metro app, I can olny close it via taskmanager :D :thumbd:
    Yes Win8 GUI is a nightmare

10. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

Me too.
    /Don

11. Lou Knee

Lou Knee Registered Member

Even if it was free the Real Cost they tend to gloss over is far too high.

You have to give up a valid key for a useful OS, and you can never go back.

BWAA HAA HAA

12. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you so much for all the posts (opinions/observations) in this thread. I just purchased W7 at the end of May for a PC I built but for $40 I would consider W8. Not so much now! Let us assume all (tray, desktop icons, etc.) of its GUI was Windows normal, which is not the case at this point, would there be any advantage to it? I built this system with a SSD and along with the Ivy Bridge 3570K processor it is blazing fast, so I am assuming there'd be very little if any improvements. More comments would be appreciated!

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Don't buy into the negative hype until you have tried it yourself. There was nothing wrong with Vista, there was nothing wrong with ME, and in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with 8. You don't have to like it, but make up your own mind. I look forward to the release, and will be upgrading when it comes out.

14. moontan

Metro Apps are for tablet users.
    if you are not using a tablet leave them alone. ;)

Alt + F4, or drag from the top of the screen all the way to the bottom to close.

15. moontan

quite right.

i took me 3 tries to get comfortable with Metro.
    there's nothing wrong with it once you get used to it.

people are resistant to change because it's human nature.

16. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Windows 8: everything you need to know. I will not be a W8 user with the Metro UI and the lack of a start button. For those that plan on kicking the tires, you would be best served doing it in a VM

This isn't to say this isn't the next best thing since sliced bread.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I will not be buying 8, I am much too comfortable with 7, and as long as this laptop lasts, I'll stick with what I've got. I just do not agree with the direction MS is taking with 8. If my current machine dies in a year, and all I can get is a new laptop with 8, then I will probably give it all up, and just buy an Android tablet. And lest anyone think or say I'm hating MS, that's not the case at all. All these years I have been an MS supporter. But I think they're going down the wrong road now, and I choose not to follow....

18. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

If that's really the case, then why is Metro on the desktop OS? Are we really supposed to just use Metro as a "start screen" to launch desktop apps?

Maybe I could accept that this is the beginning of a transition, and it will be a little awkward in the meantime as we wait for applications to get "Metrofitted." But if this dual-interface thing is going to continue, it just makes it seem like a mess of a UI.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. moontan

yes, that's what it is, basically.

tablet and smartphone users can play with the Metro apps all they want.
    me, i uninstalled all of them cause i did not see a need for them on a desktop machine.

anyway,
    the old Start Menu has been divided in 2 hotspots:

one in the lower left corner which is Metro Start, and one in the lower right, where you can shutdown the machine and other functions.

21. SirDrexl

So then, what is the point of all this? I'm trying to be open-minded about it; I really am. I just don't see how this is better for the desktop PC. I thought this "single platform" (no matter how well it actually fits each kind of device) was the idea, but how are we even getting that if Metro apps aren't intended to be used on a desktop PC?

Is this all a scheme to bring attention to their phones and tablets?

22. moontan

pretty much.

but it's not only a scheme per se, having some kind of unified interface for tablets, smart phones and desktops/laptops will make it easier to work with different devices using Win 8.

that's the theory anyway. ;)

23. SirDrexl

Yeah, I just don't see how it's actually a unified interface if we're not using Metro apps on the desktop. It's like putting the wallpaper and icons from your phone on your desktop and calling that a unified interface.

But, I think this is just temporary and we'll see Metro apps made for the desktop in time.

24. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'm back on Windows 7. I may move back to 8 when it's released but as I spend almost all of my time on Linux it's not really worth it. I don't really love Metro. I don't think anyone can argue I didn't give it a fair chance - I used it since day 1 of the public releases.

I think at first it felt new and cool and I overlooked little things that bugged me. Then the CP released and I liked more things. And then the RP released and I've realized that the things that bug me kinda really bug me.

I honestly just don't like having a big screen just show up instead of a small menu. I don't like having to change my entire perspective. I'm one of those uesrs who has 5 windows open and I like to see them all at once. Metro doesn't allow that. Desktop mode works fine but then what's really the improvement?

It's like they've taken something great, added some other stuff, and I just never use the other stuff so I still think it's great overall.

I don't care about my Windows systems security. EMET takes care of exploits (and I've got DEP Always On, SEHOP Always On, ASLR Always On so it's quite strong) and it's only for games so social engineering isn't really a factor (I don't even use it to browser, and I'd only use Chrome anyways).

So it's 7 for me and maybe a few months after 8 is released I'll consider switching.

25. moontan

Metro Apps are for Metro.
    i don't think there are such things as "Metro apps made for desktop".

in the meanwhile, nothing keeps you from using the Metro Apps if you want to.
    i find no use for them on a desktop machine but your mileage may vary. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.