USB flash drive threats

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by 33AWS, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 33AWS

33AWS Registered Member

What kind of threats exist when it comes to USB flash drive?

I am trying to protect myself against USB flash drive threats and I have came to the following conclusions:

1) Autorun.inf threat (auto execute malware as soon as the flash drive is plugged in)

2) Exploits (like the .LNK exploit)

3) Infected files on the malware

Are there are ny other threats? For example: can USB flash drives have rootkit?

Thanks

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

How well would something like Panda USB Vaccine work for USB drives?

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I know Panda works fine for number 1 on FAT/FAT 32 formatted USB drives (I tested this on active malware.) It probably works for NTFS too but I've not tested that out. While others have their favorite way to deal with number 1, Panda's USB Vaccine is my favorite.

Number two is handled if you run a fully patched Windows PC from XP and higher. MS released Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-046 in August 2010 that addressed this.

If I understand what 33AWS means, IMO, number 3 is not an issue if the malware is not executed. Any good antivirus could be used to scan for and delete any nasty stuff.

4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

A few possible means of protection:

1. Disable Autorun the "correct" way. Better still, default-deny policy or app such as Anti-executable/SRP/Applocker.

2. Patch/Update the system. Employ workarounds or 3rd-party tools.

3. If it's something that you're going to execute on purpose, use antivirus/anti-malware for detection, HIPS to detect anomaly, or a sandbox/light virtualization to run the file in a 'contained' environment.

5. 33AWS

33AWS Registered Member

Hey.

Thanks for all your replies. At first I wanted to see what kind of threats USB flash drives can bring. I agree that number 3 can be discussed if it is really a threat... so I think Autorun and Exploits are the major threats.

Are there any other threats beside these two that you have to worry about when it comes to USB flash drives?

6. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Yes there certainly are.

7. 33AWS

33AWS Registered Member

Well.. which threats then?

8. 33AWS

33AWS Registered Member

Anyone got any idea about other threats when it comes to USB flash disks?

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

For me, you've covered the basics of malware related issues... that being autorun related problems and actual infected drives.

IMO, the other things are user caused issues. Two biggies being exposure to static electricity or removing the drive from a computer when still being read from or written to.

10. x942

x942 Guest

The teensy or arduino are huge threats. Look here http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showforum=56. The device acts as a HID and can inject keyboard and mouse controls at very fast speeds which can be used maliciously

11. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

How would 1 and 2 operate in a partition not recognised by Windows, what Gparted might call "unallocated space"?
    What file systems are there that Gparted would lable as unallocated?

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I think another possible threat is booting into a flash drive with infected VBR.

13. caspian

caspian Registered Member

OMG surely there's a better way. That looks pretty scary.

14. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

if you have a version of windows that will let you edit group policy, gpedit.msc has a nice and easy to configure way of setting autoplay and autorun settings in Administrative templates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.