Buying music online - iTunes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dog, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, :)

I gotta a quick question regarding purchasing music online from iTunes.

This service is not currently available to Canadians ... but my question is ... if I purchase an iTunes music card will I be able to download music from this service even though I'm located in Canada?

If the above answer is yes - are they available for purchase in Canada - Ontario? Or are they only available from Target in the States?

Thanks in advance. ;)

dog - *puppy*

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, :)

Another Question to add to the above ... To anyone that uses or has used this service ... Could you give me a review?

Thanks again in advance. :)

dog - *puppy*

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

BBSpot has an excellent Digital Music Store Review comparing the major online services (iTunes, Napster, BuyMusic, Rhapsody, etc) which should provide a lot of the info you ask for.

However you may also be interested in the Russian music download site www.allofmp3.com which offers cheap (500MB for $5) licenced downloads without any DRM restrictions (you also have a choice of format). It is legal in Russia (being licenced with ROMS, the Russian Organization for Multimedia and digital Systems) but "importing" them may be another matter. Check this Sydney Morning Herald story for more details and this discussion on Slashdot.

4. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Paranoid, :)

That's a great link ... lot's of info ... I've read the itunes review ... and still checking it out ... just wanted to say thanks.

dog - *puppy*

Do you happen to know about buying and using a music card - outside of the States?

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Glad you found it useful. I'm afraid I cannot comment on them myself since I only rip from my own CD collection (no DRM, I choose the quality). The Slashot thread has lots of good points though and should be worth the read (the link will list only those comments rated 3 or higher).

6. dog

dog Guest

Hi Paranoid, :)

Yah ... I only rip from my CD collection too ... I just wanted to d/l a few songs from iTunes ... for instance ... when an album I want only has one or two songs that I really want ... ie. Five Man Electrical Band song "Signs" - although this example is not available from iTunes currently.

On the issue of quality ... I had until recently stored all my music on my drive in lossless WMA ... but to tell you the truth ... when I converted all the files to iTunes equivalant loseless ACC ... it creates a file size of 1/10 of the WMAs' and I can not hear a difference in quality. :)

Thanks Again Paranoid! ;)

dog - *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.