The prgram has been damages, possibly by a bad sector or a virus.

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by ragawu, Apr 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ragawu

ragawu Registered Member

Hi there,
    I just tried to install spywareblaster 3.1 and received this error message on the first run. Trued to re-install but same problem.
    Any ideas? there is a definete chance that I have a variant of the cool web search trogan messing round with things..

2. pocketlama

pocketlama Guest

Yeah, same here... I'm searching the forums to see if it's addressed elsewhere...

3. davidstl

davidstl Registered Member

Not alone, I have the same problem.

4. jandan

jandan Registered Member

I have the same problem !
    what is the corrective action?
    thanks

5. Meditate

Meditate Registered Member

i made a post about this earlier this morning and no one has replied, and i saw one by someone else posted a day or so before mine, with no reply. IT really sucks that no one is willing to HELP on this matter. Guess they are too good. Blah...*** it, i don't need the *** thing. This is worse than trying to get someone to help you with Linux :rolleyes: and it pisses me off. All i'm asking is to tell me what the problem is, or at least help in that department. sheesh. This is the worst help forum(minus linux forums) i have ever been too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2004
  6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

In case you ladies and gents would read to sticky post above (that's what sticky posts are all about), you would have noticed Javacool's response in this subject from today.

Meditate, I've removed swearing and cursing from your post. Please refrain from words and expressions like these.

regards.

paul

7. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Cures are being worked on

it isn't just spyware blaster that is affected it's many other applications also

It is almost certain that the cws hijacker is responsible and once that is fully removed SB comes back working normally

if you have the problem please do this and we will try to help you

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

8. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

There must be something contagious in the air or something lately as there seems to be a rash of this sort of thing going on (where people here are being accused of being unhelpful, clique-ish or whatever). Personally, I resent these accusations, as should all of the moderators and administrators.

Wilders has consistently been one of the more helpful sites I've dealt with; not only do all of the mods, admins and others jump in and help wherever necessary, but we also have a fair number of other highly-qualified individuals who can (and frequently do) answer questions and requests for assistance in areas where they may have 'special' experience.

Don't be so quick to level accusations, folks: if you had looked around this forum, you would've seen that this was an ongoing problem and that various fixes are being worked on.

A final note regarding this sort of accusation: foot-in-mouth disease is VERY unpleasant!

9. luqius

luqius Guest

the items in the postet link didnt work. i posted my hijackthis log. spywareblaster still wont start. i got the same error on another program.
    help plz

10. dangitall

Luqius - did you try any other download links for SWB? What error message are you getting, and at what point in the installation process? What is the other program that you are having problems with?

Anyway, as you just recently posted your HJT log, give one of the experts a chance to respond.

11. luqiu

luqiu Guest

i reinstalled it twice and redownloaded it once. the error msg is the same as in the topic of this thread :"The program has been damages, possibly by a bad sector or a virus. Please reinstall it"

the other program is a download manager called getright

12. mick68

mick68 Registered Member

I have the same problem....I had cws problem and the update to adware as of 5/2/04 corrected the problem. I have run adware and highjack this and see no threats.

13. luqius

luqius Guest

i tryed to fix it with adaware with the newest update. but it didn't work. so can anyone tell me how to fix this? hijackthis doesn't detect the problem. and all the other programs didn't fix it either

14. Meditate

Meditate Registered Member

i apologize for my behavior the other day. It just gets aggravating to ask a question and NO ONE replies. Like, with a link to somewhere its been brought to attention, a post saying its being worked on, etc. The sticky thread in mention doesn't have the problem labeled in the topic, so i didn't know it would be in that sticky. Its alot easier to find when the topic pertains to the problem, as this one does. again i apologize.

15. metafizx

metafizx Registered Member

check out this forum for more help with this problem:

adware, spyware & hijack cleaning

16. luqius

luqius Guest

tell us the exact thread plz. this forum got tousands of threads.

17. dangitall

luqius, here is the link to the sticky post which gives instruction on how to post a HijackThis log here at Wilders: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

Meditate - unfortunately, things are not always as organized around here as they perhaps could be, and the mods, admins and (especially, it seems) Javacool are extremely busy. Patience is definitely required; gratification is rarely instant, here. The thing to do, especially in a forum section as busy as this one, might be to check the last ten or fifteen active threads to see if someone else has posted 'out of place' with a question/problem similar to your own. Often, you will find the response there that you're seeking. I know that this is a frustrating problem; SWB and SWG are programs that many of us rely heavily on and, when there are problems ... well, you've experienced what happens. Please rest assured that you are not being ignored and that it is simply a matter of time before some bozo like me swings through and tries to point you (or anyone else) in the right direction.

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  18. Mihai

Mihai Guest

Metafizx:
    what you say here doesn't help with this particular problem.

let's just hope they will come with a fix soon.

thanks guys
    Mihai

19. luqius

luqius Guest

lol i know how to use hijackthis.
    but it doesnt help in this case.
    i also searched many threads where this problem was mentioned. but there wasn't a single response...

20. mick68

mick68 Registered Member

Yesterday, after alot of adware scans and Hijackthis logs posted to Lavasupport forums I finally cleaned up the coolwebsearch hijacker that was messing up my system and keeping spyblaster from working. Spyblaster finally worked for the first time time weeks. Everything was great until this afternoon the hijacker was back and once again, I get the same message about bad sectors or a virus........Keep working it(spyblaster) will come back sooner or later...It just maay not keep working!!!!

21. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Obviously this problem isn't the easiest one to fix or there would be a fix available already. ;)

But I think I'm very close - I thank everyone who is seeing this error for their patience.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

22. Mihai

Mihai Guest

Javacool

tell me if I can send you anything describing my system that might help you.
    I don't see anything in hijackthis but it might be something hiding somewhere else. if it helps tell me what kind of system shoot you need.

23. Mihai

Mihai Guest

I think I found something:
    everytime I start (or stop) Spyblaster Help, or any other program help file:

1. a new process starts: hh.exe (I suppose this is ok)
    2. a BHO is added (kcccdf.dll or ompng.dll) - I couldn't find kcccdf but I have a ompng.dll copy
    3. home page is changed
    4. search page is changed
    5. search bar is changed

spyware guard is reporting:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NEW BHO DETECTION ALERT
    On 13:11:31 05/03/2004 a new BHO installation attempt was detected.
    BHO: {BB90E704-50FF-4D3C-A7B8-B7BE9F0B775A}
    ProgramID: n/a
    File Location: C:\WINDOWS\System32\kcccdf.dll
    User Action Taken: REMOVE BHO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BROWSER HIJACK ALERT - BROWSER PAGE CHANGED
    On 13:11:41 05/03/2004 a browser page change was detected.
    Registry Location: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\
    Value Name: Search Page
    Old Value: <none>
    New Value: res://%43%3a%5c%57%49%4e%44%4f%57%53%5c%53%79%73%74%65%6d%33%32%5c%6b%63%63%63%64%66%2e%64%6c%6c/%73%70%2e%68%74%6d%6c
    User Action Taken: RESTORE OLD VALUE

On 13:11:48 05/03/2004 a browser page change was detected.
    Value Name: Search Bar
    New Value: res://%43%3a%5c%57%49%4e%44%4f%57%53%5c%53%79%73%74%65%6d%33%32%5c%6b%63%63%63%64%66%2e%64%6c%6c/%73%70%2e%68%74%6d%6c

On 13:11:52 05/03/2004 a browser page change was detected.
    Registry Location: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\

On 13:11:54 05/03/2004 a browser page change was detected.
    Registry Location: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\
    Value Name: Search Bar

NEW BHO DETECTION ALERT
    On 14:11:01 05/05/2004 a new BHO installation attempt was detected.
    BHO: {CE41AC6E-C0EA-423E-BA7C-E2BACFD0E387}
    File Location: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ompng.dll

On 14:11:08 05/05/2004 a browser page change was detected.
    New Value: res://%43%3a%5c%57%49%4e%44%4f%57%53%5c%53%79%73%74%65%6d%33%32%5c%6f%6d%70%6e%67%2e%64%6c%6c/%73%70%2e%68%74%6d%6c

NEW BHO DETECTION ALERT
    On 14:12:09 05/05/2004 a new BHO installation attempt was detected.
    BHO: {29210347-A699-46AC-92AF-562C2B3855F3}
    File Location: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ompng.dll

On 14:12:12 05/05/2004 a browser page change was detected.
    New Value: res://%43%3a%5c%57%49%4e%44%4f%57%53%5c%53%79%73%74%65%6d%33%32%5c%6f%6d%70%6e%67%2e%64%6c%6c/%73%70%2e%68%74%6d%6c

On 14:12:18 05/05/2004 a browser page change was detected.
    Value Name: Start Page
    Old Value: http://www.google.ro/
    New Value: about:blank

24. RRB

RRB Registered Member

Any fix for this problem yet? I am hoping successful installation and runniing Spyware Blaster will fix my problem with home page defalting to "about: blank". If not, any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

RRB

25. Tiv1960

Tiv1960 Registered Member

I too am having the "bad sector or virus, please reinstall it" error coming up. I have tried spybot, adware, browser hijackacker blaster, and none seem to help. Still have problem when I try to execute certain programs. Browser hijack blaster didn't even stop the home page from being hijacked.

Anyone out there have a clueo_O? This is getting very frustrating. It seems there are many of us out there with the same problem. An undiscovered viruso_O??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.