Wilders on Tapatalk?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Abeltje, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Hey,

Is there any chance Wilders will be available on Tapatalk? For those who don't know, its an app for using forums on your mobile. It works as least on iOS, Android, Blackberry OS .. And it's so much easier and eye-friendlier to use than websites ..

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I've looked over the application and must admit, it looks nice for forum users browsing with smart phones. However, it is not at all what I expected it to be when reviewing the code.

You might think it'd be something like a skin that just displays the forum in a smaller format, with some custom functions to make posting and page movement easier for the phone footprint. But, it's much more complex than that. It's an entire forum application that sits on the webserver side by side with vBulletin itself. They've recoded most of the major modules and nearly all forum functions into their own code base. It's 80 modules and thousands of lines of code, doing mostly the same thing as the existing vBulletin code. If you've customized something like say, new post processing for anti-spam measures, you'd have to also code it in the posting modules of this software and make sure you don't do it differently in one or the other, leading to either different functionality or different security.

The main downside to this complexity is that you effectively double the surface area of code that gets exposed to the Internet. Twice the code that might be vulnerable to SQL injection (they do most major functions using their own SQL calls), cross-site scripting attacks or other hacks. Searches on possible exploits via this application turned up some concerning results, including cases where forum admins removed the app from their servers. A number of those sites echo the concerns I've stated here, and I searched for exploit issues only after I finished the code review. So, no, I don't think we'll be implementing this software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.