VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Or you can train it for few minutes, as advised...;)

2. VoodooShield

VoodooShield Registered Member

Actually, I happen to be familiar with MagicJack and Flashget (believe it or not). The MJ problem can be fixed by going to Settings / Advanced - Do not whitelist items in the App Data Directory. The problem is the MJ does not install itself in the Program Files where it should. Chrome used to do this as well, I wish developers would put stuff where it belongs. FYI, we included this option so that viruses could not spoof updates, like the Adobe Acrobat update.

As far as FG being blocked, you can change this in Settings / Tweaks - Do not blacklist CMD. Although if possible, I would blacklist CMD when VS is ON.

There is also another option that might work better... Settings / Custom - Custom Allowed paths, that might be your best bet. Although I do not remember if the Do Not Blacklist overrides this option. We can change it in the next version if it does.

And one final option, you could manually modify your whitelist by choosing the Edit Whitelist button in Settings.

Hope this helps!

3. ichito

ichito Registered Member

VS...is it needed to be online while we are using VoodooShield? I mean White List, settings etc. Is it possible use it without web connection?

4. VoodooShield

VS confirms your registration when you start it, so it should be online for that. Although, we put a 10-15 minute delay on it, just in case it cannot confirm your registration right away. But after the registration is confirmed, you do not need to be online.

Then again, do you really need VS if you are not online? ;)

VS is cloud based, in that it backs up your whitelist to the cloud, but it is stored locally on the computer as well. We do this so that the snapshot is not hackable, and so that you do not have to retrain VS if you reinstall windows or get a new computer. We also do this so that companies can train one computer, and transfer the whitelist to all of their other computers.

Thank you!

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

When I try to Edit the Whitelist I get an "unhandled exception error. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue..."

When I click Continue, it just goes back to the Settings menu.

Any suggestions?

6. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Yes, I have shared the link on my fb page...I dunno maybe a week?

7. VoodooShield

Hi, we had two other people who had a similar issue, and we believe it is resolved. Can you please download the latest version of VS and reinstall?

http://voodooshield.com/download/versions/Install VoodooShield.1.09.exe

That should fix it, but if not, please let us know. What version of Windows are you running, and what language? Thank you!

8. VoodooShield

Thank you!

9. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Your welcome

10. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Thank you for your reply and solutions. Appreciate it always.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No clue why, but it was temporarily.

It basically changes the admin and user environments back to their XP days, which isn't something that everyone wants. The 90% include UAC-protected admins, which is more than you think as people learns it's not just annoying prompts and get used to it.

Sure, as long as you allow it or it'll keep running with limited rights. You've ignored the fact that VoodooShield only "replaces" the privilege-escalation prompts of UAC, which is far from its full capabilities. My previous post (and those more knowledgeable than me) already explained those, so there's no point repeating. Even the compromise Admin Approval Mode "Elevate without prompting" wasn't accepted.

By forcibly replacing UAC without its entire feature set, it's a step backwards to the archaic XP days, where everyone and everything has admin rights every time, when they clearly shouldn't need to. It's like a Unix anti-exe trying to replace sudo, which is ridiculous.

It's been good chatting with you, but I'm afraid this issue won't bear fruit looking at all the previous failed attempts in the past.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  12. VoodooShield

The fact remains that 90-91% of all user accounts are admin, and the majority of those have UAC disabled. So we are talking somewhere in the range of 60-80% of the computers run as admin with UAC disabled. It is actually much higher than that, but I am just being conservative.

This disagreement can be solved quickly... just tell me what issue you have with us creating software that is designed to protect the 60-80% of computers who run admin accounts with UAC Off?

Do you run UAC?

You do realize that other security vendors monkey around with UAC and other Windows security features a heck of a lot more than we do, right? Besides, if VS was so bad, why did MS approve it for the App Store? I understand what other people have said about UAC and Virtualization, but what does that have to do with the 60-80% of the computers have UAC disabled? What you are saying is that VS should not disable UAC on computers that already have UAC disabled? That makes no sense at all.

How the heck do you know what features of UAC VoodooShield replaces? Have you seen our source code or patent?

You do realize that many, many people have tested the heck out of VS, and nothing has ever slipped by? Not to mention all of the users we have had the last 1 year and 8 months who have not had a single virus.

Here is one recent example:

Hi
    I just receive it as a giveaway from vood00shield and I tested on a pack of 600 malwares
    First i do a scan whith my antivirus 360 Qihoo at the end itis still 26 malwares that 360 Qihoo has not detected. i tried to exexecute each one but for each of them voodooshield has reacted
    it is simply a masterpiece
    Thank you to you voodooshield team and good luck

How do you think UAC would do in a test like that? hehehe

I am totally missing your point on this one: It's like a Unix anti-exe trying to replace sudo, which is ridiculous. 8 months ago or so Apple released Gate Keeper, which is basically VS without the shield.

We can continue to use technologies like UAC that do not work, or we can make the shift to something better. Just like Apple did, with Gate Keeper. I just wish you would see the big picture.

13. molhopicante

molhopicante Registered Member

I mean, receive a message that acknowledge the payment and the subscription.

Until now i only received the payment confirmation from PayPal but nothing from VS.

I'm trying to enter im my VS account but i have the message "Sorry, we did not find an account registered to this email address"

I did the payment @ 03/07 - 19.00 (UK-Time).

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@VoodooShield: It's your estimate (of customers I bet), with no facts to back it up.

Sure, force everyone to follow what you believe to be the (misinformed) majority. Of course I run UAC.

Tell me another one that completely disables it, or at least cripples UAC. Cause it's just another option in the App Store. How about not modifying it, and let the user choose?

Completely missed my point, read again. System stability of every software having admin privileges and every "admin" having privileges they don't need (not to mention far to restrictive limited accounts) is just asking for trouble. I.E. errors and bugs not contained to one user anymore.

Hehehe, still don't understand how you can't compare apples with oranges.

Oh did Apple remove sudo as well, or did they do the smart thing by implementing both? How about you tell virtually every other OS to disable sudo (which FYI is the equivalent of UAC) and give users full root access? Sure shows your ignorance of the big picture.

I was wondering why others gave up on this topic, and it's very clear to me why now. VoodooShield has no intention of changing what was set in stone. At least make that visible on the website.

15. VoodooShield

I already proved the 90% TWICE earlier in this thread, I am not going to waste my time looking for it again.

Install any major traditional antivirus, and run a virus from your desktop, and let me know if you see UAC.

VS for OSX is almost ready, and we did not disable sudo, so once again, you have really lost me.

The users do have a choice. We put the choice in BOLD letters right before the installation:

VoodooShield™ was designed to replace the Microsoft Windows User Account Control (UAC). VoodooShield™ works best with UAC disabled, and on computers whos user accounts run as administrator. During installation, VoodooShield™ will disable UAC so it can run properly.

I know why the other guy (you make is sound like there have been tons) gave up on this topic.. no one cannot tell me what issue they have with us creating software that is designed to protect the 60-80% of computers who run admin accounts with UAC Off?

Just let me know, it will settle this argument once and for all.

BTW, you make it sound like it is easy to develop software around the UAC restrictions. If you were a developer, you would understand... trust me.

16. VoodooShield

Sorry about that. Can you please PM me your email address and I will look into it ASAP. We can actually just give you a refund since we are offering a free 1 year promotion. Just go to the following link to sign up for free, and PM me your email address, and I will refund the money. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you!

http://voodooshield.com/freeoffer/

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

trying out voodooshield:thumb:
    is the licence for 1 year or life? nice program:thumb:

18. VoodooShield

Thank you, we appreciate that! 1 year for now... the goal is to find a way to make it free for everyone at some point, while trying to find a way to pay the bills. Maybe MS will buy VS and integrate it into UAC / Windows Defender, then it will be free for everyone ;). Someone call Bill and Steve and see what they think ;).

Obviously I am kidding, but VS would be great integrated into Windows. You would buy a new PC (or install Windows), and an hour or so later VS would pop up and tell you that it is trained and ready to protect your computer. Just a thought ;).

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that is a nice idea:) keep up the good work and so far so good it looks nice and stable:thumb:

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So where's the one that's not an unverified claim?

If the virus needs admin privileges and the AV doesn't detect it, of course. I don't see why you think any of them modify UAC in any way other than bypassing it themselves after acquiring the admin privileges.

How is sudo and UAC different for you? One of them doesn't require a password for prompts? Yet, somehow it works fine on OS X without the root account. Let me guess, ~90% of Mac users don't use that, so cater to the majority.

So it's incompatible, not a (equivalent) replacement. By choice I meant how to run the software in their environment.

There are more if you look into other threads. I don't see why you can't make a software for everyone, other than deliberate incompatibility.

I hope to not have the same points repeated back and forth.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap:thumb:
    it looks nice it make me remember of winsonar:)

22. VoodooShield

Ok, now we are getting somewhere, although you still seriously need to answer my 1 question that will settle this entire discussion.

But anyway... you said "There are more if you look into other threads. I don't see why you can't make a software for everyone, other than deliberate incompatibility."

If I could wave my magic wand and make all software work well with every other software, and solve world hunger at the same time, I would do it in a heart beat.

The thing is... it takes time to figure this stuff out, especially when you are working with UAC. Ask ANY developer... UAC is their worst enemy, it is impossible to deal with.

But in the mean time, we are protecting the vast majority of computers to the best of our ability. For now, users who have standard accounts really do not benefit a great deal by using VS.

BTW, I cannot talk too much about UAC as far as what changes we make... but I can tell you, they are very, very, very minimal. We change a 1 to a 0, and it only affects one of the UAC features.

Seriously, the 90% is in this thread, I really do not have time to look for it.

23. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Is your argument that VS does not inform the user it is going to disable UAC or is it just the fact that it does disables UAC?

24. justenough

justenough Registered Member

This back-and-forth between J_L and VS is interesting to read. I hope you guys continue the discussion, since it's instructive about how VoodooShield and UAC works, and hopefully staying this side of animosity without crossing over.

My question after reading the counter-arguments would be is VoodooShield a good program for someone like me who runs as Admin but uses UAC at "Default" level?

25. VoodooShield

Thank you! He has some great points! But he has to realize that I have thought about this for over 2 years now, and have been killing viruses for close to 15. That, and most of our investors happen to be attorneys, so they argue with me a lot, but it has just refined my debating skills ;).

The investors have been totally against me giving away VS for free. I cannot wait to tell them on Monday that I gave away VS for free, and it went semi viral, I am curious what they are going to say. Who knows what it will do this weekend if we extend the offer. I seriously did not mean to give away that many subscriptions, I thought it would be around 50 or so. It took me about 5 minutes to write this response, and we had another 11 people sign up (I get email notifications when a user signs up).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.