AV-Comparatives Retrospective / Proactive Test May 2011 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by clayieee, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

3. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Re: AV-Comparatives Retrospective/Proactive Test May 2011

Norton/Symantec did not take part in the test, interesting.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

What's up with MS, maybe the February signatures sucked? (They sucked in the other test too with February signatures). OneCare sucked, then they released MSE and poured resources into good detection rates, now it's sliding again.

Going to try Windows 8 beta without AV, seems pointless these days. Maybe not for standard users, but definitely for me, looking at those detection rates.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks..:) At last a good result for Avira. Alas! Avast not included. I am almost sure it has improved proactive detection. Because G Data scored good but Bitdefender not.

6. elapsed

Yes and then you wonder, HMMM! How does BitDefender get 100% on 0-day (which frankly is BS) on av-test.org yet score poorly elsewhere? :rolleyes:

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I think MS's idea was to have millions of users systems functioning as honeypots... perhaps to increase detection rates of the enterprise product version? :D

Sometime ago an user by the nickname Chris_MS (Microsoft employee?) did say they prefer to get samples from users themselves... Maybe this was a hint... *puppy*

I have to consider a different solution to relatives, because, as you say, MSE detections rate are increasing... :rolleyes: (Note, I'm being sarcastic!!! :p)

8. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

I think more vendors are starting to get the fact that these tests are useless in regards to determining how well they protect your PC as many did not include in this test.

In my opinion, that's a step in the right direction.

9. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I surely agree with you. Everybody sees that the only test which has some real world relevance is the whole product dynamic test.

But the most vendors will stay particapating in the on-demand tests I think, simply because the results (most are around 99%/98%) are way higher there in comparison to the retrospective tests, which makes them look good to average users.
    Also I do think most of them will keep participating in the yearly performance test.

10. m0unds

m0unds Guest

the methodology is different. the sample size is different. the types of samples are different. why is it so hard for people to accept that different testing organizations can have different results with different sample sizes and different methodologies? :rolleyes:

(FYI: AV-test's proactive detection sample size for their latest report: 29. AV-C's? 9177.)

11. elapsed

I guess I didn't put enough emphasis on "100% 0-day", something no AV in the world is capable off.

12. Quitch

Quitch Registered Member

I question the point of this test without an Internet connection. I understand what they're trying to represent but I don't think it's something useful to represent. How often are machines in working offline scenarios executing files that wouldn't have gone through the on-access scanner at some time prior?

And clearly the vendors are thinking this since more and more of them are dropping out of this test.

13. m0unds

m0unds Guest

...that's not what's claimed. what's claimed is a 100% detection/thwart/whatever rate in av-test's 29 0-day sample test.

i'd imagine you'd agree that 29 samples is tiny and that the 9177 samples in this av-c test likely produce a better picture, right?

at any rate, totally OT.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Extremely rare for ESET to get false positives like that. Not consistent with my usage of their products.

15. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Why were Avast!, AVG, Norton all missing? Come on!

16. gery

gery Registered Member

Norton missing?

17. xandros

xandros Registered Member

the important things to me norton & avast
    and its not include it o_O o_O

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I much prefer the real world tests. static on demand scanner tests with outdated signatures only show part of the story.

19. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I use eset online scanner as my primary on-demand scanner. I have to say that its FP rate on clean files have increased.

20. Superman20

Superman20 Registered Member

It would have been nice to see actual number of malware detected in addition to summary % detection.

21. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I agree that the number of false positives in tests (both AV-Test and AV-Comparatives) caused by ESET have increased over let's say the past six months. However I have never encountered one myself.

22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. I just installed the beta 5 yesterday. I guess we'll see how long it lasts.

23. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Posts 15-17, the non-inclusion of some vendors has been touched upon, starting on page four of the document.

24. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Have you reported these files to ESET to confirm or deny that they are false positives? In the mean time, could you post here some of those detections which might give us a clue as to what files you mean?

25. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

You mean in "Vipre´s direction".I would pay some good money to see it thoroughly tested just once. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.