Ubuntu 11.4 going to release today keep your finger cross

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

4. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

Just downloading it now, not sure at what time it went live on the servers? :)

5. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

It's not officially released yet. I should add that they could make some last minute change to the isos so take my post with a grain of salt.

Later...

6. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

It has now ;)

Incredibly slow for me on Live CD which is unusual. I am going to install, see what happens. Unity is going to take some getting used to, although I am prepared to give it a shot and see what happens.

Has anyone had time to take it for a spin yet, thoughts?

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Check for available downloads at your nearest Ubuntu Mirror.

-- Tom

8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hows the stability guys speed is very slow here going to download tomorrow :rolleyes:

9. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I tried updating beta 2, but between the updater randomly crashing, and the slow connection to the Ubuntu server, that was pretty much impossible. Downloading a fresh ISO now.

*It should be noted that if you can, use the torent download instead of downloading directly. You'll not only take a TON of strain off their servers, but you'll help provide it to others downloading too ;)

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Going to update virtual machine later today, but not netbook until a few weeks/months of patching.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Completely disappointed. I ran the alphas fine yet the release doesn't even load. Errors out in early boot with "unable to handle kernel page request at 'xyz location'. The trace mentions "Radeon" a lot so I can only assume it's a hardware incompatibility issue. Shame, wonder if I can get my hands on the alpha ISO so I can revert to it.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Going to give it a try on the desktop here either tonight or tomorrow. Not sure yet whether Unity will be a good thing or not, although I do like the new look, and I also like change. So we'll see...

13. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Glad that update I tried didn't work. Installed a fresh ISO, grub is completely gone, used my recovery disk, booted into 11.04, and it freezes at the plymouth screen :doubt:

14. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

It's still very buggy. I couldn't get the Update Manager to run (still), or Additional Drivers. But I'm trying to get it in ship-shape, it will take a lot of time that's for sure. I need to compile a few drivers, and get my wireless working properly.

Good luck downloading anything from their servers for the next few days ;)

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Didn't have any problem here. Got it off their servers in 9 minutes..... :)

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

First download was very slow: 20 kb/s. Canceled that one.
    Second download from better mirror was very fast: 1.1 mb/s. Didn't took long.

17. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Very happy with the new Software Center, am finally able to install 10+ items at the same time, without it going buggy on me.

18. NormanF

I've experienced a desktop freeze. I don't know if its a bug but the mouse and the desktop freezes after I login on my hard disk setup. It works ok in my USB live environment.

I think there's a bug in Natty that locks up the desktop. I have never seen this in my Linux Mint install.

19. s23

s23 Registered Member

I encountered a strange problem. After install and restarting, I cannot see the grub menu... my monitor showed a page where there is refresh rates and some others informations about the monitor... and after a time counting it shutdown like when you choose "to sleep after x time of inactivity". I need uncomment the line "GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480" to it show properly. EVen with the NVIDIA proprietary graphics this behaviour occur.

20. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Pretty nice here so far. Been using it since last night, and no significant glitches or issues for me. The update/repo servers are bogged down, but that's normal at release time. Banshee crashed on me about 4 times while scanning my mp3 library, but other than that, nothing bad has happened. I like the new interface a lot, although it does take a little time to figure things out at first. Anyway, so far so good. I have no complaints.

Edit: I spoke too soon. :) I made the mistake of unintalling the fglrx driver for my ATI graphics because I was having some minor issues with it, and for some very strange reason, that seems to have broken my Banshee mp3 playback, which was working fine. So I tried installing the driver again, but no go. Banshee is broken. Oh well. This is the kind of stuff I don't have much patience for. I don't really feel like trying to troubleshoot this issue now. Looking at the Ubuntu forums it appears there are a lot of other issues as well. Might be a good idea to hold off for a while, or just wait for the next release in November, which might be more polished.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  22. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

I'm eagerly waiting for a review on Dedoimedo.com, hope it comes up soon! :)

23. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Are they gonna push Unity out to LTS users?

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I would assume so, at least in future. GNOME 2 fallback will be removed in Oneiric, which is the release before the next LTS version. But if you're currently using Lucid, you'll be safe for now.

On the bright side, there'll be Linux Mint, and probably a Gubuntu spin as well.

25. NormanF

Linux Mint will do GNOME 3 right. Their quality is excellent - that is what happens when developers pay attention to the little details and the end user experience.

Something Canonical forgot when it rushed a very buggy product out to the market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.