Online Armor 5.1 Public beta

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by adam993, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

What is new in Online Armor 5.1?

Greatly increased compatibility and stability with other applications
    We focused on improving the compatibility and stability of Online Armor in conjunction with products like Google Chrome, Sandboxie, Panda Cloud AV and others.

Overhauled white list settings
    We changed the white list settings slightly. In addition it is now possible to optionally trust all digitally signed files that were signed using a certificate that hasn't been used in connection with fraudulent or malicious activities in the past.

New upload feature

You are not sure about a certain program? You can now easily upload it to the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network and get the file scanned using Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

More than 100 other bug fixes

More than 100 reported bugs and issues in Online Armor 5.0 are fixed in 5.1. Those fixes include for example a recently reported vulnerability with Sinowal drive-by downloads, freezes during the SCW, freezes when executing applications from network shares, various Online Armor GUI freezes, cases where Online Armor forgot about certain application rules as well as many others.
    Download: xttp://tmp.emsisoft.com/oa/trunk/5.1.0.1285/OnlineArmorSetup.exe
    More details: http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/5162-online-armor-51-public-beta/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

This release also includes, I believe, a fix for the problem whereby Chrome wouldn't start when running in Sandboxie with OA installed :)

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Where did you read that?

Gerard

4. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Nice see a public beta.

5. Scoobs72

It was in one of the last betas prior to this RC. I tested out that beta to confirm it worked and didn't throw up any side-effects, but I've not tested this RC....however there's no reason to suspect a regression on the fix.

6. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

And there is also a hint in the announcement:

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Something to look forward to, since I run Sandboxie, Online Armor and Chrome. ;)

8. guest

guest Guest

Great job, I have seen that many bugs that I experienced have been fixed. :thumb:

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

10. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Running smoothly here...:thumb:

11. Scoobs72

Running very nice here. The large number of bug fixes is very welcome.

12. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Running great no problems!

13. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have Avast Internet Security with the firewall disabled. If I run this OA beta will there be a conflict between the Avast sandbox (suspicious apps run in sandbox with "ask" prompt) and the OA "run safer" ? Should I not use one or the other?

Also can OA be set to have any suspicious or unknown app run safer? Or is it just suspicious apps like in Avast settings?

Also, is the beta a time limited license (like 30 days?)

thanks

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  14. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

Even if it is disabled, the drivers (FW) will still be active, so there's a margin for conflicts.

OA's Run Safer works on demand or configurable.

It's configurable.

15. 1chaoticadult

Would be better to uninstall the firewall module.

16. acr1965

When I installed the Avast suite I chose not to install the firewall. So were the firewall drivers not installed?

17. 1chaoticadult

Then you are ok.

18. acr1965

ok thanks for the info but I guess I need to be more specific about the avast sandbox and the OA run safer. The avast sandbox has the option of automatically running suspicious programs in the sandbox but I have the settings to "ask". OA has an option to automatically "runsafer" unknown programs by default. Do I need to choose either the avast sandbox or the OA runsafer? What happens if both avast and oa try to handle a suspicious or unknown program in the sandbox and runsafer, respectively? I would assume that could cause problems?

Secondly, would it be advisable for me to choose either the avast web shield or the oa web shield? does their protection overlap?

thanks

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  19. SLE

SLE Registered Member

I don't know the avast sandbox in detail cause I use the only real thing sandboxie;) , but you talk about two different things and thats why there is no A or B.

RunSafer runs programs just with limited rights (LUA) and has nothing to do with sandboxing and how sandboxes work. If you have malware that doesn't need administrative rights it will even work with RunSafer. (If we ignore the HIPS of OA...)
    If you have Vista/7 and UAC enabled there is also no real need for RunSafer.

So - you can run both together.

In OA webshield websites are compared against black-lists, avast uses mainly traffic scanning which costs some ressources: So different approaches, but no conflict if you enable both.

20. acr1965

ok thanks for the info

21. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

What about oaserv.exe cpu usage when utorrent or any p2p program is open?

22. icr

icr Registered Member

The installer size is really small, have they trimmed the update size or theres additional download of updates(I am talking about of bigger updates)o_O

23. andrewf

andrewf Registered Member

Size of OA installer v5.1.0.1285 is 23,251,536 bytes

Installer does not include AV signatures (they're being downloaded only in case you're installing the ++ edition).

Best regards,
    Andrey.

24. Scoobs72

This is looking like a very nice RC. I can't detect any noticeable slowdown versus running without OA, something which I couldn't say about previous releases. It has the feeling of having had some major re-workings under the hood. Nice job :thumb: :thumb:

25. acr1965

I run Windows 7 in Admin account with UAC set to "always notify". So since runsafer doesn't do anything for me shouldn't I just disable it to avoid any potential conflict?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.