Stripping Services Poll

Discussion in 'polls' started by cozumel, Sep 30, 2011.

?

What do you strip down from Windows?

1. Unneeded Bios/hardware function & associated drivers

34.8%
  2. Unneeded Windows/OEM applications and associated drivers

54.3%
  3. Disable unrequired services

76.1%
  4. Disable unrequired startup programs

78.3%
  5. I leave everything as it is

10.9%
  6. Don't care - This poll is dumb

13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

Since there have been so many threads about extra gadgets that you guys install, I thought I would start a thread from the opposite angle etc.

When I build a new desktop or receive a new laptop one of the first things I do is disable BIOS functions that won't be used and remove any associated drivers in Windows. Then I remove all unwanted Windows / OEM applications and associated drivers. Then I go through each service one by one and decide if it is required and disable if the answer is no. I do the same again with other startup programs.

This way I have a lightning quick machine that boots, runs programs and shutdown, all extremely quickly. It also makes it very quick and easy to identify and rectify problems if and when they occur (such as instability issues or whatever)

Wondered what you guys do...

Edit: LOL - Just realised the thread title makes this look like a survey of strip clubs!!:D I'll leave it as it is for now as it amuses me :cool:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Disable unrequired services
    Disable unrequired startup programs

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Disable unrequired OEM.
    Disable unrequired Services.
    Disable Unrequired Start Up.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Ya I thought you would at least have a video link or slideshow.:D

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Unneeded Bios/hardware function & associated drivers
    Unneeded Windows/OEM applications and associated drivers

I will disable/remove/hack anything that I don't need or don't want, regardless of the performance increase. I sometimes will disable things that cause a performance negative as well.

Sul.

6. cozumel

I kinda do the same thing too but I'm a touch confused why you would disable something that causes a negative impact upon performance. Is it to simplify fault-finding when there is a software related issue?

7. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

I checked the others, but left services alone. I tweaked services with Windows XP and Vista, but I haven't had a need to do that with Windows 7.

I'd say that disabling unneeded startup programs is a no-brainer. It has the best performance impact.

OEM applications are PITA with pre-configured installs. I always remove everything that shouldn't be there. Some affect performance, while others are just... useless. I don't need you Chicken Invaders minigames, Asus!

Disabling BIOS and hardware functions comes to the picture naturally, because I build my own desktop computers. For example, there is no need for the internal sound chip to be on while there is a sound card installed. This maybe is the area which "newbies" should leave as it is.

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I clean install, disable some services, disable some startups.

9. Yakuman

Yakuman Registered Member

Unneeded Bios/hardware function & associated drivers
    Unneeded Windows/OEM applications and associated drivers
    + more (e.g. the double-edged sword No GUI Boot tweak, removing / disabling hidden phantom devices in Device Manager, deleting all Task Scheduler tasks, disabling certain Event Viewer logs, deleting useless files like localization folders, etc.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  10. Sully

Sully Registered Member

One example would be the search or indexing. Depending on how you look at it, searching could be very much slower (and it is), but for myself, I find I get less hdd accesses with it off, and on my machine anyway, my transfer speeds were much better with these services off.

The drawback is that without it, searching is a good deal slower. Another example would be some of the network services in win7. Leaving them on means you can find other network computers easily, turning them off means you have to know what name/ip you are looking for.

It all depends really on what one views as a negative impact item. I have a registry file that I always use now to disable/remove things. I don't recall any other specific examples off-hand, although I am quite sure I have employed quite a few that others might see as extraneous. Thats OK though, as I do what I think gives me the best performance regardless of if it is "right".

Sul.

11. cozumel

Both of your examples are things I do as well. The only difference being that I've always viewed them as being positive impact! o_O lol

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Well I get rid of oem crap by reinstalling windows from the install disc.
    I see 100% no need to disabling default windows services. it causes more trouble than good and doesnt make any noticeable difference.

i do sort out uneeded start entries for example java update check. i dont see why it needs to run on every boot when it checks updates once a month..

13. NRProia

NRProia Registered Member

Hello,

Well, I didn't vote, because I only disabled two services that are considered risky by Avanquest:

Fix-It Utilities 11 Professional
    Startup Commander
    Disable the RemoteAccess and RemoteRegistry services due to security risk

Regards,

Nathan

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

With Vista stopping 'Services' doesn't really give any noticeable speed improvements as with XP. I agree with other members start up programs can slow things down.
    What I think is noticeable in terms of speed is the way 'Performance Options is configured'. I used to disable some in the beginning with Vista, I don't do it anymore as for some reasons Vista is now very fast.

Attached Files:

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The top 4, I'm a tweaker. When you buy it, you own it.

16. guest

guest Guest

That describes my behavior/views too. :thumb: However, I don't maintain a registry file with tweaks, my approach is different.

17. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I second that. By the way, it is not just about the performance. There are reguraly some vulnerabilities, especially to internet services like DNS/DHCP and when disabled, immediate update is not really required, because the exploit will just fail to work. That reminds me, that ransomware would have hard time to work without EFS/Bitlocker.

18. cozumel

It all depends on the system. Running Vista on a system that for arguments sake is running with onboard graphics off on a 965 mobo would cause a slowdown with Aero and all the other graphic performance options enabled.

Oh yeah, generally, I always disable system restore and change the virtual memory setting to a static size.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  19. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

With Aero disabled, desktop would use CPU instead of GPU, so I guess, that it is better to leave that one on, because there is no other use for GPU while working on desktop.

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Disable some startup programs.

21. guest

guest Guest

Why?

Some integrated graphics that support Aero actually are slow and will use shared system memory for the task, which pretty much means slowdowns.

Thinking on performance, I would only enable Aero in systems with dedicated graphics.

22. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'll disable or strip out everything that I don't use or need. Anything that I have a superior alternative for gets replaced. My Windows operating usually end up less than half the size they'd normally be and usually have less than half the number of running processes they'd normally have. My largest completed OS (XP-Pro) right now is 4.3GB of which 1.5GB is for a single game. My default system is well under 1GB.

23. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Registry file(s) are needed for when I do a reinstall rather than restore an image. In the past I created my own tools to work with, and had lots of options for an unattended install that nearly got my system exactly where I wanted it at first login.

On win7 though I started over from scratch, and because I use images now I have never devoted the time to a fully automated unattended install. But I still keep reg files and notes and specific programs around for when I do a real format/install. Thankfully though I use images, makes it so much better.

Sul.

24. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I tweak the living bejeezus out of my OS after a fresh install. Even if something provides no added security or performance benefit, I do it just to keep things tidy. The first OS I began doing this on was '98 SE, and now on XP Pro SP3.

Every once in awhile I'm still learning new things to tweak, even now ;)

25. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

With Windows 7, there's far less of a case for disabling services than there has been in the past with XP. This is because most of the Microsoft 'automatics' are set that way for a reason, and most of the 'manuals' aren't running anyway

Stripping away too much obviously doesn't help either functionality or security.

OTOH I set nearly all third party services to 'Disabled' or 'Manual', as many programs seem to think it necessary that they run all the time.

For performance, the biggest gains are made through dealing with Startups, followed by rationalising what security is running (e.g. getting rid of PC Tools or McAfee and replacing with something lighter). Also it's worth pruning Firefox plugins, as I've seen some absolute messes out there e.g. clogged with loads old Java runtimes and Java consoles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.