Configuring Tor

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Cody_Miller_, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cody_Miller_

Cody_Miller_ Registered Member

Hello, I plan to use tor on xp running in a virtual machine on virtual box. I wish to use xp only for anonymous browsing.

I do not plan to use cookies or to download material.

How can I be as secure, anonymous, and untraceable as possible while using tor?

Also, how can I confirm that I am using tor correctly?

Thank you greatly for any help.

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Use TAILS (The Amnesic Incognito Live System). It hooks into TOR, but if you use it in Live CD or Live USB flash drive form, your disks are not mounted unless you mount them yourself, and it can be run from a VM setup.

Otherwise, if you insist on running TOR from WinXP instead, then get the Windows bundle at the TOR projects download webpage.

-- Tom

4. Cody_Miller_

Cody_Miller_ Registered Member

Sweet!

So how do I confirm it's working?

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

6. lotuseclat79

When TAILS comes up, the initial tab is primed for checking whether Tor is working by visiting the Tor website for verification - all the user has to do (in the Firefox derivative browser aka IceWeasel, is to click on the green arrow at the right of the location bar to go to the Tor webpage for verification.

Not sure the Windows browser bundle is setup like that - but, it should be, else, you would have to visit the Tor website and click on the check webpage.

-- Tom

7. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

install the firefox tor add on. It takes care of all the dns leaks and cookies etc etc. I think when you install Tor it automatically installs it for you. That takes care of all the cookies. That's why google goes bananas when you surf on tor with it. You can hook up a Ssh tunnel as well to tor nodes making it more secure. or you can hook up OpenVPN tunnel connected between your virtual machine and the host which then goes thru tor even more anonymity.

8. anewerauser

anewerauser Registered Member

Can u explain in more detail,please?
    Thanks.

9. lotuseclat79

Never ever use Tor without Firefox and the plugins Torbutton and NoScript (at the very least). Preferably, get a plugin that does not save history nor cookies in your browser profile. I use Stealther instrumented to work with Firefox 3.6.18 in my everyday browsing with or without Tor enabled.

-- Tom

10. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

here you go
    http://www.ncmilitia.org/matrix/ar01s03.html#DoubleBlackMagicIP

That is advisable for anyone doing security testing using TOR. Please use that method if you do coz people do penetration testing over tor which ends up with a lot of blacklisted nodes.

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Please explain how you are hooking up OpenVPN between the virtual machine and the host?

Also this seems pretty do able with out a VM and if you know how please explain too...

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.