Mike Lin's StartUp Monitor

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by jnibori, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnibori

jnibori Registered Member

Don’t know if this is old stuff or not, but I just discovered it and thought I’d pass it on.

(Quote)
    StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from registering themselves behind your back, and it acts as a security tool against trojans like BackOrifice or Netbus.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml (bonus freeware regarding programs that load with Windows)

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I've been using it for a year now, and I like it a lot.

No more uninvited guests in Startup ever again...

3. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) I like it. I've got it. I'll install it tomorrow. Thanks!

4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

hi jinibori, Tony, Prince,

i was looking at the Startup Control Panel and the StartUp Monitor; i am not sure if i understand this right but one controls what's already been added, whereas the other controls what could be added but hasn't yet?

i was also looking at RegRun 3.20.
    if someone had RegRun, would features be over-lapping with the above two programs?

LOL! - i'm getting confused what does what again, and so many features available now it's difficult to keep track of without duplicating them. Could someone who has used either, or both, tell me the main differences?

thank you :)

snap

5. jnibori

jnibori Registered Member

Yes, that's my understanding. I have noted some entries which I compared to the data from this site (http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm) and located Spyware.

As far as the other part of your question, I do not run that program, so I don't know.

6. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi snapdragin,

Startup Control Panel is used to start and stop programs in the different start up places you can also delete them from the start up.

StartUp Monitor will tell you when a program wants to install to one or more startup places and give you the chance to deny.

Both programs are great, no problems on my XP pro system. They are in my first five programs I install when I re-install my OS. I like to get them going fast then install other programs. :D :D :D

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have used both Startup Control Panel and Startup Monitor on my xp home edition.They are good programs and never caused any problems for me.They are easy to use also.

8. snapdragin

thanks guys! :)

i d/l'ed the StartUp Control Panel on my son's WinME....hehehe....thought i'd test "his" pc out first!

i followed the instructions but when i installed it, it kinda went blip! and disappeared. i thought, ok maybe he needed that runtime update, so i installed that and tried re-installing the StartUp Control Panel again and it seemed to disappear.....blank-stare....i have nooooo i idea where it went......

i should find it though, before he takes his pc back to school... :rolleyes:

*i did double check to make sure it wasn't the Startup Monitor, since that one does run quietly in the background----right?

9. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Hey Snap. :)

The standalone version is better anyway. The other one acts as a control panel applet and needs to be installed. With the other you just download it and run it. No install.

10. snapdragin

standalone...version? Mike - huh?

i didn't d/l the standalone version then?? uh-oh----LOL!

11. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi guys,

Been using StartupMonitor on my machine for about a year now, never got any problem with it.

The funny thing is this program is so discreet that you completely forget about it. I even have trouble getting my hands back on it when I want to check it out.

But it surely comes from the background when new entries knock at the door of my registry.

Kind of an invisible guard which never makes any noise but always shows up when you need it.

Extremely low on resources too.

Crockett

12. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Standalone EXE Version
    http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL_EXE.zip (38kb)

13. zappa

zappa Registered Member

I've been using it for a while now too. Initially it was kinda funky but then found it's groove. RegRun can do the same thing and is more reliable with more options as one can have it automatically check with defined time intervals. 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

14. snapdragin

thank you Mike for the link!

i'll give it another try on my XP...then if i get it right, i'll try it again on my son's pc LOL!

zappa - i really wanna try RegRun...but even as i'm reading through all that it does...i am getting the feeling it's not for the newbie's.....but maybe i'll look at it again in a li'l while when i'm not such newbie----IF that's ever possible!

snap dreams ;)

15. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi snapdragin,

Startup Control Panel is installed in the Windows Control panel it will show as a computer icon and be labeled as startup.

Startup Monitor is a task running in the background.

hope this helps. :D

16. snapdragin

hi there Loki! Well, i must have done something right this time 'round...LOL...because i actually got a panel to look at and was able to get two things to stop at start up....but i don't have any icon in my Control Panel....or, anywhere actually.

if i want to use the StartUp Control Panel i have to go to the folder i installed in it and double-click on the .exe file there...then it pops up. :D

now i'll try the StartUp Monitor! LOL

thanks!

snap

17. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi snapdragin,

Glad to see you can use startup control panel. I've used that little program on win98, winME, win XP home, win XP pro, all installed into the control panel.
    If you look on your start menu you should see a listing of Stop StartupMonitor this means the program is running if you see Start StopupMonitor than just click it to start. I love these two little programs. :D

18. snapdragin

hi Loki - well i d/l'ed the StartUp Monitor on my XP-Home, and it showed up in the Start-->Programs---Stop StartUp Monitor. So i am able to get to it to stop it if i want to, and if i go through Explorer and find the folder i d/l'ed StartUpPanel to, double-click the startup.exe file, the Panel shows up and the StartUp Monitor is listed there.

i was on a roll so i thought i'd re-try it again on my son's WinME, and got both running correctly now....so i've done it right this time around! :D

thanks for your help everyone!

snap

19. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi snap! I have a wee little tip. Next time you go to the folder with the Startup.exe, Right Click on it and select Shortcut. It will appear at the bottom of the folder's file list. Select and drag it to your desktop. Next time you want to use it, it'll be right there. Double click the Shortcut and voila! ;)

20. snapdragin

~covers face~
    i remember that now!! LOL!
    i am not sure how often i would use the icon Prince, i've already got 40 on my desktop now and the island in my wallpaper is slowly sinking into the ocean---behind the icons! ;)

Prince - thank you...i really had forgotten i could do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.