Doggy love!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by NanDog, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

A friend forwarded this interesting article on the relationships that people have with their dogs and all the ramifications therein. It's an entertaining read ("dog", are you listening? :D )

http://slate.msn.com/id/2098359/

Enjoy, all you canine types out there! *puppy*

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Here is a little clip

*puppy* TEN COMMANDMENTS OF A RESPONSIBLE PET OWNER *puppy*

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.
    2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
    3. Place your trust in me - it is crucial for my well being.
    4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I HAVE ONLY YOU!
    5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
    6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'LL NEVER FORGET IT.
    7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
    8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food. I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart may be getting old and weak.
    9. Take care of me when I get old. You too, will grow old.
    10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or, "Let it happen in my absence. "Everything is easier for ME if you are there. Remember, I love you.

3. dog

dog Guest

Hey Nandog!

Interesting article ... me & my kids (pets) fall into this category ...

Surrogate love: Certain people treat their dogs like family members rather than pets—substitutes for the children or spouses they don't have or don't like. Such owners lavish all the toys, food, activities, and affection on their dog that they would customarily give children. But the dogs don't talk back, drink and smoke pot in the basement, or discover and point out our stupidity and failings. In surrogate love, unlike partner or victim love, the dog can sometimes be a one-for-one replacement for a human.

and Victim love too! ... They were all rescued from abusive situations.

On a lighter note - I love my Kids ... here's a pic of one of them. :)

Dog - *puppy*

Attached Files:

4. dog

dog Guest

Definitely words we live by. :)

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

ahhhhhh ..... Dog, that is the closest puppy I've seen yet to LWM's Pixel Pup *puppy*

Mine is not quite that tiny..she is a black lab/wolfhound cross (90+ lbs) and just a big ball of love when you come in the house (if she knows you) :D

One of the best things you can do for your pet, is take them to puppy school. They love to learn and it gives them confidence too.

6. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

bigc, thanks! That was a very moving post, especially for us doggy types. I'm pretty damned fond of my 12-year old, diabetic, hypothyroidic, blind Siberian Husky, Nanda! And dog, that "kid" is very, very cute! Who is that anyway?

7. dog

dog Guest

Baby Bear! - 16yrs old going on 4 ... suriisis of the liver ... but you'd never know it ... the miracles of medicine. (sorry about the spelling)

:)

Dog - *puppy*

Ps. Bear say's thanks for the compliments, Nandog and Snap ... she passes on a kiss too! :-*

8. snapdragin

16 yrs old!?! :eek: Holy cow how come we can't look that cute when we get old. :( :D

9. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Wow, 16 years! You guys are lucky to have had one another for so long!!

10. snapdragin

Hi hotdog, and welcome.

I do not believe anyone was thinking along those lines, so let's stay on topic please, and not try to steer the thread in another direction. ;)

Regards,

snap

11. snapdragin

I don't usually post too many pics, but this is my 'puppy' :D She's almost 12.
    (don't anyone laugh now ---- she was having a bad hair-day)
    *puppy*

Attached Files:

12. dog

dog Guest

You trained her well, Snap ... Self Grooming, I see! :) he he he

Adorable ... little face :)

What's the little Ladies name?

Dog - *puppy*

13. snapdragin

Thank you Dog, but she's not really little. If she stands on her hind legs she is taller than I am. :ninja:

She loves the water, so that's why she has a pool of her own. rofl! But she is trained well...even has a certificate from puppy school! No kidding. :D

Her name is Lisa. :-*

14. dog

dog Guest

Our mutual desire to be together and to love each other has ... helped us feel a little healthier, live a little longer, and be a lot happier! :D *pertains to All my Kids ;)

I always try to repay them for all they have given me ... but no matter what we all do, and no matter how hard we all try ... it just doesn't compete ... with what we have all receive from our "Kids"

Dog - *puppy*

15. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

hotdog aka doghunter,

You posts were removed for being OT.

Pieter

16. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Well said, dog, very well said! If we could still give karma cookies, I would've just baked you a batch! :)

17. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Nandog,

We'll all have to bake a batch ... And give them to those that really deserve them ... Nanda, Lisa, Bear and her two feline brothers ... And of course the billion other "kids" that give their gift unconditionally to their parents. ;)

It' was easy for me to make the statement ... I only put their actions into words, I'm just glad to be aware of it ... appreciate it ... return it ... and NEVER take it for granted (sp?) :)

Sincerely,

Steve - aka dog - *puppy*

18. root

root Registered Member

My best friend Bill is a Mexican food junkie. Here you will see him trying to get another taco.

Attached Files:

19. dog

dog Guest

Mexican food junkie, eh? :) Bill has polite manner's!

My Bear has a similar addiction ... her's is "Swiss Chalet Chicken" :D and is just as polite ... lol Her method is to sit quitely in beside you and nod her head a few times.

How old's Bill BTW?

Steve - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2004
  20. root

root Registered Member

Bills a little under two years old I guess. Got him from the shelter. Had to have both hips rebuilt because of arthritis. He has recovered from that fairly well.

How can you not love a face like that?

Attached Files:

21. dog

dog Guest

Sorry to hear he's had a tuff time, and glad to know he's getting better. Yes, that is one cute face. ;) Say hi to Bill for me and tell him I wish him well.

BTW I saw another tread ... that you too are recovering from surgery ... I hope you are doing well ... glad you quit smoking .... Congradulations ... I sure wish I could do the same.

The good thing is you have each other ... I'm sure that helps with the healing ... and the special bond you have with Bill will get stronger and stronger as a result. :)

dog - *puppy*

ps. who is that beside Bill?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2004
  22. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Hey, root, I'll add my congrats for your own health issues! But more importantly, let's talk dogs!! I gotta tell ya, I love Bill's nose! It's about 1/4 pink and maybe 3/4 black. Much like my Siberian's but her's is pink on the top and black underneath. Man.....Bill's only 2 years old and already had hip reconstruction? Sorry for that but certainly glad to hear that the furball is doing OK! And I'll add to dog's question: who's that shy and retiring pup in the background? :cool:

23. root

root Registered Member

Yea, that color scheme on Bills face is strange. Gives him that unique look. I'm having trouble keeping Bills weight down as I can't get out and run with him. If he doesn't get too heavy, he does pretty good on his hips.
    The other doggie in the background is Wiley. He was half cocker and half lab. Got him in 1990 and had to have him put down the latter part of last year. That was tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.