NOD32 - The New Generation, part 2

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Paul Wilders, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

this is the follow up from the original NOD32 The New Generation thread. Please post in the usual way - Forum Admin

2. Paul Wilders

Last post by controler in the former thread:

follow ups in this thread - Forum Admin

3. Paul Wilders

Controler,

Eset is the one revealing the new in's and out's - seems the common way to go! ;)

regards.

paul

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I Must admit I haven't yet read anything about this new generation,what new features will/might be introduced?

5. Paul Wilders

Tinribs,

As said:

;)

regards.

paul

6. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I have long been an admirer of Esets av,but on visiting their site recently all I seem to see is news snippets extoling their (well deserved) results in the vb100 awards.
    I hope they dont lose sight of what made them them (in my view) the best; great detection rate,small size,low memory footprint.
    Lets hope they keep sight of the things that matter. :)

7. controler

controler Guest

Well said Tinribs ;)

8. zappa

zappa Registered Member

I don't know anything about Esset as a company but if NOD is their only or bread and butter program the next gen should be great. I hope they continue to get the nasties in the wild first, as it appears they do now, which I get in my updates which protects my PC.

An AV company could have the best program bar none being head and shoulders better then the rest but without getting nasties, breaking them down and providing timely updates it don't matter much. I wonder if they have people who actually spend the their day looking for nasties through hook or by crook. Nice job description, Go find nasties in the wild before other the AV companies first.

9. controler

controler Guest

The last three samples I sent to Symantec WERE in fact worms
    They were not detecting.
    Symantecs system is all automated now. A real person doesn't even look at the samples anymore. Go figures huh?
    What a mistake. Anyway they wrote back saying files didn't contain anything suspicious LOL
    Moral of story. I stopped sending them in...

And I used to Beta for their antivirus...

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I surf a lot of forums and I noticed that a lot of ppl post with probs regarding Norton and before that it was McAfee.I have NOD32. I don't get to all the sites I'm sure,but I never see anyone posting about NOD32 probs.No compatability troubles,no system crashes related to NOD.At least not that I have seen yet.That says a lot to me.Regarding the next generation of NOD,I am looking forward to checking that out when it's made public.Got me curious now! ;)

11. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I'm running Nod32 as well, but bear in mind that there are probably tens of millions of people running Norton Antivirus, while NOd32 is only used by a comparative (albeit well informed... :D ) few.

That's the main reason.

12. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

NOD32 caused the only Blue Screen in Windows 2000 Professional in the two years I've been using it.

On my system NOD32's Amon conflicted with Boclean and my bookmark manager causing sound crackles on my soundcard. After disabling Amon the problem was solved and never occurred with any of the other AV's I evaluated.

Pop3scan would crash repeatedly and I could reproduce this and send them many examples of email messages that would crash pop3scan, but they never replied to my latest inquiry about the status of this problem.

I'm not saying NOD32 is a bad product, but I certainly was not very lucky using it. I'm now using DrWeb and the brand new Spider Mail without any problems ;) Without DrWeb I would have probably continued to use NOD32.

13. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I believe you.

However, I can only say that I've been running Nod32 and BOClean in tandem, and have had no conflicts between the two (on Win 98 SE)

I am aware of conflicts between Amon and both JV 16 Power Tools and Moosoft's The Cleaner, but they're less of a problem, as Amon can be temporarily disabled while using those.

14. root

root Registered Member

My subscription to NOD32 is running out next month and I am letting it expire.
    There are too many little things that go wrong with it, and I will not come running to Paul everytime I need some help from NOD32 customer service. It seems thats the only way most people can get it.
    It's a shame because it is a powerful AV, but if the product is not supported quickly and equally, it is not part of my arsenal.
    I too switched to DrWeb and so far have not needed customer service. If I do and don't get it I will probably go back to KAV.

15. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Sorry to hear of problems with NOD32.I have xp home edition.I haven't had to use support other than to purchase the program.Tony,I see your point.With a lot more users, a program like NAV will likely have more complaints.I know a lot of people that use NAV locally.I did get positive feedback from them.I found NOD32 to be cheaper.And I admit I am somewhat of a "cheapskate" when it comes to buying a program. I will remember to disable Amon when i use jv16 Power Tools.

16. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Each person's sys is different. No problen here running these 2 together or any other proggie for that matter with Nod.

17. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

I had problems to start power tools with amon on and nav on the win98se system - it still starts slower that other proggies with amon on, but now i don't have to disable amon to be able to use power tools - my guess is it has to do with the exe packer that the guy from power tools is using. If packed witn uxp nod has some troubel aspack works just fine

Ruben

Wanna see the new nod !!!!! :'(

18. Paul Wilders

Hi Ruben,

Nice seeing you around ;)

By design, NOD32 will not give way to other apps; that's what you you do encounter. A calculated guess: the upcoming new version will not be different in that regard.

regards,

paul

19. tosbsas

I understand what you are saying - but I really believe its the packer issue - upx and aspack that makes it slowwww

Maybe they can fix that. Same issue sometimes with NOd and Boclean - both claiming the other is doing wrong :)--((

Ruben

20. Paul Wilders

Ruben,

Before going technical: tried PELite, Digital Spawn etc. in combination with NOD32?

regards.

paul

21. tosbsas

I know what you mean :)--)) but thats way out of my league - just know that there is a problem with upx packed exes cause I had soem trouble with one of them

Ruben

22. Paul Wilders

OK, Ruben ;)

regards.

paul

23. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

mawhaaaaaaa i can beat all your avs mawhaaaaaaaaa just unplug the phone line or cable after a clean install and never sighn back on algain lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.