PCMatic "Super Shield"?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandonn2010, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

While I believe these things are a scam, along with doublemyspeed, maxmyspeed, mycleanpc, etc. I now noticed the PCMatic commercials say with SuperShield you will never get infected again. Has anyone tested this? Is it like DefenseWall or something, or are they outright lying?

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i lost confidence right after reading that. ;)

4. Brandonn2010

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/pcmatic.asp

Here's a post from a moderator from their forum:

"SuperShield is a new free add-on to further enhance the computer's protection. It works in conjunction with the PC Matic Real Time component. SuperShield will block any program that is not on the "known good" white list. PC MaticRT blocks items if they are found on our blacklist. Between the two of them, nothing should ever execute on the computer without the user's knowledge or permission.

You can right-click on the green shield icon in the lower right corner of the screen by the clock and either change the Protection Level to minimal to turn off Super Shield and just leave the Real Time protection running, or you can change to Advanced Mode and add the programs to your "Always Allow" list, provided that you know for sure that these are legitimate programs. "

Sounds kind of like Comodo, and while Comodo works well, it doesn't guarantee they will never get infected. It doesn't seem like it would be user friendly for the most-likely computer-illiterate people that would use PCMatic.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

They all smell rogueish. *Puts a clothespin on nose* Yuck

6. Brandonn2010

Well I know the doublemyspeed or mycleanpc, I can't remember, are owned by the Cyber Defender people, which that is basically a rogue. I think PCMatic by PC PitStop is legitimate, but it just seems so much like a rogue. I'm tempted to install it on a VM and see what "infections" it may find.

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I've tested on my lap (in Safe Mode by SD) both applications: PC Matic and Exterminate...it seems that both should be still connected to the network and probably work only in cloud.
    Just after installation...maybe even during installation - I have not noticed that...try to connect with they servers
    PC Matic
    PCMatic 1.jpg
    PCMatic 2.jpg
    Exterminate
    Exterminate 1.jpg
    Exterminate 2.jpg
    PC Matic was freezed without connection and didn't work, but Exterminate even whitout connection showed that it is correctly updated but it was impossible to scan.
    It's looks form me somthing strange :blink:

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well i thought i'd try it for laughs. Talk about busy connections :eek:

pc.gif

I did it with the FW lock on so NO outbounds, as i had a feeling it was going to call home :D It started calling home well before it the install got under way "properly" Look at ALL the Temp file attempts :eek:

Anyway eventually it never installed properly, but as i'm SD mode it's no biggy :p

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Maybe the program is a part installer that connects to the net and downloads files etc to complete installation?
    ellison

10. SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR Registered Member

this is it in action

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      70.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      63.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      69.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      57 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      133.4 KB
      Views:
  11. Brandonn2010

Was that on a clean machine or an infected one? :D

12. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Those malware names (or at least the with with the !BT) are Sunbelt names.

13. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

PCMatic is just rogue scareware, I hate to see what was once a trusted security site sale junk like this. For the record, pcpitstop.com don't develop their own products, they buy license and/or use free open-source codes from other vendors and then re-brand products in their name.

Thanks.:D

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

And they even want you to push the iLike button :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.