Freedom Antivirus & Firewall

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MikeGiann, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeGiann

MikeGiann Guest

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any opinions on Freedom Antivirus and Firewall? It came combined with my router and recommended by D-Link. Just wondering if it's any good and worth keeping or buying more reputable products. Wanted to do some research but can't find anything on this firewall and antivirus. If the D-Link name was not attached to this product I wouldn't even have heard of it. Well, thanks for all the help and keep up the good work with all of your wisdoms. Big thanks from a newbie.

2. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Hi Mike!
    Can't say I've heard too much about it.
    In anycase it's going to be a hard sell when your up against "freebies" like Zone Alarm, Sygate, Outpost and Kerio !
    I think maybe you should try one of the above first and maybe wait on some reviews about Freedom FW !!

bill :)

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The Freedom firewall came pre-installed on my Hewlett Packard pc.I haven't used it because you have to pay to start it up.I looked at it and it does have some interesting features such as cookie management.That's all I know about it.

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Freedom AV uses Command's AV engine, which is pretty powerful. Don't know about firewall.

Technodrome

5. sargon2

sargon2 Guest

Re: Freedom Antivirus & Firewall

telus.net gives freedom out for free and trust me its overpriced. Does not play well with others. You must disable all other firewalls, anti-virus, spam-blockers, pop-up blockers, etc and use only freedom. This is true even if your not using the firewall or other aspects of the software. I found I couldn't access the internet without shutting down other security software. Freedom got the boot.

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I can verify this. Caused major problems for a client, and is difficult to remove completely. As is common w/some AV's, it will not play nicely with either NAV or McAfee. If you do decide to use it, make sure it's the Lone Ranger on your PC.

;)

7. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Freedom of what?

8. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Something that does that crap makes my spyware alarm go off, CSAV engine or no! :mad:

9. Rednell

Rednell Registered Member

Hi Mike,
    I pay Aliant $5.95/month for Freedom antivirus and am not at all happy. It appears to work well as an antivirus, however, it really interfers with Java. Hence, I have to uninstall the program, as shutting it down does not help, to use any Java chats, my gmail account and I get Java script errors on any website that is Java dependent. Then I re-install it when I am away from my computer.
    I do not recommend this software for anyone who uses Java chat/sites.
    Now, I only have to find out how to get my money back.
    Rednell

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Freedom does use the command antivirus scan engine but that is as far as it goes. The rest of the freedom program seems to be a real pain. I have read this at several different sites over the last year or so. As stated in previous post ,it doesn't like any other av's installed and that goes for firewalls to.

bigc

11. Mikel108

Mikel108 Guest

Bell Canada offers Freedom Antivirus and Firewall at $5.95/month per feature. I can think of numerous well rated products that I would buy first for $144/year instead of a relatively unknown. If you want to know more about Freedom go to www.freedom.net this product is from ZeroKnowledge.

12. Re: Freedom Antivirus & Firewall

Hi Mike i had a free trial of it for a short time and i had a pretty good experience with freedom antivirus and would like to get the info on it again so i can get it on my comp..It is by far i think much better than symantec's norton anti virus program..want any more info contact me at <snip>

edited to remove email address to protect form harvesting - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
  13. waters

waters Registered Member

I have been useing it for a while now.I get it free with ntl.We do not get the firewall yet,so i just use the antivirus,which is authentium.The antivirus is very good ,and like any antivirus,it must be used on its own.When ntl provide the firewall there will be a small charge so i wint use the firewall,but just stick with the antivirus,which is one of the best.

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    No price difference between authentium Command AV and Freedom AV which is Command by authentium. So why would you go with Freedom AV? :doubt:

From what I hear no one here is using or wants Firewall :doubt:

15. AFT3RM47H

AFT3RM47H Guest

In My area of Simi Valley, CA, Adelphia Highspeed Powerlink Internet Service, offers a free full version download of freedom antivirus, so i tryed it out, and yes, it has to be the lone ranger. i had norton on when i downloaded and the comp froze faster than water in Below 500 Weather. I had to throw it into major safe mode to get rid of norton, but after that, things ran smooth as silk, and its worked wonders ever since. just thought i would share my experience.

16. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Our isp supplies Freedom Firewall and Anti-virus for a small monthly fee. My wife uses it (I don`t) and it works great on her system and seems light on resources.

17. cdcj57485

cdcj57485 Guest

freedom works greAt

18. cbeach

cbeach Guest

I have adelphia SoCal and the software is provided. Seems to be working fine. However, it does have some error occasionally and a message pops up saying it needs to shut down. If I try and send the error report to Microsoft the comp freezes up and needs to be rebooted. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.