Question about buying NOD32 instead of "renewing"

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by acillatem, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

This may seem like a stupid question, but I can get NOD32 4.0 for 3 computers for less than renewing my license for 2 computers, at Newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832752006
    and I'm running v5 right now, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I could just use then license key from this new one, yes?
    This one says French/English, so no problem there either.

Like I said, hope it's not a stupid question......it just saves me a few dollars, and I don't see a reason why it won't work, unless I'm missing something.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes afaik as long as you have a valid license you can use it with wich version you want :)

3. acillatem

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.......wouldn't even have to install this one, just use the license.

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

huh?!? That's a 3-user license for $49.99 - the renewal on a 3-user is $44.99 - why would you want to pay $5 moreo_O

5. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

It was much cheaper when the query was posted. It appears the price has now increased substantially.

6. acillatem

Yes it has. I did some searching again on the internet for any kind of sale, and came across this
    -http://www.buynortonantivirus.net/shop/eset-nod32-antivirus-v-5-0-3pcs-2year/-
    which is an even better deal, In fact, it kills the deal I originally posted about. I don't see any reason why it isn't legit, even though it almost seems too good to be true.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012
  7. prius04

8. acillatem

9. prius04

Yes, I agree completely.

10. acillatem

Yeah.....just trying to find a little cheaper way to renew. Wasn't thinking about it when the Black Friday sales and other holiday sales were going on.

Definitely not going to waste my time with that site.

11. acillatem

Newegg has the ESET Smart Security 4.0, 3 user, for 24.99 with a promo code. If I were to buy this, can I just install the AV, or does it install the entire suite?

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yes you can use a ess lic for either ess OR nod32 it will work for both.

13. acillatem

O.k. thanks.
    Can you refresh my memory.......would I have to install the ESS to register it to obtain the license,or is the serial number or activation code to register it on the cd envelope? It's been so long I can't remember. I've just been renewing my NOD32 online. That way I wouldn't have to install ESS, only to uninstall it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  14. zfactor

15. acillatem

Yeah, I found that after my last post.....thanks! :)
    You sure that wouldn't screw anything up as far as updates are concerned and whatnot? The reason I ask is the email I have from when I originally activated my NOD32 says
    Product name: ESET NOD32 Antivirus
    and with what I'm trying to do, I'd be activating ESS......you see where I'm going with that? :)

The other thing is that the renewal prices for ESS are higher than for NOD32, so if the license can work for either, why wouldn't someone renew their ESS with the NOD32 renewal? Because the pricing is different, it seems there would be a difference in the license.
    Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right, because it would save me a few dollars, and every little bit helps right now, otherwise I wouldn't even spend this kind of time on this.

I appreciate your help too.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

To clarify :)

With an NOD32 license you can use

NOD32 only.

With an ESET Smart Security license you can use.

ESS and NOD32.

HTH.

17. zfactor

^^^^^^^ correct. and it will be perfectly fine a ess license is good for EITHER ess or nod but not the other way around. simply activate, download nod32 and install it use the user name and password given at activation. easy.

18. acillatem

Well thanks to both of you for clarifying that. :)
    That answers the other question I had.....I think. This will get me a one year license for both of my computers cheaper than a renewal, and when the year is up, if I can't find another deal like this one, I can simply renew at the NOD32 pricing then, correct?

19. zfactor

your lic will be for ess not nod so if you go to renew it will be for ess. honestly you will find another deal then just look around for another boxed version which is what i do...

20. acillatem

Ah.....o.k.....they give me both options now, but that's because ESS is considered an upgrade over NOD32. Makes sense that the NOD32 option won't be there next time.

I remember some awesome Black Friday deals......but I wasn't thinking of my renewal cost at the time. I'll be paying much better attention next time.
    Or, I could buy two of these now, and throw the other one in the closet for a year.

21. zfactor

i bought multiple retail boxes basically im covered for a LONG time

22. acillatem

Yeah, I may buy a couple of these, or just one for now, and keep my eyes open for an even better deal. Newegg has some wicked deals sometimes with those E-blast sales.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  23. acillatem

This sale for ESS for 24.99 is good until the 9th, so I may hold on a couple days just in case they put NOD32 on sale for the same price. Just to make renewing more convenient, should I not find a killer deal before the next renewal. That's probably highly unlikely though. Don't really want to spring for 2 of these right now, but maybe I will, and be set for 2 years. :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  24. acillatem

Just got another email from Newegg, and they're having a 72 hour sale, and NOD32 v4 3 user is 21.99. :) The code for the current promotion is EMCNJND75 till 11:59pm PT 01/08/2012. I already have the ESS on the way, but I'm getting a couple of these as well!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  25. acillatem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.