New to sandboxie?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ITguyonline, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ITguyonline

ITguyonline Registered Member

I just installed sandboxie and if you can help me, what setting should I change from the default?

Thanks

2. Hank88

Hank88 Registered Member

I would suggest you go to the Sandboxie Website and do a little reading after Installing Sandboxie.

Sandboxie will give you Total protection with the Default Setup. Having said that, you can customize Sandboxie to really Lock down your system as much as possible or as much as you need. Sandboxie is probably the best program I've ever used to keep Malware off my Computer, or even run Programs that I might suspect have Malware. However, it is as only as good as the user is in using Sandboxie and understanding how it works.

BTW. Their Support for any problems is top-notch.

Help & FAQ.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics

Sandboxie Forums

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/

Ken: :)

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I would suggest you educate yourself on what SBIE does, why it does it, and how it effects you. While the default settings can keep you problem free, that is only true if you understand how they work. Many people put it on, do thier thing, only to find they still have a keylogger etc.

Once you fully understand what SBIE is doing, hopefully you will also understand what it can do for you. Then you can make changes to the options that best suit how you will use SBIE.

Sul.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

5. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Hi. All these settings are found in the Sandboxie control panel. Which is found when right clicking a sandbox then Sandbox Settings.

1) Restrictions / enable Drop Rights - ideally for every sandbox.

2) Delete / Delete Invocation / RMDIR (this is enabled by default with this setting, but try and get your hands on a Heidi Eraser 5 (the latest version sucks 6, IMO) Remember: This setting will dump everything in the sandbox, updates, settings and so on will be gone. But more importantly so will anything malicious. If you don't delete sandboxes whatever is in there will remain on your system until emptied. Which potentially very dangerous with keyloggers, etc.

3) Resource Access / File Access / Blocked Access / *add your My Documents/My Photos/My Music, other drives, etc. But be warned; this setting can hinder the functionality of web browsers, and many other applications - adding bookmarks to your browser for instance will need a further setting enabled. The setting is found in Applications / Web Browsers / (for each browser you'll see a setting to add bookmarks or allow cookies, etc. But remember these are creating small holes in the sandbox. If you don't have a seperate 3rd party bookmark application ... then add the allow bookmarks setting, otherwise you'll soon get fed up of a sandboxed browser) There are some default settings for most applications ... for easier functionality, compatibility... this can be found in sandbox Applications / All applications.

4) Have a default file save to location, preferably desktop. That way you enable sandbox restrictions to your important folders. With the payed version you can then create a saved files folder and have that covered with Sandboxie forced folders setting (under Program Start) Anything executing that is unsafe will automatically be sandboxed. This is handy for testing out stuff.

5) Make sure your anti virus works inside the sandbox. Use Eicar test files which are safe

6) If you can afford it ... I definitely recommend buying a Sandboxie license. That way you can have browsers and other applications start up by default all the time sandboxed. I can't remember if the free version allows multiple sandboxes, this is really the best way to use Sandboxie if you're going to run a lot of everyday applications inside sandboxes (especially at the same time). Individual sandboxes for each application allows better configuration for the ease of use and security - its particular needs/risks. To create multiple sandboxes ... Sandboxie control panel, under the Sandbox tab / Create New Sandbox.

Can't think of anything else right now. o_O

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It does not. ;)

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hey page, SBIE free does allow users to use multiple sandboxes but not at the same time.

@ITguyonline, you got some good advice already, make sure you do your reading and in a few months from now, if you get the paid version, you ll be able to use SBIE as Keyboard_Commando described on point#6. Thats how I use it to make SBIE automatic and to make isolation of programs work better.

Bo

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi Bo
    Thanks for the correction. Per the SBIE FAQs, "the unregistered version is limited in that it can only run programs in one sandbox at a time".
    I confused how many sandboxes you can use at one time with how many you can have.
    I've always used the lifetime license. ;)

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If I'm running Windows 7 with UAC enabled will drop rights make any meaningful difference?

10. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Hi, If you use your Windows account as Admin?, then yes, the dropped rights setting means something. You are creating a sandboxed limited rights area that doesn't have the same admin capabilities as the rest of the account. If you want to try installing an application in the sandbox with dropped rights enabled - it won't - you'll need to remove the setting for the installer to run.

And whenever anything executes in the sandbox you still receive the normal UAC notifications - Sandboxie is performing the initial system action.

Hope that helps.

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

ok thanks for the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.