Anti-Phishing Domain Advisor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Echilis, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echilis

Echilis Registered Member

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

yeah it's powered by Panda Security.....it's included in both Panda Cloud Antivirus free and paid version.......you can use it separately also.........it's useful....

3. Sevens

Sevens Guest

The only reason I quit using it was I didn't like it changing the search engine in the address bar.

4. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

That option can be unchecked, ya know. :)

5. Sevens

Sevens Guest

If I remember right I had it unchecked and I think it stayed that way after uninstall. I remember going to a new image just to make sure I got rid of it. It wouldn't bother me if I had the option enabled.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Just been looking at this. The signatures appear to be updated regularly. Although the files are small, the folder they get downloaded into is growing. Since installation on 26th, there are now currently 312 files stored with a size of over 1MB.

Wonder if Panda Cloud's URL filter with their PCAV offering does the same thing?

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Just an update: 324 files are now in that folder. Surely there has to be a cleanup at some point? Otherwise this is going to grow and grow.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've uninstalled this as I don't like the idea of the signatures building up, however small each file is. It reached 330 on my system. There doesn't appear to be a clean-up of older files in operation.

Just curious if Panda Cloud AV downloads similar files. [ADA is based on the Panda offering.]

9. pbust

pbust AV Expert

The Panda URL Filter does automatically remove signatures for URLs that are no longer live, no longer malicious, etc. Unfortunately the rate of new malicious URLs far exceeds the rate that these URLs are being taken down, disabled, etc. And that's why you see the content grow. Regardless, if 2MB of space for URL signatures is that big a deal on your system then you might have bigger problems.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Couldn't the URL signatures be stored in the cloud? Isn't that one of the points behind Panda Cloud AV that most signatures are in the cloud.

11. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes they could, but the URL Filter is not actually part of Panda Cloud AV but rather a separate component which can be installed stand-alone as well.

12. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Reviews can't be right :D How would a free product trigger so many bad (evil) responses. Must be an organised crowd bash :argh:

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

15. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

Most of those user in CNET rated it based on the fact they were calling spyware and a virus. Not on performance. Myself I don't use and have no interest in using it. It's a URL & phishing filter which may, or may not work well. But it's certainly not spyware or a virus ridden program.

16. carat

carat Guest

Are there any search ratings like in WOT or AVG Linkscanner? :doubt:

17. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

webroot is flagging it as adware. :doubt:

Attached Files:

18. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Nope.

19. carat

carat Guest

Does it install a toolbar? It seems to be a nice alternative to Linkscanner or Trafficlight :)

20. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

No, it does not. The program is basically "Panda URL Filter" and you don't have to go through the quick toolbar uninstallation process. :)

21. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

This program did not block any malicious sites I tried from hp-hosts. A couple weeks ago, I believe I tried to load about 50 different sites listed on hp-hosts from March of this year and this program did not block anything. No blocks, no alerts, nothing. There were others who reported the same problem recently.

22. robertllr

robertllr Registered Member

Well, I have never installed any Panda products on my computer and this thing just appeared one day. That sure sounds like spy-ware to me!

23. The GLoW

The GLoW Registered Member

A "Visicom Media Anti-Phishing" warning just flagged my browser. I thought it was some rogue-type installer so I just shut my pc down. Didn't realize it was Panda until I viewed this thread. Couldn't Panda have branded this to avoid scarin' folks? My list of why I distrust Panda paid or free is growing.

24. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Couple of days back wanting to "test" Norton ConnectSafe (security), i went to MDL and clicked on about 30 links. Panda url filtering and google safe search combined together, they blocked the majority of links.
    Not a single alert from Norton btw

25. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Flagged? What do you mean? The warning popup and ect. have a panda head on them or mention Panda Security.

Try a different site if you want a much better test. Panda kindly takes the time to block the URLs and detect the "true" malware on a few beehives. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.