MSE 4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stratoc, Apr 24, 2012.

1. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

I asked them : "I think it s better to have a survey about it and I think lots of people will come complaining about the problem ":

better answer was there by ROB KOCH:

Yeah sure, a survey will let every clueless person out there moan about the problem and as with all surveys do nothing else, because surveys are just another form of likes, or voting, which resolve nothing.

The "problem" here is the storing of many executable installers in a single folder, since this isn't a normal situation for a typical PC and only occurs when people "collect" software, which is a small subset of the population. However, since these people tend to frequent the same few forums and "techie" sites, they have the distorted belief that everyone else is like them, since everyone they hang around with is.

Actually this population is a minority of maybe 10 to 15% if that many, but then most of the regular PC user population doesn't frequent forums of any sort, only Facebook, Amazon or similar social and selling sites and they don't collect software, they install and use it.

So now to the key question, why does this delay occur? Quite simply because when a folder is accessed MSE performs an initial quick inventory of the files in the folder and then it targets executables of any sort to perform a pre-execution emulation test on these files. This way once a file is actually clicked by the user it has already been tested and doesn't cause a delay at that moment. Unfortunately, when a pathologically large number of executable files exist in a folder, this results in exactly the opposite problem of a delay when opening it.

So though this could potentially be resolved by removing this ability, it's not likely to occur since a far greater number of people are aided by this pre-scan than are affected negatively without it, most likely including those with the problem since they also avoid the delays when using normal application folders. Only when these storage folders are accessed do the significant delays occur.

Rob

I dont think gathering setup files in one folder is abnormal.....when you have a laptop you will categorise your files ...... pictures,movies,ducuments etc....you will put the same files in one folder in order to access them whenever you want....gathering setup files is no exception....you may buy new laptop or you may reinstal your windows and you should have the setup to install them immediately...

and then STEVE(the moderator) sent a second reply:

I am aware that many report the issue and have done so for quite some time.

Setup files are an interesting file type -- they contain instructions that may point to other locations, but usually they point to the nested compressed files within the package. I can't tell you that it is the most efficient method, but the Microsoft Antimalware scan will follow the paths and loads the file(s) into memory to scan them.

The other twist that people have reported is a delay introduced by MSE when opening a folder containing shortcuts to exe files, often on a mapped drive or Server Share location. The scan apparently follows the shortcut to the source and again, checks each target for infection.

I have used MSE on XP, Vista, and Windows 7 and also use Defender on Windows 8 and Win/RT. I've never encountered the issue personally, but I don't typically save setup files and I don't map drives.

-steve

If anyone has some answer to the statements I ask him to participate in the MS Community.....I thinks lots of complains may make them fix the issue.thanks in advance

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-c3e7-4127-ae2f-580ca72fbad0?tm=1387795112419

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  2. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Thanks phyniks.
    Just added some comments on the thread.

3. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I didn't think it was "pathological" to keep installers on hand :doubt:

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The problem is not to keep installers on hand, but to keep many of them in the same directory, as stated above. I keep many installers, but they are distributed in several directories, according to its purpose, and I don´t experience delays when I browse the directories.

5. phyniks

thanks fblais.....you re right....the policy you recommended can be the correct answer

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Everything is pathological, :)

7. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I found out that zipping the installers into individual ZIP archives made a big improvement over letting them as EXEs.

But the problem is that MSE does pre-scans in directories.
    Scanning only when copying and executing would solve that issue.
    They could at least add an option for this behaviour.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

After 2 years of standing by MSE, I just cant. It really does stink at detection and if free is the way you want to go, then there are better products. Period.

9. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Indeed.
    Avira 2014 free doesn't have nag screens anymore and is much better.

10. phyniks

Not that good at detection.....Not among the best at performance.....Not listenning to the complaints ..... Is MS urging users to stop using MSE/WD ?!!! o_O

11. Diver

Diver Registered Member

That does not appear to be the case. I was getting daily messages to upgrade.

12. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The situation is unclear as to that. I am somewhat leery of believing AV tests anyway. They only tell how a product did on a particular set of samples. There is definitely a "teaching for the set" process going on. Microsoft's statements have been inconsistent.

IMO, no signature based AV is enough by itself.

13. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

The only way to resolve the issue is by removing it entirely? How about better efficiency? There's several other AVs that can do it without obvious delays.

He's got a point though, in that this delay probably isn't observed with much frequency by the majority of the users out there.

Oh well, it's free, take it or leave it. If you want paid then there's always the MS Live OneCare product. Oh wait, that no longer exists. The majority of the users out there must not of been interested enough to pay for it. :D

14. phyniks

Latest:

They advised my to backup setup files on usb/dvd/cd !!!!

When I told them delay on showing file icons is not the case,the major problem is MSE' s slowing down Win Explorer which causes delay on file copy/pasting as it was shown in the latest av-comparatives performance test

there answer was as expected:
    Just a note about that AV file performance table. It appears that MSE only operated at a single step lower performance of "Fast" vs. "Very Fast" in the File Copying category, while it otherwise performed at the top rating for all others. I don't see how this indicates that MSE is significantly less capable, since unless you spend all your time copying files around this shouldn't even be an important statistic.

You see....it s very simple according to microsoft:

your protection againt new malwares is not good >>>>> new malwares are not common....so it s not important

system is slow at copy/pasting >>>>> you will not spend alot on copy/pasting ....so it s not important

your product slows down the system on showing icons >>>>> it s only setup files,only 15% of people are storing setup files,store them somewhere else and the delay is gone,so that s not important

Forget about all your unimportant complaints....these are not because of our product.....It is all about you,doing what is not expected........doing something which is not the right thing in our opinion ..... Do as we expect you to do,enjoy our security services !!!!

There are definitely better free security options.Better protection,better performance.Better Custumer Care.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  15. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Phyniks..
    That is just arrogance on MS's part. I for one ditched MSE because it slowed my system down.

16. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

MSE does slow down your system, its one of the worst av in detection, no reason to use it at all, AVIRA/Avast free are way better.

17. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Imho the only good thing about MSE is that there are no ads/nags, unlike most other free AVs (with the possible exception of Baidu and Q360)!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  18. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

Microsoft Network inspection service is not running all the times by design?
    Because it only starts after mse update and dont after system restart.

19. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

No ads in Avira

20. anon

anon Registered Member

21. remco8264

remco8264 Registered Member

An update for Windows Defender for Windows 8.x will be released next Tuesday. I think this is the 4.4 update:

Update for Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows RT (KB2894853)
    Install this update to improve protection functionality in Windows Defender. See the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199/en-us

22. anon

anon Registered Member

Microsoft extends updates for Windows XP security products until July 14, 2015
    www.thenextweb.com/microsoft/2014/01/15/microsoft-extends-updates-windows-xp-security-products-july-14-2015/#!sGwlX

Microsoft antimalware support for Windows XP
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2014/01/15/microsoft-antimalware-support-for-windows-xp.aspx

Microsoft extends XP anti-malware support until July 2015
    http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsof...p-anti-malware-support-until-july-2015-234374

-----------------------------------
    Microsoft will furnish malware assassin to XP users until mid-2015

Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) to scrub infected XP PCs for more than a year after Microsoft ends patches
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...h_malware_assassin_to_XP_users_until_mid_2015

23. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Meh, if I were to continue to use an outdated OS that was no longer supported then I doubt I would want to trust the security of it to MSE. :ouch:

24. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I plan to use my XP rig past EOS. I didn't trust MSE on it while supported, no way would I have it there after support ends.

25. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Fix High CPU Usage & Perfomance of Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender

-http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/fix_high_cpu_usage_of_microsoft_security_essentials,1.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.