I need a prehistoric USB driver.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by razorboy, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razorboy

razorboy Registered Member

I have the third computer ever made, more or less, and I have to get some data from the thing. It runs W98. When I insert a flash drive into the box, it ignores it. Is there somewhere I can get a driver to make the thing recognize the flash drive?

Thanks very much.

o_O

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Back then the usb drive needed a driver installed to use it. Best advice is to search for make/model and see if driver still exists.

I once bought a usb flash drive which had the 98se drivers on it. I wonder how many people spent quite some time just looking at it, wondering "now how do I do this?"....

Sul.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hehe, if you had the third computer ever made, you wouldn't have Win 98 on it, let alone a USB port :D As far as drivers, considering how recent these devices are, I'm not certain you can find one very easy for such an old OS, if at all.

Edit: Obviously Sully knows different, lol.

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

My previous motherboard (which was a core 2 duo board) had drivers for USB for Windows 98 and Windows 2000. It may be worth it to check your motherboard make and model and see if the drivers exist for it.

5. razorboy

6. axial

axial Registered Member

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

8. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

9. ABee

ABee Registered Member

10. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Universal USB for 98SE.
    http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#NUS
    For 98FE:
    http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#NUF

These packages work quite well. I have a 98SE unit with this package. It works fine with all of the USB devices I've tried including flash drives, external hard drives, and a card reader. If the hardware is USB 2.0 capable, 98 (FE and SE) will work at 2.0 speed.

If the USB is an add-on PCI card, you'll need an additional set of drivers for it. Many of them used Orangeware drivers. If you need these, let me know and I'll upload them for you.

11. razorboy

Wow.......... thanks very much for those answers. I won't have access to the computer for a couple of days yet, but I'll update here when I get at it.

12. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If you plan on keeping this 98 unit, spend some time at the 98 section of the MSFN forum. Look thru some of the projects there, especially Revolutions Pack, KernelEx, NUSB, and the unofficial service packs. What they've accomplished is amazing. Most of 98s major limitations have been broken, including RAM, the 2GB file size, and hard drive size limits. The resource problems of 98 have been all but eliminated. With KernelEx, it runs a lot of modern software. Contrary to common opinion, 98 can be secured very well. With better hardware (such as an earlier XP system) 98 can be a very stable and blistering fast system. It's still my OS by choice.

13. davidlynch

davidlynch Registered Member

I'm quite suprised to know that, thanks for pointing.

14. razorboy

Yes, thanks, that is very interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.