US killer spy drone controls switch to Linux

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lotuseclat79, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Daveski may now switch as well ;)

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm just about to order Linux for Dummies (special easy edition) ... ;)

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You're an IT guy in the army working on this, you've simply not set up Windows correctly or strictly enough (e.g. making the rookie mistake of leaving autorun turned on, probably also running under Admin). Now your boss is breathing down your neck as to why this happened. Do you:

A) Take the blame for not knowing what you're doing, and get fired. Probably never get a job again.
    B) Blame Windows, tell them to switch to Linux which is more restricted by default saving you even more time on learning, and keep your job.

Hard decision.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, there's more to it than just a simple Windows vs Linux issue. Linux won't auto-magically make these systems immune, nor will it really thwart attack attempts. That being said, Windows (and just about every person I know and have ever talked to involved in the design and maintenance of military equipment agrees), does not belong in mission critical applications or equipment.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I agree, infact the more I think about it now, the more I realize how silly it is to assume these drones are using a desktop OS like XP (at least I hope they're not).

It is far more like they are using a version of Windows like CE (Compact Embeded) which is used in many many devices around the world including hospitals. It makes more sense to assume they are using this, but that would only be a guess. It wouldn't explain how they got compromised either, nor do I have any experience with CE to do anything other than speculate.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The ground control systems, as stated in the article, are separated from the systems used to fly the drones. Sadly, the ground systems suffer from the same issues that much of the military and government "business" systems do, which is poor oversight, funding, and lack of thorough training. So no, there is no "XP for Drones". As far as how the compromise happened, well, two things likely, accident by aforementioned lack of oversight, or intentional (every person in the business knows there are "spiders" lurking in the corners).

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Awesome news.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I believe that Linux is popular with a few of the world's other militaries as well.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Definitely in South America, also Russia, China, and many others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.