NOD32 update trick

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Arin, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Hello everyone. today i'm going to teach you something neat. well my PC is not connected with the Internet. i have NOD32 but couldn't update it. i asked the support guys and they told me its necessary to have Internet connection or access to ADMIN version which should be connected to Internet. i have none, but still i'm able to update my NOD32 regularly. well i admit its not magic. i just happen to have a CD burner, a CD-RW and access to a cyber cafe with a CD burner.

during updating process NOD32 first downloads a file UPDATE.VER which you can download from this link:
    http://sun.uid0.sk/~eset/nod_upd/update.ver

now this file contains the links and the details of the update files. this is actually a RAR file so when you rename it to UPDATE.RAR and unRAR it you'll get the real UPDATE.VER file. now open it with any text editor.

NOD32 update files are:

1. ADVHEUR0.NUP -----> Heuristic module used to be accompanied by
    ADVHEUR1.NUP in the past.

2. ENGINE0.NUP -----> Main signature database.

3. ENGINE1.NUP -----> Incremental signature update.

4. ENGINE2.NUP -----> Incremental signature update.

5. ARCHS0.NUP -----> Unarchiving and Unpacking support base
    module.

6. ARCHS1.NUP -----> Unarchiving and Unpacking support module.

7. ARCHS2.NUP -----> Unarchiving and Unpacking support module.

8. PWSCAN0.NUP -----> Network Worm scanner core database.

9. PWSCAN1.NUP -----> Network Worm scanner database.

10. PWSCAN2.NUP -----> Network Worm scanner database.

now all of those above mentioned files can be found on this link:
    http://sun.uid0.sk/~eset/download/engine/

by the way to download these files you'll have to provide your username and password. after you've downloaded these 10 files and UPDATE.VER burn it in a CD-RW or CD-R in the following manner:

create "nod_upd" directory in the root directory and place UPDATE.VER in it. remember both the RARed or the unRARed version will work. now create the following directories like this CD:\nod_upd\~eset\download\engine. now put those 10 downloaded files inside the "engine" directory.

burn the CD and insert it in ur drive. set your NOD32 to update from your CD drive. hit UPDATE NOW and poof!

its possible to update the evaluation version also. this link won't ask for your username and password:
    http://sun.uid0.sk/~eset/eval/engine/

but you have to do some more things. the incremental updates are not available so you have to open ENGINE0.NUP in a text editor and note down some field information like BASE, SIZE, LEVEL, DATE etc. now open UPDATE.VER in text editor and delete the entries for ENGINE1.NUP and ENGINE2.NUP. change the ENGINE0.NUP fields in UPDATE.VER according to the original ENGINE0.NUP. burn the CD and you are ready again.

the download link for UPDATE.VER is important as the other links have different FLAVOURES of UPDATE.VER. they will force your NOD32 to look for the update files on Internet even if you have them on your CD.

Happy Updating.

2. thenobodies

thenobodies Guest

hi, i`ve read your trick that`s good but after i tried for evaluation link but it doesn`t work(forbidden...,etc),and how to make user name and password for NOD32, because i`ve prompted for username and password.Thanks i need your reply please send to my e-mail : removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2004
  3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This is NOT a warez forum or site, once your trial is finished you can no longer update Nod32, you can not "make" a username or password, nor can you generate one.

Your only option is to purchase a full version.

Cheers :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2004
  4. Arin

Arin Registered Member

ah guys, that was for those who are having trouble updating it from NOD32 program. if you want username and password go buy the program.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Nod updates just fine for me. Hands free.

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

yes but i didn't have any Internet connection so had to dig out a way to update it. if you have Net connection then using the update module is the best bet. that post was meant for some poor souls who were looking for another way to update it by a floppy or a CD.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

NOD32 doesn't have standalone updates like avast! or Norton have?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What do you mean by standalone?

9. Arin

Arin Registered Member

standalone update means a file which on execution will update your AV software. no NOD32 doesn't have it, infact all AV products which requires authentication for updates doesn't have standalone updates. but NOD32 update also provides upgrading of components whilest the NAV standalone update updates only the engine and the database.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

NOD pushes out updates as available, engine or otherwise. Hands free.
    You setup NOD to ask or automatically update as required. No muss, no fuss.
    Or you can manually update if you prefer.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

yes but what if i don't have a connection to the Internet? the post was meant for those who still wants to use NOD32. all those automatic mumbo-jumbo will mean nothing if i don't have a connection. still i can purchase and maintain NOD32 in my system.

12. Mack Jones

Mack Jones Registered Member

No, no Intelligent Update or Update Installer like Symantec or KAV.
    And this is pretty easy to understand... :p
    Piracy is the worst thing for a developper.
    Eset has choosen the best way to go, and you need an internet connection to make it easy.

I'm not sure this trick is very legal...I think modifying (editing update.ver) software without the permission of the owner is "copyright infringement", and the law imposes penalties on infringers.
    :rolleyes:
    Regards,
    Nick

13. Blackspear

I don't have an issue with updating a standalone PC (not connected to the internet) and the method on how to do such, given here.

I was taking issue with:
    This person appears to think they can generate a UN and PW for a fantastic piece of software that is very low priced in the market.

14. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

It's not like it's a license is very expensive. I found this to be one of the cheaper AV's.

15. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Blackspear

One word Description:- THIEVISH

Take Care,
    TheCare :cool:

16. Blackspear

LOL, yes, though not laughing matter ;)

17. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Mack Jones, that UPDATE.VER isn't a software and it isn't a part of NOD32 program files. i'm not patching any binary files. anyway i usually don't read the license or policy unless i smell an adware. you could be right, in that case i won't mind if Paul pulls this post off.

i'm sure ESET guys made the authetication necessary for the updates only because of piracy. but if your regular connection is gone or if your automatic update isn't working what will you do? i wrote this post after reading two posts about similar situation. both the writer wanted to know if there was any anything they could do. so i wrote this post to help them. have a good day.

18. Blackspear

As far as I know this is a VALID way of updating Nod32, see the following screenshot, it has your "a" drive as one of the possible servers from which you can update:

Attached Files:

19. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Ronjor, i couldn't understand your question. i know that was meant for Blackspear but i don't want to miss the fun.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What question?

21. Arin

Arin Registered Member

ah either you or someone of the moderators removed that post. you were asking Blackspear about talking to the wall which is NOD32.

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It was removed because it was off topic like so many posts in the NOD forum.

23. Arin

Arin Registered Member

oh i see. anyway Blackspear those are for the update floppies or CD made from ADMIN version. Marcos or Paolo Monti could shed a little light on this issue. i'm guessing its not illegal.

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

AMRX

Great idea! I think I WILL use NOD support for any issues I may have as a REGISTERED NOD32 user! :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  25. Arin

Arin Registered Member

yes you do that and tell me what they tell you about having an Internet connection as a must. i prefer to resolve any issues myself and when things go way out of my hand i blame the technical support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.