Start program as admin on LUA account?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Beyonder, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

Okay, so I recently started using LUA + SRP on my Windows 7 64-bit Professional computer, but there is now only one problem:

Back when I used my admin account, automatically starting a program as administrator was easy. I just made a task, marked "run with highest priviliges" and I was good to go. The program would start without UAC asking me for password when my computer started.

But now, I want to start the program as admin when I am on my LUA account using a task. Is this even possible?
    I tried changing pretty much everything, but I'm clueless at this point. Picture of my settings (in Swedish, but you should get the idea):

9r5By.png
    http://i.imgur.com/9r5By.png

So, any suggestions?

PS. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Eh, things like this are why I don't use LUA. UAC covers that.

Wish I could be of more help.

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Try SuRun.

To start a program with admin rights using LUA account profile:
    Code:
    surun example.exe
    Using Admin account:
    Code:
    surun /runas example.exe

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

When you use Vista/7, by default your account is a member of the Admins group, but with UAC enabled, you are technically removed from Admin and placed in Users - this is a simplified view.

UAC can then make it easy for you to elevate when needed. UAC uses the term LUA. LUA has been called Limited User Account among other things. Now on Vista/7, the term SUA has sprung up. SUA would be considered in Vista/7 what LUA was on XP, and that is the account is not a member of the Admins group, but only the Users group.

If your account is only a member of the Users group, call it SUA or LUA or whatever you like, you are just a User.

To elevate to Admin, you would use RunAs. This is built into the OS. It requires you to input a username and password of an account that is a member of the Admins group. It is what makes many people dislike being a User. The default RunAs is IMO slow and clunky. It works fine though. If you don't change things much or need admin rights often, it fits the bill.

On XP many people used SuRun. SuRun is similar to UAC in that it helps you to elevate to admin level more easily. There are some other tools available too, although I forget all the names now. They all do the same thing though, they elevate.

If you are only a User in win7, you might try the standard RunAs. Perhaps you will find it is all you need. You might try SuRun if you do a lot of things which need elevating, or some of the other RunAs type tools available. Be aware you need the "secondary logon" service running to use RunAs though.

Your question is a driving factor that creates the two camps - those who are admin and those who are not. There is no doubt that being an admin can bring with it security problems that standard users will never face, just the same as there is no doubt being an admin is much more convenient than being a user if you do a lot of things that require elevation.

Only you can determine whether being a User is a pain or not for you. Only you can determine if using Admin with UAC is as protective as you want. Many here can provide the methods they employ to make thier computing enjoyable for them, whether it be admin or user. You just have to learn a bit, try things out, and decide for yourself.

I have flipped back and forth, trying out all sort of exotic things to try and achieve the level of security that being a User brings while also being able to do admin type things easily. After all of this, for myself, I am still an admin, and UAC is turned off. I adjusted what tools I use and how I do things for a compromise. What will you do?

Sul.

5. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

thanks for the info sully :thumb:

and i took the same path you did :thumb:

6. Beyonder

Well, basically I'm lazy and I don't feel like writing my password 2-3 times every time I login as LUA. I was hoping there would be a way of making a task or schedule or similar thing that would automatically start the programs as admin, without having to enter my password every time

So this is impossible or what?

Other than that, I don't find it much of a hassle to be regular user. After all, I only install a program once a month or so, so I very rarely even see the UAC prompt (other than when I start my computer, that is..)

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

As Sadeghi suggests, Surun might work for you (I love it :) ), or try this method, perhaps.

8. Beyonder

I tried the link you provided, and it works...sort of

If I remove /quiet from the short cut then it asks me if I want to run the program. I click Yes and it works

If I add /quiet to the shortcut then a CMD box opens then instantly disappears. The program does not start.

Any suggestions?

9. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Another option would be to use RAAC (Run As Admin Controller), a PCmag's utility to start programs with Full Administrative Privileges.

RAAC.png

I use this (with AppGuard) on 7x64 for about a year now without any problem. But take note that there is no available trial.

10. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Another related thread is Avoid UAC prompts by using an elevated program launcher.

Here is what I have in the relevant Task Scheduler task in the Action tab:
    Program/script:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\RunasSpc\runasspc.exe"
    Add arguments (optional):
    /cryptfile:"C:\Program Files\Folder Menu\crypt.spc" /quiet

I created the relevant RunasSpc crypt file to start Folder Menu elevated at C:\Program Files\Folder Menu\crypt.spc.

If it's working properly, you should get a UAC prompt for Folder Menu every time you log into the standard account, but it won't ask for admin credentials because the task that runs RunasSpc supplies the admin credentials.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  11. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I also went with RAAC - it has worked very well for over a year now

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

@Beyonder,

maybe try RAAC or certainly look at MrBrian's suggestion. He knows this kind of stuff probably the best :thumb:

That's right, I remember buying that some time ago after its developer was kind enough to let me trial it for free :) Although I quite liked RAAC, I ended up settling on SuRun, after finding it to be a bit more feature-rich. A little unsettling of late, though, is Surun has not been updated for ~ 2 months and no forum posts in the beta section in that time either :doubt:

13. MrBrian

14. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

15. MrBrian

16. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You could take a look at HStart by ntwind. The option to run without UAC prompt is only available in the registered version, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.