Pure firewalls list

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by kareldjag, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Only AV and Firewall are selectable components on install now, Defense+ has to be disabled after installation.

Why? Open source is not a valid reason.

You guys forgot GhostWall. Also, I'm having problems downloading AS3, Firefox right-click > save link as an htm.part.htm file. Left-click re-directs to simtel.net.
    Otherwise, thanks for the links.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Bellgamin,

I just checked.

On installation, there are the options for installation. I opted for firewall only.

CPF.png

Near the end of installation, it attempted connecting out for a check on running processes. (I did not like that, although there was no active Internet connection anyway)

The comodo screen does show 4 tabs. Summary: Firewall: Defense+: More:
    In the "summary" tab, you can actually enable/disable Defense+ (re-boot needed). So the files are there, but just disabled.
    I checked for any SSDT entries for Comodo, but none there for just firewall active (with D+ active= 30+). But there where many "message hooks", not sure as to why they are there just for the firewall, or even why so many (35).

So probably not what you want.

- Stem

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

They changed the setup again huh. Well that's good, but not pure.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

5. ichito

ichito Registered Member

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Is there somewhere a firewall of this very kind running smoothly on Windows 7 64-bit systems (something like CHX could also be near anough to be of interest to me) ?

And doesn't Jetico II be included in this listing (if the hips part can be put out wile installing), but I did not try this one lastly, so it is just a long shot IMO's guess...

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Well, maybe It's the worst BUT is it the worstest of the worst? :doubt:

I know you said "some of these" but let me pick nits anyhow. To wit -- AFAIK, Ft Knox is not one of the "some". It is still being developed.

Yes, but they screwed it up rather quickly. Worse yet, they don't even know the correct way to spell "Viper." (hisssss)

10. blasev

blasev Registered Member

This thread is an eye opener, there so many pure firewall.
    Any recommendation?

11. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

VisNetic Firewall is a nice choice, James Grant really knows a bit about software firewall development. Sadly, I think the latest release was in 2007. And a note on their download page “VisNetic Firewall is not compatible with Vista, 2008, Windows 7 and 64bit Operating Systems. Wireless adapters are not supported.

CHX-I was another good one, sadly that was discontinued.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AFAIK, very VERY few of the listed firewalls are compatible with Win7, whether 32-bit or 64. I fear the day of the pure FW is drawing to a close. Further, it seems to me that *stand-alone firewalls* of any vintage are also disappearing from the scene.

One of the few pure AND contemporary firewalls is Ft Knox FW.

Ft Knox is still being actively maintained &, furthermore, actually WORKS with Win7-64!! Better yet, FtK currently has a no-strings 6-month trial offer HERE. How long will it last? Who knows? Grab a code while you can. (I got mine).

@Stem --- PLEASE give Ft Knox a trial. We need your comments on this FW -- one of the few actively-maintained pure FWs on this list, & (AFAIK) it has never yet been competently tested. Please take FK for a spin of meaningful duration & share your views.

13. newline

newline Registered Member

+1 (for x64).

14. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

15. ichito

ichito Registered Member

WOT not always points correctly:
    - on Helpmyos.com (The Ultimate Geek TaskForce) link and post was removed
    - on Spywarewarior.com "false positives work as goad to purchase; poor scan reporting [A: 7-15-04 / U: 7-15-04]"
    - installation file - VT scan result 0/43

16. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

No doubt , no doubt, worstest of them all.
    No-one can explain why , but I heard that CEO of that company is a very evil man , he certainly has plans to usher a New World Order via this product.
    Nothing wrong with the product, but stay away from it, just stay away.
    Use anything else but this one, don't even think about using the evil one.
    Just go with the Wilders flow, follow the trends.

17. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Thx for the answer Phath0m and Bellgamin
    Its surely sad to have them gone/not compatible with win 7.

@stem : yeah please review fort knox if you have time :D

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi bellgamin,

Well, are you sure? You should know me and how I test, and I post the results (regardless good or bad), which unfortunately do not always show a result the user was expecting.
    For example: I have installed the trial version of FK. On boot, there is a period of time with no protection (no full boot protection). FK process just after boot attempts outbound to "fortknox-firewall.com". It is using an hard_coded rule (AllowFirewall). I have disabled updates(which are not actually given anyway for trial), even a specific rule to block all comms does not work againt FK. The only way to stop it is by enabling "Block all", which does stop the outbound. (it does at least log the events).

So, do you really want me to fully test?

Edit. Yes, I know some may think that the firewall giving itself outbound is OK, however, from the user_manual:-
    update: As the outbound is HTTP, I allowed to check. There is a check for updates and also (what appears to be) a validation of my trial period, which, looking at the sniffer log, appears to end in 9 days. So no real concern(apart from lack of control), but would of thought any checks would of been made via HTTPS.

- Stem

19. pabrate

I'm sorry but I wasn't paying attention before (reading your tests before) , I missed them somehow , that's probably cause I don't read all the topics here.

Have you tested Comodo before and if you did can you please post a link to it ?
    I would be happy to read it.

Thanks.

20. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There are some results I have posted, but not for Comodo, or some of the other "favorites", simply because most of the replies to such postings would be from fan-boys/trolls who do not like the results.
    I got such replies (as a simple example) when I posted the fact that a well known firewall did not check an applications checksum.

- Stem

21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Are you familiar with Armor2Net?

I never heard of it until now. I checked URLVoid and got this http://www.urlvoid.com/scan/armor2net.com

Thanks

22. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Dear stem

Thx for the brief review
    Even when I'm blind with love, I'll always value an objective review from an expert :thumb:

23. pabrate

Ah okay, well, that's a shame, I would really love to hear your thoughts about it.
    But then again, why would you worry about comments from fanboys/trolls , if your test/results is/are valid , then just ignore them.
    They can't say that "something" is white , if that "something" is clearly black , if you know what I mean.
    That's what I would do if I were you , but it's your choice and I respect it.

24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi blasev,

That was not a review, just really a question. My testing does take quite a while, as I have to repeat the tests many times to ensure correct results. I will be making the tests over the next few days when time available (that is if bellgamin still wants the testing).

----------------------------------------------------

A word of warning concerning FK (just in case it was missed). In the "Options-> Enhancements" there is a setting for "Enable local network traffic"(enabled by default). That setting should be disabled unless on a trusted LAN.
    Normally with such a setting, it would distinguish between a private LAN (such as 192.168.*.*) and a public LAN (such as a cable connection through ISP LAN), but FK does not. So if that option is enabled when connecting to an ISP LAN, ALL inbound and outbound connections will be allowed to any application on the PC without notification (example, no popup for an application to be allowed inbound connection from that LAN).

- Stem

25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Unfortunately is does not go like that. One of the problems is that users and vendors have a way of redefining what is meant by the protection shown/stated. As example:- I am having a quick look now at FK. I see in the "Options-> Enhancements" there is "Enable anti-MAC spoofing". Now to me, that would mean that it will block a spoofed ARP packet. In the FK user manual it states:-
    OK, so I can actually send a spoofed ARP request to the PC with FK installed and cause redirect (possible man-in-the-middle) and/or cause DOS by ARP spoofed gateway MAC.
    Now, is the protection actually there as stated? I would say no, but the user manual could be shown as saying it does not actually protect from a "spoofed ARP request" as the request can be seen as expected, and it only blocks unexpected ARP traffic, which could be correct, however, then should the protection not be shown/stated as "Block unexpected ARP"?

- Stem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.