How can I save youtube videos in firefox or Chrome?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheMozart, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I have tried every single youtube firefox addon, and none of them appear on the youtube video page, so I am unable to save any videos from youtube into MP4 format.

How is this possible?

keepvid website doesn't work for me either, keeps giving "parse" error messages and says it's unable to save the youtube videos.

Any firefox or Chrome addon that ACTUALLY works?

Cheers.

2. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

3. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

You could try this xVideoServiceThief.

It's a nice open source tool for downloading video clips, although somewhat limited. Get the static version (portable) and you will be downloading videos without having to worry about add-ons spying on you.

4. Mem

Mem Registered Member

5. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Zemana stopped this program saying Freemake is trying to inject code into system files which can give it full access to my system!

So I tried it in the sandbox, yet Freemake was unable to download any youtube videos anyway. It just gives an error, "No Downloadable Video Available"

Big thumbs down for Freemake :(

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I tried this program, but it keeps saying often "Ooops, an error occured while trying to download the video", BUG REPORT your name, email and your comments.

And when I tried to download a youtube movie, it shows an key icon that is locked and says I need to be logged in to download it!
    :thumbd:

9. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

10. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Use Easy YouTube Video Downloader by Alactro. It will show you an easily accessible download button inside each youtube page where you can download in MP4 and FLV.

However personally I use Video DownloadHelper by mig But it might be a bit complicated for first time users. However in my opinion it is the best when comes to media downloading from streaming sites.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

This is a mystery, do you have any ideas why Easy YouTube Video Downloader doesn't even appear on the youtube video pages. No icon, no text, no nothing. It simply doesn't appear anywhere!:blink:

And Video DownloadHelper does nothing. Whenever I click to download the video, nothing happens at all!

I am using portableapps firefox, could that be the reason?

Fast Video Download firefox addon is the ONLY ONE that works for me, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't like it cause it only saves as FLV format.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I was able to download an mp4 video from youtube with video downloadhelper extension for firefox earlier tonight. I saw that you have to start playing the video in HD (mine was 720p) and then check VDH for the mp4 file.

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  14. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I haven't used it for a while but the last time I used it, it worked fine for me. BTW have you tried StreamTransport ? Again this program has also worked fine for me. You could give it a try.
    Edit: It may not work on W7.

15. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

it can save videos to mp4 if the video is in HD, I think. :D
    else it would download in flv then you can convert it to mp4 with another 3rd party tool.

16. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Weird, it could be portable firefox, I am not sure. I have been using both extensions for a very long time for me and my brother's PCs and I never had any problems.

17. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ TheMozart

Try this VideoCacheView http://www.nirsoft.net

I use DownloadHelper which works fine on FF, but have also used VCV before with excellent results :thumb:

18. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

19. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

20. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Downloadhelper doesn't allow saving direct to MP4 anyway without having to install some 3rd party software.

I got "fast video download" working as a firefox addon, but it only saves to FLV which is a pain!

I wish someone would create a firefox addon that saves direct to MP4 without needing to install 3rd party software.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Funny policy :D :blink:

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I am very inexperienced in dealing with malware and nasties. So I have made a habit to trust softpedia's expertise and only download programs from softpedia. So if a program is not available from softpedia, I won't download or install it. I have never been infected with anything, so it must be working :D

And on topic, what do you use to save youtube videos?

23. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Why don't you just scan your downloads?
    Anyway, drag and drop Clipnabber's bookmarklet into your bookmarks and everytime you want to download a video hit "nab it". Simple as that, nothing to install
    Or you can use this script (you need gracemonkey installed in FF)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  24. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Mozart, I use this for YT videos give it a try UMplayer. It will record the file in MP4 format and with resolutions up to 1080p.

25. tipo

tipo Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.